Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Brian Boyle (3 years, $2.0 million AAV)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Me neither, Nate was better at his job, and cost less... made no sense to move him if we were planning on going lateral at best with Boyle.

Seems like there was a handshake deal that didn't go through for Yzerman.

Nates play fell off, though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With all these Rangers, it must be making the switch easier for you. :p

LOL, I was driving home from work when I heard it on the NHL radio about Boyle. I was screaming OH YEAH! Then I'm saying to myself I'm rooting for a team in Florida while I'm stuck in NYC traffic. What the hell is wrong with me? :laugh:

One of my friends said to me who is a Rangers fan, "Don't blame you for changing, and since you've been a Dolphins fans for over 20 years then it is kinda fitting to root for another Florida team." :)

My wish list...

Yankees win their 28th World Series
Dolphins win the Super Bowl
Tampa Bay Lightning wins the Stanley Cup

Am I asking for too much?

Ten88Nineteen

May 22, 2011
I thought this was a good possibility after Thompson was dealt, and it really looks like a solid deal.

It was pretty obvious which players on the Rangers were actually able to compete with the Kings in the Finals, and it looks like Yzerman took good notice.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
LOL, I was driving home from work when I heard it on the NHL radio about Boyle. I was screaming OH YEAH! Then I'm saying to myself I'm rooting for a team in Florida while I'm stuck in NYC traffic. What the hell is wrong with me? :laugh:

One of my friends said to me who is a Rangers fan, "Don't blame you for changing, and since you've been a Dolphins fans for over 20 years then it is kinda fitting to root for another Florida team." :)

My wish list...

ya the dolphins are a mess :)

I wasnt wanting moore and spoke on that. To me brian is a better version in all areas than nate and he is HUGE. He can skate to for those who dont know in time you will get it.

I thought he would get 3 to 3.5 myself. So am very happy!! I get those that say is a fourth liner but he can move up and he has scored 20 goals so has it in him to be a better player than shows at least during the season. If can get the playoffs boyle day in and night out of him? He is a beast to deal with.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
Great signing for 2M/year. We might also be able to use his big frame in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit. 6'7" at 244lbs can surely screen a goaltender. Also remember this year when we used Hedman in front of the net? Well I think they might use Boyle on 2nd PP unit, with Callahan on 1st PP unit. He's also 52.9% on Faceoffs, If TB wants to move TJ to W, he can slot in at 3C while Paquette gets 4C? Also Boyle could be a mentor to Paquette..

Area of Need: top 4 RH Dmen, a W/C (per Yzerman), and a Backup G

Signings today: Anton Stralman, Brian Boyle, Evgeny Nabokov

Job well done SFY, Job well done!

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
ya the dolphins are a mess :)

I wasnt wanting moore and spoke on that. To me brian is a better version in all areas than nate and he is HUGE. He can skate to for those who dont know in time you will get it.

I thought he would get 3.5 myself. So am very happy!!

2 Million a year is a good deal.

He is going to bring the hits and he is also one the best PK on the Rangers. Tampa basically landed the Rangers two best PK'ers so that is a plus there. They finished # 3 in the league last season in the PK

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Brian Boyle is the man!
Dont expect fancy moves or gracefulness.
But he makes the ugly look beautiful.
His game defy's logic and reality.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Watching Boyle fight is a train wreck. Dude doesnt back down...feels like even Beaner will knock him on his a$$. Pretty awful...

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

My wish list...

Not for nothing, but I have a better chance of being the ****ing Dalai Lama than the Yankees do at winning the World Series this year.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You guys scored big this free agency. Brian Boyle is a hell of a signing. Nice work.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
As pointed out on BP, Lightning were 23rd on the PK last season. I love Nate but he had a lot to do with that. Callahan+Boyle should help the PK a lot this year.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not for nothing, but I have a better chance of being the ****ing Dalai Lama than the Yankees do at winning the World Series this year.

LOL, yeah Yankees are not looking so good, but hey Jeter 2 for 4 with a double and SB tonight. Sorry trying to think of anything positive.

As pointed out on BP, Lightning were 23rd on the PK last season. I love Nate but he had a lot to do with that. Callahan+Boyle should help the PK a lot this year.

You can pair them up or separate them and they will make a difference on the PK

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think any kind of handshake deal fell through. I think it's pretty obvious that Yzerman was told from Niskanen and Stralman camps that they were interested in signing here. He cleared cap space that he figured he would need to sign one of them, about 5.5M. He got Stralman a bit cheaper so decided to replace Thompson with a better version.

And all the while got a couple extra draft picks while he was at it.

The man is magic.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think any kind of handshake deal fell through. I think it's pretty obvious that Yzerman was told from Niskanen and Stralman camps that they were interested in signing here. He cleared cap space that he figured he would need to sign one of them, about 5.5M. He got Stralman a bit cheaper so decided to replace Thompson with a better version.

And all the while got a couple extra draft picks while he was at it.

The man is magic.

We were in on Iginla right down to the wire too. It actually looked for a bit like Yzerman was willing to clear more salary if need be.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Boyle at $2M AAV for 3 years is a good signing, for any doubters.

He's fantastic at what he does. The only issue is him wanting to have a bigger role. I don't know what was discussed and/or promised, but he's not a guy I'd want on my third line all year. He's an excellent 4th liner who rocks the PK and can wear down good opposition. He can also slot up on the 3rd when needed. He's done so successfully in the past, but we've seen what even a half-season of that leads to. Half our fanbase hated him because Torts rode him too high for long stretches. Have him do what he does best and he's a gem. Then again, who knows what he'll be like when paired with new guys under a new coach. Either way, he'll be missed.

So will Stralman. If he can't keep up his current level of play for the length of this contract, then both signings become great for you guys.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Boyle at $2M AAV for 3 years is a good signing, for any doubters.

He's fantastic at what he does. The only issue is him wanting to have a bigger role. I don't know what was discussed and/or promised, but he's not a guy I'd want on my third line all year. He's an excellent 4th liner who rocks the PK and can wear down good opposition. He can also slot up on the 3rd when needed. He's done so successfully in the past, but we've seen what even a half-season of that leads to. Half our fanbase hated him because Torts rode him too high for long stretches. Have him do what he does best and he's a gem. Then again, who knows what he'll be like when paired with new guys under a new coach. Either way, he'll be missed.

So will Stralman. If he can't keep up his current level of play for the length of this contract, then both signings become great for you guys.

Saw that in the Ranger thread (our management team promised him expanded role and the third line as reason he left the Rangers). Boyle came to fill in for our departed fourth line Center - Thompson. Down the middle Tampa employs Stamkos or Johnson (1C), Filpulla (2C), and a new guy most Ranger fans may have heard of...Drouin. There is no spot for Boyle on third line. Our middle 6 wings are Connolly, Callahan, Killorn, and Kucherov. There is no room for Boyle anywhere on top 3 lines...our Forward situation is clogged up and signed for the foreseeable future. Boyle will have the same role that Thompson employed...take faceoffs, PK, and fourth line duties which I believe is the same role he had in New York.

Sorry Ranger fans ... the delussion that he got promised top 9 minutes by our management team is just wrong. It was probably one of three things. Boyle saw your cap situation and thought you'd be picking lottery next year (I hope). Boyle wanted out of New York altogether and girlfriend lives in Tampa (or so I've heard). Or someone actually wanted to play in a Lightning uniform and not in New York...incredible isn't it? :sarcasm:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
2 great signings for you guys. You win championships with guys like Boyle and Stralman. Neither contract is absurd either.

quick little scouting report.

Boyle: Elite penalty killer, has gotten very very good along the boards. very good cycler. not an overly physical player, but uses his body really well to shield the puck. sometimes it looks like he has horse hooves for hands, and sometimes he looks like hes got a ton more to offer. youll always leave unsatisfied with his game till you remember, he's an elite 4th liner...thats not really surprising.

always elevates his game in the P/O's. hes also VERY good on the faceoff dots.

Stralman:
Excellent in all facets but despite playing an elite possession game you dont get the offensive output you expect from a guy who has the puck as much as him. excells in 1 on 1 battles that arent overly physical. great stick, great at using his body to shield the puck and get it out of harms way.

not particularly great at anything offensively. not a great shot, not a great passer, hes good at everything not great at anything (other than puck possession).

being a right hander increases his value 500x than if he were a lefty. I also think playign with Staal increased his stats a lot despite what the splits show. i think it gave him the confidence to make a little riskier passes that connected had he not had staal. really, those 2 were symbiotic, they helped each others games tremendously.

anchored on your 2nd pairing, he'd be a damn good #2 RHD. if hes your first pairing defenseman, i feel like the tougher matchups would be harder for him to handle.

he got murdered by Lucic on a hit once and it killed his shoulder. He can take a lot of punishment but thats not his game.

look out for his hipchecks. twice a season he levels people with huge hip checks that send them flying. its always awesome to watch.

in all you guys stole 2 of the best Ranger performers this year. our boards are extremely upset at losing both of these guys, especially to an EC team, and even moreso since their contracts are both reasonable.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
2 great signings for you guys. You win championships with guys like Boyle and Stralman. Neither contract is absurd either.

Boyle: Elite penalty killer, has gotten very very good along the boards. very good cycler. not an overly physical player, but uses his body really well to shield the puck. sometimes it looks like he has horse hooves for hands, and sometimes he looks like hes got a ton more to offer. youll always leave unsatisfied with his game till you remember, he's an elite 4th liner...thats not really surprising.

Stralman:
Excellent in all facets but despite playing an elite possession game you dont get the offensive output you expect from a guy who has the puck as much as him. excells in 1 on 1 battles that arent overly physical. great stick, great at using his body to shield the puck and get it out of harms way.

not particularly great at anything offensively. not a great shot, not a great passer, hes good at everything not great at anything (other than puck possession).

being a right hander increases his value 500x than if he were a lefty. I also think playign with Staal increased his stats a lot despite what the splits show. i think it gave him the confidence to make a little riskier passes that connected had he not had staal. really, those 2 were symbiotic, they helped each others games tremendously.

anchored on your 2nd pairing, he'd be a damn good #2 RHD. if hes your first pairing defenseman, i feel like the tougher matchups would be harder for him to handle.

he got murdered by Lucic on a hit once and it killed his shoulder. He can take a lot of punishment but thats not his game.

look out for his hipchecks. twice a season he levels people with huge hip checks that send them flying. its always awesome to watch.

in all you guys stole 2 of the best Ranger performers this year. our boards are extremely upset at losing both of these guys, especially to an EC team, and even moreso since their contracts are both reasonable.

Appreciate the friendly visit.:)

toob

Dec 31, 2010

Stralman:

thanks for this

Obviously both of these guys played great during the playoffs but what was the whole season like for them? Not too far off the playoff performance?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Congrats on the Boyle signing \o/ I hope he wont be out of place with his enchanced role (as was his reason for wanting to leave the Rangers).

Boyle is a tremendous PK'er and will never lack in effort. He's also a gentle giant so dont expect him to win any fights, but he will throw the gloves against Chara if need be

Cally24Bolts

Apr 2, 2014
Central Florida
Well....2 more reasons to cheer for Lightning next year......Cally and Boyle penalty kill oh my.......Boyle is worth a roster spot alone for his penalty kills and key face off wins.....Boyle is not flashy but is big hard worker who uses his size especially in the corners controlling and cycling puck...and also set up Hagelin on several key short handed goals in playoffs....Stralman is a good young defenseman with alot of upside.....As a Ranger fan I hate that we lost them but unfortunetly we have way too many key free agents and we were bound to lose some......

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

My wish list...

My friend, you have excellent choices in sports teams. I would love all 3 of those outcomes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad