Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Steven Stamkos (8 years, $8.5M cap hit, $68M total)

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Well you have to think it was the smarter move by Stamkos. Of course depending on how you look at it. Imo he took the best deal here because anything more than that handcuffs a team. The no in-state taxes helps out a lot. Already comfortable here, a contending team and a good organization. It appears to me that he was just holding out for more money from here. Tried to get into a staring contest with SY and you just don't do that.

All strong points to what was obviously a well thought out decision on his part. Toss in the fact that the Lightning organization has one of THE best owner in pro sports and Tampa's not such a bad place to spend your career.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Speculation. Gross numbers, yeah, but net?

It's all speculation until we know the concrete numbers. Toronto also probably didn't even make the biggest offer. That likely came from Buffalo, where the tax difference isn't as big. But it's all speculation unless we know the actual numbers.

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
My theory now on the whole thing is he always wanted to stay in Tampa Bay and there was never any question in his mind, but his agent wanted him to hold off, hoping for a higher offer from Yzerman. When it was getting down to crunch time and no further offer ever came forth, I think he called his agent and said he was done waiting and wanted to sign. That's the only way it makes sense to me for him to have waited all this time only to take the same offer we gave him months ago. I like the way it ended though so I'm not going to complain.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
It's all speculation until we know the concrete numbers. Toronto also probably didn't even make the biggest offer. That likely came from Buffalo, where the tax difference isn't as big. But it's all speculation unless we know the actual numbers.

Leafs fan here in peace. TBH, I never wanted the Leafs to sign Stamkos. Not that I would have anything against having a player of his skill on the team, but we are kind of in a tough spot with the cap, and having 3-4 overpaid players that still have 1 year left on their contracts. Not to mention our team is still years away from contending for the playoffs.

At any rate, great signing for you guys. Hopefully we'll see ya in the eastern finals in half a decade! :laugh:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I never thought of stamkos as an executive meeting him last when he was a young man not captain etc..

he has the interest smarts and charisma to lead in office or on ice.

When he talks about all this the process his respect of yzerman stuff like that?

I see him going the long haul and being in hockey after his career is over in a big capacity.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Glad he resigned, it shows he cares more about his legacy than he cares about money. As much as I respected Stamkos before, I actually respect him even more now. As a Pens fan, no team scared me more than the Lightning, you guys have a great future ahead of you & Stamkos will be the face of your success.

Congrats Lightning fans, you kept your captain, now it's time to take things to the next level, good luck!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Glad he resigned, it shows he cares more about his legacy than he cares about money. As much as I respected Stamkos before, I actually respect him even more now. As a Pens fan, no team scared me more than the Lightning, you guys have a great future ahead of you & Stamkos will be the face of your success.

Congrats Lightning fans, you kept your captain, now it's time to take things to the next level, good luck!

I remember those commercials...

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Apparently Toronto only offered 5 years. But unfair tax benefits, am I right?

1145px-Canadian_Tire_Logo.svg.png

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

The wah wah entitlement coming from a couple of northern markets is incredible. It was bad enough when they thought they were actually going to get him. The crying about a guy that apparently none of them really wanted is just sad.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The wah wah entitlement coming from a couple of northern markets is incredible. It was bad enough when they thought they were actually going to get him. The crying about a guy that apparently none of them really wanted is just sad.

There are people calling him a bad son for not coming back to his family :laugh:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
There are people calling him a bad son for not coming back to his family :laugh:

Wow! Have none of them ever moved away from their families?

Ah well, for better or worse he's ours now. They can sob and cry, hopefully he eats up the boos and turns them into goals like Vinny did in Montreal.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

i think i wrote a great response to that tax benefit thing being fair this morning

think might be best post ive ever written

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2098359&page=3

is two others ive found so far going over same thing. Honestly think had about my most clear thought processing in a long time maybe ever lol and should give people a fair example of why shouldnt be frowned upon by big markets canadian teams and fans etc..

and thank you werewolf is not often I sincerely feel I did a good job writing. It comes and goes each day is different. I go back in stuff and im like ok 38 errors lol haha

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I liked the post about "some cities have beaches and others don't. this advantage / loophole must be corrected" - made my morning.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thinking about the contracts we're gonna be handing out the next couple of years made me think of something. We REALLY need Stamkos to have a renaissance season next year and then continue to be our best forward. If he does, it'll be easy to justify to all of our FAs that they should take pay cuts to stay. But if we continue to have 3-4 forwards better than Stamkos, it'll be really hard to convince guys to sign cheap when the 5th or 6th best player on the team is making 8.5 mil.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I heard that SY and the Lightning were not expecting Stamkos to come back. They were getting ready to take down all of the Stamkos pictures in Amalie before he called Yzerman. I'm curious about what the other teams offered. I was reading the Toronto board and they said they only offered him 5 years. Don't know if it was true or not but interesting none the less. I'm still happy that he is coming back but I wonder how the team would have been without him. I also wonder if he will be better or not now that he doesn't have to worry about his contract. Also curious if he will play with Drouin.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I heard that SY and the Lightning were not expecting Stamkos to come back. They were getting ready to take down all of the Stamkos pictures in Amalie before he called Yzerman. I'm curious about what the other teams offered. I was reading the Toronto board and they said they only offered him 5 years. Don't know if it was true or not but interesting none the less. I'm still happy that he is coming back but I wonder how the team would have been without him. I also wonder if he will be better or not now that he doesn't have to worry about his contract. Also curious if he will play with Drouin.

It makes sense. Their new management is not going to fall into the same traps as the old.

I believe he'll finally play with Drouin, although, you know... Coop vs. Logic.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

That is just beyond FUBAR. I always felt Stamkos would re-sign but I will never forgive him or his agent for how they played it out. Coming back or not this just confirms it for me even as a rumor. I'm sorry but batting practice with the Blue Jays, taking pictures with the Canada hat on, liking tweets about going to Toronto 2 or 3 times, meeting with the damn mayor and fielding offers from Canadian Tire is like some **** my ex would pull to get my attention.

I refuse to give make excuses for a grown ass man who knew exactly what he was doing every time he did it. Maybe I'm just harsh but I have a ZERO tolerance policy for that stuff.

My daughter will look me dead in the eyes and do something I JUST told her not to (like picking up the dog who is old and starting to get frail) and then goes berserk on me after I punish her. She insists that she was just moving her because the dog was where she wanted to sit as if there weren't about 5 other places to sit within 10 feet of the dog. Or I tell her to stop eating what she's eating she'll finish the damn bite and grab another handful and stuff her face one more time and then go beserk when I say, "Did I say here have another bite or did I tell you to stop?" She's the type of person who has to ALWAYS get ONE MORE in after you tell her no.

In comparison the Stamkos antics were just as juvenile. I bet you we don't see another "accidental tweet" or Coca-Cola related Blue Jays batting practice again for the rest of his career.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That is just beyond FUBAR. I always felt Stamkos would re-sign but I will never forgive him or his agent for how they played it out. Coming back or not this just confirms it for me even as a rumor. I'm sorry but batting practice with the Blue Jays, taking pictures with the Canada hat on, liking tweets about going to Toronto 2 or 3 times, meeting with the damn mayor and fielding offers from Canadian Tire is like some **** my ex would pull to get my attention.

I refuse to give make excuses for a grown ass man who knew exactly what he was doing every time he did it. Maybe I'm just harsh but I have a ZERO tolerance policy for that stuff.

My daughter will look me dead in the eyes and do something I JUST told her not to (like picking up the dog who is old and starting to get frail) and then goes berserk on me after I punish her. She insists that she was just moving her because the dog was where she wanted to sit as if there weren't about 5 other places to sit within 10 feet of the dog. Or I tell her to stop eating what she's eating she'll finish the damn bite and grab another handful and stuff her face one more time and then go beserk when I say, "Did I say here have another bite or did I tell you to stop?" She's the type of person who has to ALWAYS get ONE MORE in after you tell her no.

In comparison the Stamkos antics were just as juvenile. I bet you we don't see another "accidental tweet" or Coca-Cola related Blue Jays batting practice again for the rest of his career.

Umm ok... you do know he's a Canadian right? :help:

Taking pictures with his national hat on, quick someone sue him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Umm ok... you do know he's a Canadian right? :help:

Taking pictures with his national hat on, quick someone sue him.

In the midst of rampant speculation of going to Toronto? Time and place for everything. The context was inappropriate. If he goes and takes some Canadian pride pictures and likes some going home to Canada statuses on Twitter I'll personally apologize for my remarks.

Please tell me if it's appropriate to crack a cancer horoscope joke to someone on their birthday today (thereby making them born under the sign of the crab cancer) while knowing full and well she is nervously awaiting for their biopsy results on that suspicious lump on her breast.

It's a crude example but it entails the point I'm trying to make about throwing people for a loop when you know it's not going to be taken well. We didn't know what he was gonna do. We were left waiting a year to find out. It's a dick move to make.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad