Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Vlad Namestnikov (2 years, $1.9375M AAV, $3.875M total)

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Interesting quote here:

"(Namestnikov) pretty much became a regular in the lineup," Yzerman said. "He's very versatile. Ultimately we see his best position is in the middle, at center, but he can play in all positions and he has the ability to play on both special teams as well. We're pleased with the step he took last year, we expect him to continue with that. Eventually he will settle into a specific position with a more defined role on our team. I'm not going to give you a timeline or (say) it's going to happen today or a week from now, a month from now. It will all work itself out."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/yzerman-expects-to-get-nikita-kucherov-signed/2287042

Now you obviously can't read too much into this sort of statement, as players are often in a team's plans right up until they get traded. And a player who does not currently have a defined role on a team is just the sort of guy who does get traded. But reading between the lines it does sound like Yzerman sees Namestnikov taking over the 3C role from Filppula at some point in the near future. Which is what I think most of us were expecting anyway, but it's nice to see some semblance of confirmation that Stevie Y. agrees with us.

Now if we can only dump Filppula...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Namestnikov still has room for improvement. I see a guy with some potential and can reach that potential if he's given the chance to. Not easy to do that when you have 4 experienced centers in front of you. I hope he gets more ice time this season and takes his game to another level. I think he's capable of it if given the chance.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Interesting quote here:

"(Namestnikov) pretty much became a regular in the lineup," Yzerman said. "He's very versatile. Ultimately we see his best position is in the middle, at center, but he can play in all positions and he has the ability to play on both special teams as well. We're pleased with the step he took last year, we expect him to continue with that. Eventually he will settle into a specific position with a more defined role on our team. I'm not going to give you a timeline or (say) it's going to happen today or a week from now, a month from now. It will all work itself out."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/yzerman-expects-to-get-nikita-kucherov-signed/2287042

Now you obviously can't read too much into this sort of statement, as players are often in a team's plans right up until they get traded. And a player who does not currently have a defined role on a team is just the sort of guy who does get traded. But reading between the lines it does sound like Yzerman sees Namestnikov taking over the 3C role from Filppula at some point in the near future. Which is what I think most of us were expecting anyway, but it's nice to see some semblance of confirmation that Stevie Y. agrees with us.

Now if we can only dump Filppula...

Yzerman is the epitome of common sense, that's why I'm a big fan of his.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yzerman is the epitome of common sense, that's why I'm a big fan of his.

Yeah, I'm still not a big fan of the Stamkos resigning but at least I understand why he did it, and even the moves he's made that haven't worked out had a logical rationale behind them. I don't think he's made a move yet that was a complete headscratcher.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Random question: Did Namestnikov spend more time at any one particular position this season? It seemed like he spent a good deal of time at center in the playoffs, is that indicative of the early parts of the season as well? Because I thought I recall him at LW too early on.

If you had to pick, what position did he play more at in 2015-16?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's first and foremost a center and the goal is to try to stop bouncing him around the lines. Yzerman acknowledged that when he re-signed Vlad, but it's true he can play LW too. The thing is that Tampa has already Stamkos, Johnson, Filppula and Boyle as natural centers, so when everyone was healthy Vlad was playing out of position. For salary cap reason Filppula could be gone before Callahan comes back, Namestnikov would then get the full responsibility of the 3rd line.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
I'm very late to this party, but if Namestnikov shows solid improvement again in the first couple months I can see him centering 1 of the first 2 lines with Stamkos on the wing ... Vladdy and Johnson could be interchangeable, imo ... Vladdy and Stamkos or Vladdy and Kuch.

My understanding from afar is that Cooper prefers Stamkos on the wing, while Stamkos prefers Centre ... with Stamkos staying in TB because it is "the best fit" vs teams that gtd him the top Centre slot, does that mean their is some buy-in there or was he pushing for Centre during negotiations?

Personally, I like Stamkos better on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad