Ligue 1 2018/19

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Evilo, you happened to see the Marseille-Bordeaux game? Wondering if Caleta-Car is looking any better after the apparent hot trash start to his career in France.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Talk about desastrous transfers and salaries.

Top 10 salaries at OM
Balotelli 500k
Strootman 500k
Payet 500k
Gustavo 500k
Thauvin 422k
Mandanda 360k
Germain 330k
Rami 300k
Abdennour 250k
Sanson 240k

All had transfer fees. Only two have performed well (Mandanda and Thauvin) and one has stretches (Payet)

OL's salaries :
Depay 300k
Fekir 300k
Dembele 300k
Aouar 300k
Traore 290k
Yanga 280k
Rafael 250k
Lopes 220k
Ndombele 220k
Denayer 220k
Fekir Aouar and Lopes were formed at club. Some were very cheap (Ndombele, Denayer). Only one sucks (Mbiwa) and one is average (Rafael). Other either have stretches or are big time players.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

So may be Mbappe alone vs a team that dropped points in only 1 game this year. Good luck.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Should be Draxler-Mbappe-Di Maria now.
Incredible how PSG is unlucky at this time every year in terms of injuries and incredible how stars are aligning for United too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Incredible how PSG is unlucky at this time every year in terms of injuries and incredible how stars are aligning for United too.
They should dispose of them regardless of Cavani/Neymar.

Watched their game today. A reminder that the league suffers from the same things Serie A and La liga does. One thing the EPL has over all other leagues. Production!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Still think PSG should beat us somewhat easily. Just so much better in all round imo.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, but the margin for error goes slimer by the day.
The good news is that Verratti played one hour today.
But he won't be 100%.

Reactions: Gecklund

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I really don't know what to expect. But I do know one thing : people put way too much stock into domestic form when considering CL matchups/predictions. It really is a seperate thing of it's own.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think current form wins you CLs.

Current domestic form? Nah.

I could obviously throw out examples like Chelsea, Liverpool or even Real Madrid disproving that theory, but there's far more less extreme examples that show that's just not the case at all.

United are rollin' and are certainly in a great place, which is bound to help, but comparing domestic form as some kind of end-all-be-all is pointless. Look no further than the team I root for.

It's a separate competition, that should be treated as such, and that's not to say current form is irreverent - of course it matters to a degree- but to suggest it's the overriding thing that wins you CL titles is just too far.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Current domestic form? Nah.

I could obviously throw out examples like Chelsea, Liverpool or even Real Madrid disproving that theory, but there's far more less extreme examples that show that's just not the case at all.

United are rollin' and are certainly in a great place, which is bound to help, but comparing domestic form as some kind of end-all-be-all is pointless. Look no further than the team I root for.

It's a separate competition, that should be treated as such, and that's not to say current form is irreverent - of course it matters to a degree- but to suggest it's the overriding thing that wins you CL titles is just too far.
Real Madrid actually proved the theory.
Momentum is important and teams in full confidence will perform better. Sometimes a big CL win translates to league form (see Real last year) sometimes it's the contrary. Liverpool is another prime example last year.
But yes, CL winners are not always the best teams but the teams in the best form when it matters.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
---------Buffon---------
Alves-Silva-Kimpembe-Bernat
----------Marqui----------
-----Verratti-Paredes-----
Di Maria------------Draxler
----------Mbappe----------

Possible than Kehrer starts at RB, Marqui at CB and Alves at DM.
Kurzawa, Verratti, Cavani and Neymar are either out of not 100%. Meunier would have probably started too.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
---------Buffon---------
Alves-Silva-Kimpembe-Bernat
----------Marqui----------
-----Verratti-Paredes-----
Di Maria------------Draxler
----------Mbappe----------

Possible than Kehrer starts at RB, Marqui at CB and Alves at DM.
Kurzawa, Verratti, Cavani and Neymar are either out of not 100%. Meunier would have probably started too.
My biggest problem is that the front three here can still do damage and a lot of it to that back line. I think that Martial, Pogba, and Rashford will do pretty well but I still worry about the United backline.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Evilo, you happened to see the Marseille-Bordeaux game? Wondering if Caleta-Car is looking any better after the apparent hot trash start to his career in France.
Not really. Didn't see the game, but he's still very much trash (so far) from what I've read.
But the whole squad is ill anyway.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My biggest problem is that the front three here can still do damage and a lot of it to that back line. I think that Martial, Pogba, and Rashford will do pretty well but I still worry about the United backline.
I think the front 3 if dangerous for United's D. I also am confident in every defensive aspect of PSG save from Bernat. Marqui/Silva is stil IMO the best CB pairing in the world.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mourinho was in Lille today. After the game, he was interviewed and said he'd love to coach in L1.
Well guess what Mou, it ain't gonna happen.
PSG, Monaco likely don't want you and they're the only ones that can afford you and your demands.
My only fear is that newly-bought Bordeaux goes nuts and signs him to get some buzz.
But they seem smart enough.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Barring a huge late-season collapse, Lille will stick with Galtier for their CL run next season. As I've said earlier on this board, I've always liked Galtier, not sure why he never managed abroad (maybe not high enouh profile). He did well with St.Etienne and now with Lille. His teams seem to be well organised and with some flair thrown in.

You would like Mourinho with Marseille, I'm sure ;) Their owner is a billionaire, but not sure how much money he's willing to invest in the club. Balotelli has started well with them, and they're up to 4th place now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad