Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Pat Maroon | 2 years, $1M AAV

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Solid 4th line guy. Not affraud to scrap when needed. Some grit.

Also that 4th (I don't care what the announcers say that line is the 4th line) of Perry, Pat and Bel are really clicking. So having them together next year as well will be great.

Pats skating has looked better this year as well so hopefully he can keep that up over the next 2 seasons.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
EE said there was talk of retirement. This is the first time I think we’re hearing about it though

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I like Maroon but the timing is kinda odd. I actually think his last 20 or so games have been the worst of his tenure here. He is never very fast, but he's been behind on plays lately and that's unusual for him.

In any case, I like Patty and I'm happy he is here to stay. Hopefully his game turns around soon.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“He’s found a role here, he’s found a home, he’s found a spot, he’s kind of one of the guys people look up to in the room,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “But he brought a winning pedigree with him, and to come off a Stanley Cup here and walk into our room, he was one of the guys that helped identify what some of the things we needed to do to win. He’s done everything we’ve asked him and I don’t think you can ever surround yourself with enough guys that win.”
The Lightning were pressed up against the salary cap, but the 33-year-old Maroon, who was slated to become a free agent this offseason, said an extension came together quickly when he told his agent, Octagon’s Ben Hankinson, that he wanted to stay in Tampa.

The Lightning know Maroon’s value on and off the ice, and with little room to maneuver because of the cap, they found a way to keep him. With the minimum salary next year at $750,000 and $775,000 in 2023-24, they’d only be saving $250,000 and $225,000, respectively, over the next two seasons by letting Maroon walk and finding his cheapest replacement.
“Just having the security and knowing that you’re signed for two more years and you have two more years to put a lot of work in and hopefully win more championships, that’s the whole point of it, Maroon said. “...You don’t want to go to a team where it’s kind of a rebuild situation when you can go to a team where you build your career and keep building off that and find ways to keep winning every single year.

“Like I tell people, you make your money in the playoffs,” he added. “... (The Lightning) have that winning mentality that a lot of teams don’t have. … There’s nowhere else where I’d rather be than here.”

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Change your mind, Brady, if Pat can do it so can you.

Brady literally already dropped a "never say never" quote on his podcast last night. Absolutely nobody should be surprised if he changes his mind between now and August. It's a hell of a lot easier to talk about "being ready to move on" in February than it is in July when training camp begins and the regular season is around the corner. And the longer the Bucs go with Blaine Gabbert and Kyle Trask atop their QB depth chart, the more convinced I'll be that there's unpublished "Brady's coming back" tweets on the beat writers Twitter accounts waiting to be sent. If he stays retired, so be it, I'm not in denial over this, I just remember Brett Favre saying the same shit after playing very well in 2007 and once the season was about to begin, it turned out he wasn't ready to retire after all. Retiring with gas in the tank is just not something players often like to do. They'd rather empty the tank and clearly be a shell of themselves because at least it leaves them no doubt that it's time to move on.

But this is the wrong thread. I'll stop here.

The NHL put three Cup emojis next to “Tampa”, threepeat confirmed!

The absolute legend is going to win five Stanley Cups in five seasons with the Lightning. Try beating that ratio.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I like Maroon but the timing is kinda odd. I actually think his last 20 or so games have been the worst of his tenure here. He is never very fast, but he's been behind on plays lately and that's unusual for him.

In any case, I like Patty and I'm happy he is here to stay. Hopefully his game turns around soon.

$1m is fully bury-able, so we don't actually have to take any cap hit on him if he's not performing. (That assume there's no NMC, which I think is a safe assumption.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad