Post-Game Talk: Like Manti Te'o's girlfriend, the Oilers disappear. Lose 4-3

Aceonfire*

I think we need to keep reminding ourselves how young and inexperienced the key players of this club are.

We'll have games like tonight and the SJ game, and we'll have games like LA and the Canucks ones.

But wow, Petry, Smid, and Whitney were atrocius tonight.

On forward, Hall, Hopkins, and Gagner didn't show up.

The only guys who stood out to me as playing better than usual were Paajarvi and Nick Schultz.

Agreed, Paajarvi played a solid game and broke up a few good chances against.

Whitney has been getting worse every game. I think losing his "A" screwed him up mentally.

I see him gone at the deadline.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Hartikainen up to the top-six for size IMO. Him, Nuge and Ebs had chemistry last year IIRC.

Harti - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yak
Paajarvi - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Jones/Eager/Petrell

Yak can actually keep up with Hall. Nuge/Ebs need a banger. Hemsky gives us some ability in the bottom six.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
If the referee's did not blow the goalie interference call, then this game is going into Overtime.

Wait - that's not what you took from this game, is it?

The Oilers were SCHOOLED. They had no business being in this game, and if there's any bs by Krueger about having lost by only 1 goal, then he isn't the coach for us.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Bipolar Edmonton fans. When we win we are cup contenders, when we lose we're the worst team ever. lol

Yep, there will be ups and downs this season. I think the frustration is just that we were playing against the Flames and it seemed like there was really no urgency. I wonder if we'll see a lot of these games though in a compacted season, where guys are just gassed and losing their legs earlier on.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hartikainen up to the top-six for size IMO. Him, Nuge and Ebs had chemistry last year IIRC.

Harti - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yak
Paajarvi - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Jones/Eager/Petrell

Yak can actually keep up with Hall. Nuge/Ebs need a banger. Hemsky gives us some ability in the bottom six.

Yeah I'm fine with trying this.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
- Honestly, we need to get our heads straight at ES. We can't expect to be overly cute and hope it works. Yes we're skilled, but the most effective way to create offense is through the cycle. We've been doing that pretty well considering, yet in this game we thought it's better to deke through the whole team to score. Or saucer pass through 4 flame sticks. Get back to what works.

- Stop taking stupid ass penalties. There is a ****ing reason we haven't led for a minute this season. Not a single bloody second. Stay at even strength and play smarter. The parade to the box by us is costing us.

- We need to up ante. I swear, after this many years in the rebuild, you'd hope that we didn't have nights like this. Well I hoped we didn't have nights like this. Looks like I was wrong.

- Whitney ****ing sucks. God he is painful to watch.

- Hopefully we can bounce back next game

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Flames wanted it more being 0 and 3, and the Oilers apparently overreacted to the disallowed goals, because that area was uncontested in the 2nd and 3rd periods. That, and they weren't shooting again, which is an easy way to lose a game.

Smyth needs to pull a Brett Hull(realize the game has passed him by and retire), and Smid/Petry need to be broken up if they continue to make so many consistently poor reads. Hall needs to simplify his game as well, he's trying to be too fancy when he needs to be a north/south player who wrecks havoc on the opposing team's defensive strategies instead of trying to deke his way through the middle.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I must say, I love that picture of Iginla and Sam Gagner. I love Iginla, even if he is a Calgary Flame. He has been a great player his whole career, a legend for Canada internationally and just a class act.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i think there is too much individual talent on the top 6. Everything i see is 1 v 5. Hall, eberle, yak are so skilled that they get frustrated when things aren't going their way so they try to do too much.

Oil need some net presence. Even a guy like Daniel winnik would do wonders. Horcoff is just not cutting it as a net presence.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Thats the same last place team we all know and love. Games like this terrify my that we are destined for another bottom 5 finish. It's a HNIC game against the provincial rivals and we turn in just an embarrassing effort for the last 30 minutes or so of the game.

They just gave up. I don't know why I would expect things to be different when the only changes the team made was adding two rookies and a #6 defenseman.
I've been preaching this for a while. Taking baby steps with the roster doesn't usually lead to a quantum leap in the standings. It's not like Tambo went out and signed Parise and Suter.

Ranfordrocks

Feb 16, 2007
i miss ryan jones there missing that energy guy

time to shuffle the lines up

hall gagner eberle
hartikeien rnh yakopov
smyth horcoff hemskey
prv belanger petrell

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
i think there is too much individual talent on the top 6. Everything i see is 1 v 5. Hall, eberle, yak are so skilled that they get frustrated when things aren't going their way so they try to do too much.

Oil need some net presence. Even a guy like Daniel winnik would do wonders. Horcoff is just not cutting it as a net presence.

agree

oilers_smyth_94

Feb 18, 2007
Only thing worse than Mark Lee is this team's performance tonight. TRADE 'EM ALL, I SAY!!

Bottom 6 needs work.

Smyth-Horcoff-?
?-Belanger-?

Smyth looked washed up out there. Horcoff was alright, Belanger didn't impress.
Petrell is soft. Paajarvi was a non-factor. Eager is hurt. Jones is hurt. Hordichuk, forget about it. Hartikainen isn't ready to be that guy.

Defence needs work.

-Petry's in over his head. Needs less ice-time.
-Schultz squared is solid.
-Smid had a bad game.
-Whitney is slow and not playing to the level we need him to.
-Fistric is just a body, he won't be a game changer.
-Potter should sit out forever.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
TSN says Baertschi only played 5 minutes. Why even have the guy in the NHL when he could be in the AHL playing 20 minutes a night? Or was he injured?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad