Ligue 1 2020-2021

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Do you think this Lille squad are good enough to do some damage in the Champions League or it will really depend on a favorable draw?
Depends who they sell. And Galtier is gone too, which is not good.
Maybe they go to the KO stage, but won't be much of a threat if they sell and don't get as good a coach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Great for Lille, and for the competition in France in general. Unlike Monaco who had some special players and an all round great squad, this Lille seemed to be very workmanlike and defensively solid, and won based around that.

Jose Fonte, at his age, to captain this team to a championship, is a great feat and a solid way to end his career ( not sure how much longer he can keep playing). David growing into the season after adapting, and scoring in key moments is great for both his development and for Canada as a whole. How has Sanches been overall? I felt he left Benfica FAR too early, and had so much to develop in his game. Interested to see thoughts on Tiago Djalo, who I saw started tonight to fill in for Fonte's suspension.
Sanches : good. Can be great at times, but was better last year.
Djalo OK backup.
Fonte great leadership. Had a great speech tonight after the game.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
JD has holds the record for goals scored by a Canadian in a top 5 European League. My bet is he beats it next year and the year after, etc. Going to be his record for a while.

Cool to see him win such a big title after playing in Ottawa only 3 years ago.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Glad Lille finished the job, watched them quite a lot this season. Any rumours about Galtier's replacement?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Nantes vs Toulouse in the playoff. Nantes has several players, who are good enough to play in L1, but it hasn't worked for them as a team. Wonder what will happen with Lafont's loan contract from Fiorentina if Nantes are relegated? I suppose neither the player nor the club want him to play in L2.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Great to see Lille win.

I wonder though why would Galtier leave a champ team and coach them into the Champions League to go coach Nice. Doesn’t look like a step up for him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Get wrecked PSG. I wonder if Lille wants this player from us? He's from Cote d'Ivoire and we would like 70 million for him. Mighty Les Dogues!!!

Nice to see that Payet gets to play Europe and showcase his World Class skills to the rest of the dark age clubs who don't know his name. I can't believe he's not currently playing for one of the top five clubs as a brilliant #10. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead
The Barca bitterness is so funny :laugh:
A shit penalty is a shit penalty and has nothing to do with Barcelona. Everything there made Neymar Jr. look like a porous jackarse.

Reactions: luiginb and gscorer

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nantes vs Toulouse in the playoff. Nantes has several players, who are good enough to play in L1, but it hasn't worked for them as a team. Wonder what will happen with Lafont's loan contract from Fiorentina if Nantes are relegated? I suppose neither the player nor the club want him to play in L2.
Nantes has already paid the clause and will sell Lafont. It's been agreed with Lafont no matter what. Big teams are interested including Lille to replace Maignan. But bigger teams abroad too.
Nantes has Blas, Louza and Kolo Muani who are very very interesting. Rest is meh.
Toulouse is red hot with their young team. I hope they promote but at the same time, Nantes in L2 is hurting.

I have a former student who just signed pro there (at Nantes) and who's very close from the A team. Going to L2 might give him the playing time sooner rather than later.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Great to see Lille win.

I wonder though why would Galtier leave a champ team and coach them into the Champions League to go coach Nice. Doesn’t look like a step up for him.
Double the salary, a huge bank account to play with (exact oppositive to Lille), he's himself a southerner, and Nice has some very very good young talent. Gouiri, Claude-Maurice, Dolberg, Boudaoui, Thuram, Todibo, (they might also try to keep Saliba) etc... Someone is playing FM with them.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A shit penalty is a shit penalty and has nothing to do with Barcelona. Everything there made Neymar Jr. look like a porous jackarse.
*sigh*
Go and watch a tape of Neymar's penalties. He does exactly that every time. And scores nearly every time.
I've never seen anyone shoot penalties like Neymar. It's quite amazing to see.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also lost in all of this is that Monaco are in the CL only because Lyon lost the last game at home to Nice... Monaco's biggest rival.
Had Nice (who had nothing to play for) dropped this game like many many teams would have done, Lyon would in the CL and Monaco in the EL.

Good job Nice to play in the spirit of the game.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Does anyone really like PSG at all? They remind of the rich kid in the 80s movies that you'd love to see fail.
Yes, that image has been developped a lot by fans from teams that were particularly outraged that a new comer could join the big spenders club. Quite outragous indeed since those fans were very much used to being the only rich kids around.
Seeing a new neighbour with clearly the best house in the area and more spending power makes all those rich kids trying to mock and dislike him.

That's exactly how you seem to me :)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wonder what Lyon will look like next season. Memphis had 2 more assists in the final game but I only saw the highlights; his second assist was pretty nice. With him leaving and missing out on the CL I have to imagine a few others will leave too. Lyon has a great academy but have to think they're in for a rough couple seasons?

Love that Jonathan David really grew into his own in France. Like I said before I think it was a good move for him for his development and I think that he should stay another season as well (even though I would LOVE to have him at Liverpool I'd much rather see him get the time he needs in a tough league where he can maybe even become the focal point of their offence before trying to make a move somewhere like Liverpool.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Yes, that image has been developped a lot by fans from teams that were particularly outraged that a new comer could join the big spenders club. Quite outragous indeed since those fans were very much used to being the only rich kids around.
Seeing a new neighbour with clearly the best house in the area and more spending power makes all those rich kids trying to mock and dislike him.

That's exactly how you seem to me :)
Nah, everybody liked Monaco in their cinderella run, and Lyon in their CL years. PSG are just extremely unlikable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, everybody liked Monaco in their cinderella run, and Lyon in their CL years. PSG are just extremely unlikable.
Because they didn't threaten anyone's position. It was a one year thing, nothing else.
If Monaco was spending like crazy and challenging for the CL every year, they'd be hated.

Narratives...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does anyone really like PSG at all? They remind of the rich kid in the 80s movies that you'd love to see fail.
I mean everyone likes underdogs, but the ones who deserve to win it deserve to win it. What's messed up domestic leagues like BuLi and Farmers Only is the CL money. Sure PSG hasn't won it, but is backed by oil and has made a lot of deep runs to get more funds.

Montpellier when they had Giroud!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Because they didn't threaten anyone's position. It was a one year thing, nothing else.
If Monaco was spending like crazy and challenging for the CL every year, they'd be hated.

Narratives...
I do believe PSG as you like it or not will get the same worldwide recognition of Bayern Munich. A team that will win or challenge every domestic cups possible but fail to get the same recognition outside France. And yes I am aware of big fan club for Bayern Munich outside Germany and PSG too outside France but not to the same magnitude you would expect for a club this dominant in world football.

And yes I do enjoy seeing a team like Dortmund or Leipzig giving a run at Bayern. It's not just ligue 1 related.

I also enjoyed Leicester run for the EPL too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad