Post-Game Talk: Like a skipping record, the Bruins lose again in OT… 2-1 Knights

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So he scored 60 last season playing on a stacked team, what does that have anything to do with this season? My bar is hard work regardless of your name.

I thought we had a culture of that, That's why this kid will never be the captain of the Boston Bruins.

The main boards has a section about potential Hart trophy finalists. Pastrnak is in many top 3 and top 5 lists this season. Neutral fans. Pastrnak is dragging the Bruins offensively.

Reactions: nORRis8

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Some players can handle lots of minutes some can't . Marchy and Pasta look worn out by the time OT happens and it's telling . I don't understand why JM doesn't it
He's coaching for his life, his job. Every game is life and death for his career IMO after the terrible job he did in the playoffs. The only thing that will wipe away that stink now is a Stanley Cup win.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I just watched, and there were some positives. The zone exits were better, without lots of episodes hemmed in their own zone. Part of that could be Vegas not bringing that heavy of a forecheck. But there were some touch passes and off-the-boards passes that are new in their repertoire. And the fact they are using the boards and moving north, instead of passing through the middle and/or going backward is far less stressful.

They were also gaining the zone more efficiently. Again, possibly due to Vegas being a bit more passive, but still a good sign.

Wotherspoon may be here to stay. As a depth defenseman, he gets the job done, and Montgomery trusts him on the PK. Boqvist may be here a while, too. I don't know if he played with Zacha in New Jersey, but on the ice with top six players, he doesn't look out of place.

With league parity, every team hits rough stretches; despite three straight losses, they could come home with 4-5 points. Can't complain.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Excellent post. I think the Islander comparison is very valid. The Isles are more physical, while the Bruins may have slightly more talent. Right church, wrong pew.
They are, I agree, but we are definitely headed in that direction. Inevitable with no draft picks/prospects for years but who knows, maybe Sweeney performs free agent magic next year with all that cap space.

I refuse to choose or favor an opponent. All I ask is that whoever Boston draws on any given night, they put forth an honest effort and don't leave me with 1000 unanswered questions over the summer.
I agree with that, but I still would rather not play Florida.

Last year before the playoffs I said they were the one team that worried me. I was hoping it was going to be Pittsburgh. Had it been I think we might have had a long run and met Vegas in the final. Not sure we'd have beaten them, but we'd have been in it.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
And they are healthily in a playoff spot....just rubs me the wrong way that some say that regular season means nothing and yet they can be so bothered by a stretch of poor play....it either matters or it doesn't.
Are you new to fans? We want to win every game and all the championships. Every fan base wants this however unreasonable it sounds

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Some players can handle lots of minutes some can't . Marchy and Pasta look worn out by the time OT happens and it's telling . I don't understand why JM doesn't it
He has said it before, he is there to win games. So that means if he beats his top players into the ground as long as they win then it’s the right call to him. We’ll see if they start to fade if he doesn’t start spreading the time around. It’s one of things you look at evaluating your coach each year

Reactions: hrdpuk

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He has said it before, he is there to win games. So that means if he beats his top players into the ground as long as they win then it’s the right call to him. We’ll see if they start to fade if he doesn’t start spreading the time around. It’s one of things you look at evaluating your coach each year

Pasta averages 20:02 minutes per game Marchand 19:32.

That's pretty much average for top two forwards on a team. Actually less than most of the real stars in the league. The fact that the B's play a high number of OT games also adds to Pasta & Marchand's totals.

Reactions: Ladyfan and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He's coaching for his life, his job. Every game is life and death for his career IMO after the terrible job he did in the playoffs. The only thing that will wipe away that stink now is a Stanley Cup win.
Lmfao

This place is hysterical and so overdramatic after a few overtime losses

He is 89-20-14, he is not coaching for his life in January of the regular season while his team is-once again- in the drivers seat to have the most points in the league. The amount of time Marchand and Pastrnak play is not unusual.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
All 3 players were pathetic on the OT goal. Marchy and Pasta just hanging around center ice, wanting for a break-out pass, and Lindholm could not possibly have played the 2-on-1 any worse. The dman MUST prevent the pass from reaching the weak-side player. Leave the puck to the goalie and Swayman had the angle covered. Pasta and Marchy both are prone to lazy plays, despite their great skill.

The team needs more speed to compete successfully in OT. They don't have it.

No help is coming this year, unless Sweeney does something stupid like trade yet another 1st-round pick. They have a weak prospect pool, little talent in Providence, and little tradeable assets.

Their best hope is that E Lindholm and Hanifin make it to July 1. But they'd likely have to trade Coyle and let DeBrusk and Griz walk to afford them. Don't dislike those 3 players, like them, in fact, but the dollars won't work otherwise.
Those two players make your team better, but how does losing DeBrusk and Coyle not have a negative effect, honestly Hanifan and Lindholm makes your roster change more costly salary wise, and I have to be honest been against a Lindholm signing for ever.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lmfao

This place is hysterical and so overdramatic after a few overtime losses

He is 89-20-14, he is not coaching for his life in January of the regular season while his team is-once again- in the drivers seat to have the most points in the league. The amount of time Marchand and Pastrnak play is not unusual.
I agree with Gordoff, that Monty seems to be coaching for his job night after night .You play 4 game in 6 nights and you have 35-year-old, with bad hips playing over 20 minutes a night. The OT losses concerning but not the end of the world, what it is exposing is the lack of depth and to some degree talent on this roster, there are many fans that did not need a losing streak to see these problems it just magnifies them. Some posters are saying there is some laziness leaking onto this team, I tend to disagree, but do think they are more down. Your head and your heart tell you one thing, but the legs tell you another story. I think Monty thinks he ia coaching a fantasy league with all these lineup and in game changes, and to be blunt although at times it can be exciting his system SUCKS. Donnie boy get these guys some help,I know you went for it last year and does effect what you can do now BUT! get off your ass and get bold and creative.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
In my previous post where I stated 63 and 88 looked exhausted in overtime. I didn't intend to imply they were getting more minutes than the league average for their counterparts.
I'm saying indidual players handle the workload differently . Marchand is 35 and had double hip surgery. He's always had to work hard and he is in excellent shape but the workload in my view is taking it's toll.
Pasta for all his skill looks worn out in overime as expected. Some players are able to handle exhaustion better than others. It's stamina.
Exhaustion makes a player more susceptible to injury.

Again this is my opinion sitting on my sofa I don't have the advantage of ice view and coaching experience.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Pasta averages 20:02 minutes per game Marchand 19:32.

That's pretty much average for top two forwards on a team. Actually less than most of the real stars in the league. The fact that the B's play a high number of OT games also adds to Pasta & Marchand's totals.
Marchand is getting older and has wear and tear. You have to see it. He does give it his all but time is a bitch on us all. You can not run him into the ground and then tell him to up his game in the playoffs too. Pasta is young enough to be fine and he should be the type that amps up in the playoffs and still have some gas.

If the other top 6guys production dip to levels of a third liner and more consistent with their previous seasons they’ll be in trouble. They started the season where all players were making contributions above their usual totals. I’m curious if they keep that up or that dries up. If it does how does Monty react to that will be interesting

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
In my previous post where I stated 63 and 88 looked exhausted in overtime. I didn't intend to imply they were getting more minutes than the league average for their counterparts.
I'm saying indidual players handle the workload differently . Marchand is 35 and had double hip surgery. He's always had to work hard and he is in excellent shape but the workload in my view is taking it's toll.
Pasta for all his skill looks worn out in overime as expected. Some players are able to handle exhaustion better than others. It's stamina.
Exhaustion makes a player more susceptible to injury.

Again this is my opinion sitting on my sofa I don't have the advantage of ice view and coaching experience.
You still see the game, and you have an opinion that is not far off.

Reactions: hrdpuk

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Those two players make your team better, but how does losing DeBrusk and Coyle not have a negative effect, honestly Hanifan and Lindholm makes your roster change more costly salary wise, and I have to be honest been against a Lindholm signing for ever.
The team desperately needs a top center and Lindholm certainly qualifies as one. Since his trade to Calgary, he's averaged 28G, 37A, 65 Pts, and +20 per season in his 5 full seasons in Calgary. He'll be 30 on Dec 2. He's considered one of the best 2-way centers in the game.

Hanifin would give the team another top dman, for a top 4 of McAvoy, Hanifin, Hampus, and Carlo. That's pretty impressive. Love Coyle, but he's way overpaid. Like when he's hot, but frequency ice cold. Hanifin is a huge improvement over Gryz.

How would you improve this team, with their lack of draft picks, tradeable NHL players, and low higher-end list of prospects?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad