Larry Brooks: Lindgren considering leaving U. of Minn to come to NYR

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Russ Cohen talks on the radio occasionally and has 3700 twitter followers while following 2900, but not even under his own name, rather under the name of "Sportsology" - his website. He hasn't exactly amassed a following or reputation.

This is his current top 11 ranking of the coming draft:
  1. Rasmus Dahlin – D – Frolunda – SHL
  2. Brady Tkachuk – LW – Boston University – NCAA
  3. Andrei Svechnikov – RW – Barrie Colts – OHL
  4. Filip Zadina – RW – Halifax Mooseheads – QMJHL
  5. Oliver Wahlstrom – RW -U18 – NTDP
  6. Noah Dobson – D – Acadie-Bathhurst Titan – QMJHL
  7. Quinn Hughes (photo above) – D – Michigan University – NCAA
  8. Joel Farabee – LW – U18 – NTDP
  9. Evan Bouchard – D – London Knights – OHL
  10. Ty Smith – D – Spokane Chiefs – WHL
  11. Adam Boqvist – D – Brynas – Super Elit
To put it this way, I disagree with a few of his prospect assessments, just based on that.

Nice to hear he told you nice things about Lindgren, but that seems like a generic train of thought posted rapidly on a blog. Not really a scouting report or anything other than a few buzzwords strung together that you could find on the quick reactions to a million talking heads the day of the Nash trade.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Right on, I’ve lurked around these parts since ‘08 or so. Always was too superstitious to post during our recent ‘golden era’... and now that it’s over and we’re changing the whole team up, I said “Ah, **** it.” You guys are all solid, knowledgable and are 10x better journalists than all of the tri-state beat writers (goons) lol. I’m just now joining this hilarious, yet infitinely informative party.

Man oh man, I would be so jazzed if Sutter would take the reigns and bring up all of our kids. Only guy besides Q or one of those dynamo junior/college coaches I want near this team. I really hope he comes out of retirement to smack this league with a recharged, young and hungry Rangers team. Pleeeeaasseee

Brooks is a good writer, when he isn't playing rumor monger, he's good.

I have mixed feelings about Sutter. Very defensive minded, after having a very offensive minded coach. They need someone who is well rounded. If Chicago fires Quenneville, I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

I have mixed feelings about Sutter. Very defensive minded, after having a very offensive minded coach. They need someone who is well rounded. If Chicago fires Quenneville, I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.

Yeah, Larry can be good, and it’s definitely a plus the team straight leaks stuff through him - when they want.

Of course Q would be ideal, but Sutter isn’t a bad back up plan. This summer is really going to be insane for this team. Talk about crucial decisions for the future..

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Lindgren will spend all of next season in the AHL and then we will really see what kind of prospect we have in him. I think the Woldpack have been doing very good with development our prospects this year especially.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Russ Cohen talks on the radio occasionally and has 3700 twitter followers while following 2900, but not even under his own name, rather under the name of "Sportsology" - his website. He hasn't exactly amassed a following or reputation.

To put it this way, I disagree with a few of his prospect assessments, just based on that.

Nice to hear he told you nice things about Lindgren, but that seems like a generic train of thought posted rapidly on a blog. Not really a scouting report or anything other than a few buzzwords strung together that you could find on the quick reactions to a million talking heads the day of the Nash trade.

Gonna end w a D aren’t we

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Gonna end w a D aren’t we
There Will very likely be a flurry of Activity from our side meaning we could amass more assets before the draft to either move up to Top 4 or trade for a younger prospect/player. I think we might see both scenarios unfold. We may well choose a D anyways. Very interesting times ahead for sure, except playoff hockey which I will refuse to watch(live anyways).

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
There Will very likely be a flurry of Activity from our side meaning we could amass more assets before the draft to either move up to Top 4 or trade for a younger prospect/player. I think we might see both scenarios unfold. We may well choose a D anyways. Very interesting times ahead for sure, except playoff hockey which I will refuse to watch(live anyways).
I still think we come away with Boqvist, just a hunch

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, Larry can be good, and it’s definitely a plus the team straight leaks stuff through him - when they want.

Of course Q would be ideal, but Sutter isn’t a bad back up plan. This summer is really going to be insane for this team. Talk about crucial decisions for the future..

Absolutely. This is the summer that could really shape Gorton's destiny as GM of the Rangers.

It's the most important 1st round of a draft they've ever had, the RFA contracts are extremely important and do they go making a big trade or try to get Tavares?

A lot of questions to be answered come this summer.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Eh, not really. I didn't say it was a scouting report either, just what was said.

All I know is that I trust what he's saying and I know for a fact that he's connected as I've gotten to talk to some high profile people as well thanks due in part to him.

Edit: PM me and I'll explain a little.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Personally I'd prefer a young coach like Keefe but I do like Sutter as a coach. If he were our next coach I can't see him coaching the team like they were the Kings because the players the Rangers have are quite a lot different from what the Kings have. Maybe Chytil will resemble Kopitar some day but basically we've been built as a smaller, lighter, faster team. We have no Doughty, no Kopitar, no Carter. We don't have a forward who will play like Dustin Brown. A good coach figures out what he has and puts his players in situations where they are most apt to succeed. Over time the character can be changed but that takes time. We're going to be re-identifying but you still need to find the players you want to re-identify with. That's why a younger coach--more use to working with younger players might be the best scenario IMO---but some of what's going to happen may be dependent on how fast Gorton, Drury, Sather and Dolan think this team can be turned around and so Sutter might look like a good idea to them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I like Tkachuk--but not at 2. More like 5 or 6. Boqvist would be 3 or 4. It could be that those are the first 11 players taken but I don't think it will be in that order.

Reactions: GregSirico

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'd say there's only two real surprises me for me on that list --- Tkachuk at 2 and Boqvist at 11.

Even Farabee at 8 doesn't surprise me, because I think he's a hell of a prospect and a bit undervalued.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'd say there's only two real surprises me for me on that list --- Tkachuk at 2 and Boqvist at 11.

Even Farabee at 8 doesn't surprise me, because I think he's a hell of a prospect and a bit undervalued.

Remember that last year Liljegren dropped to 17 last year. I thought for sure he’d go top 10.

Reactions: GregSirico

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Remember that last year Liljegren dropped to 17 last year. I thought for sure he’d go top 10.

There was a lot of talk about how disappointing he was last year leading up to the draft though. The bout with mono certainly didn't help.

There is still some season left for some of these guys so we'll see how this all plays out. I can see guys jumping up because of strong finishes rather than guys falling due to playing poorly ala Liljegren.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Vilardi was another one who dropped.

And that's the thing, we're seeing a lot of consistency in lists heading into this draft, but it would be a departure if there weren't at least one or two surprises --- guys sneaking up in the draft, and other guys sliding.

For all we know, the Rangers very well could be looking at a player that some of us have consistently ranked lower. For all we know, scouts like Dobson more than defenseman not named Dahlin.

We all have an idea of who we like, but it's important not to get too married to the lists we've formed in our heads.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
So I guess whether they start Lindgren's contract in 2017-18 or 2018-19 will have an impact in his eligibility if there is 2020 expansion.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

I want him pretty badly... seems like a huge character guy WITH high-end skill to boot. Future captain material. Wonder if the Rangers will bypass one of the highly touted D for him...

I think he might be a Rangers fan too

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I want him pretty badly... seems like a huge character guy WITH high-end skill to boot. Future captain material. Wonder if the Rangers will bypass one of the highly touted D for him...

I think he might be a Rangers fan too

Farabee is my personal favorite player in this draft. He's "my guy" for the draft.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->