Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Anthony Cirelli | 3-years, $4.8M AAV

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So this is not a critique of JFBB, but I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that Y generally got better deals in these situations.

But JFBB is the one that got us over the hump. We're certainly not overpaying - but these are pretty comparable to deals comparable players elsewhere received. Maybe it's a shift in the way agents/players approach us or deals in general, but I don't feel like we're getting "steals" anymore.

Agreed, this feels at-market. As did Point (given the term) and Vasy.

Makes some sense, though. Presumably a guy like TJ gave us a bit of a discount because of the NTC and a desire to stay in Tampa. Now it's clear his NTC isn't worth a whole lot -- we would've happily given him away for free, and we've put him in a situation where he felt is in his best interest to give us a list of teams he'd waive for.

If I'm one of our new free agents, I'd see that and say no thanks to giving a discount. Not that an NTC is on the table anyway (they're restricted over the full term), just the idea of sacrificing to stay in Tampa wouldn't feel worth it. Not saying that would be enough to make me go full Nylander and try to squeeze out every last dollar, I'd just want reasonable value.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cirelli's comparable is DeBrusk, he got 1m more but we got an extra year of a young player. He was obviously going to be the most expensive, I'm not sure why Sergachev got as much as he did for 3rd pairing Dman. McAvoy is a direct comparble and does a whole lot more. All 3 of these contracts seem more fair than steals as pointed out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed, this feels at-market. As did Point (given the term) and Vasy.

Makes some sense, though. Presumably a guy like TJ gave us a bit of a discount because of the NTC and a desire to stay in Tampa. Now it's clear his NTC isn't worth a whole lot -- we would've happily given him away for free, and we've put him in a situation where he felt is in his best interest to give us a list of teams he'd waive for.

If I'm one of our new free agents, I'd see that and say no thanks to giving a discount. Not that an NTC is on the table anyway (they're restricted over the full term), just the idea of sacrificing to stay in Tampa wouldn't feel worth it. Not saying that would be enough to make me go full Nylander and try to squeeze out every last dollar, I'd just want reasonable value.

Disagree on Point. That's one of the most team-friendly contracts in the league, despite the term. He was coming off 40 goals and 90 points. Another player would have held his team over a barrel for that -- and a couple of them did in Toronto. Term is overrated, especially when the player agrees to another discount (Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman).

On the overall point, Yzerman did a great job of getting our stars to set an example, but we were always pretty generous with our middling players. Palat, Johnson, and Killorn all got more than what we thought they would on this board, plus term. If anything, we don't have the massive gap in pay between our stars and our second tier players, at least in comparison with many other teams. JBB has been a little... less predictable(?)... than Yzerman, but more/less follows the same blueprint, IMO.

It's kind of the anti-Dubas. We underpay on stars/potential, but we've always ponied up a little more, relatively speaking, to the middle of the depth chart. We don't see the big, jaw-dropping discounts there.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
JBB overpaid him 800k per year I think he should have got 4 avv and that would have been generous.

Last two seasons- 2018-2019 goals 19 and 20 assists = 39 points

2019-2020- 16 goals - 28 assists and 44 points

career playoff numbers 46 games played- 6 goals and 8 assists = 14 points.

4.8 Avv for a 3 year deal was more then what Kucherov got on his bridge deal and Vasy only got 3.5 avv for 3 years on his bridge deal.

4.8 avv for cirell was an overpayment! Don’t get me wrong kid is a solid good two way player but him and sergachev got overpaid on these bridge deals.

this past playoffs cirell had 9 points in 25 games very average playoffs not even good.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
JBB overpaid him 800k per year I think he should have got 4 avv and that would have been generous.

4.8 Avv for a 3 year deal was more then what Kucherov got on his bridge deal and Vasy only got 3.5 avv for 3 years on his bridge deal.

4.8 avv for cirell was an overpayment! Don’t get me wrong kid is a solid good two way player but him and sergachev got overpaid on these bridge deals.

this past playoffs cirell had 9 points in 25 games very average playoffs not even good.
Tend to agree

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Cirelli had the best case for a big payment, once Sergachev got 4.8 I couldn't see him getting lower. They all got a bit higher than we thought they would, they're still good deals though.

Reactions: NatoGhost

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Cirelli's comparable is DeBrusk, he got 1m more but we got an extra year of a young player. He was obviously going to be the most expensive, I'm not sure why Sergachev got as much as he did for 3rd pairing Dman. McAvoy is a direct comparble and does a whole lot more. All 3 of these contracts seem more fair than steals as pointed out.

Because when McD is gone in a few years, Serge is replacing him. Then when Hedman is gone, he's replacing him. We're not handing Serge a big bridge for just any reason. If he develops like we think he will over the next two years, he's a 1D on almost any team but ours as long as Hemonster is here.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Because when McD is gone in a few years, Serge is replacing him. Then when Hedman is gone, he's replacing him. We're not handing Serge a big bridge for just any reason. If he develops like we think he will over the next two years, he's a 1D on almost any team but ours as long as Hemonster is here.

RFA's have little to no leverage, their contracts should be based mostly results thus far moreso than potential otherwise you end up like Toronto. His caphit is extremely high for what he's shown so far that 4.8m should've been for a long term contract, not a bridge.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Definitely a little more than I wanted, but everyone gets "overpaid" after a cup unfortunately.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
RFA's have little to no leverage, their contracts should be based mostly results thus far moreso than potential otherwise you end up like Toronto. His caphit is extremely high for what he's shown so far that 4.8m should've been for a long term contract, not a bridge.

I think after the expansion draft and McD plus other vet contracts falling off, if Serge lives up to his potential, he will be locked into a 7 year deal just as year 3 kicks in. If not, he's serious trade bait, but I'm betting he's here for his career.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

You can't compare this offseason's bridge deal AAVs with bridge deals of 4 years ago and use it as an argument. If you want to use it as such, you should look at the % the bridge deal is compared to the cap in that same year, as the cap lower 4 years ago.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Look deeper than those surface numbers - his offensive numbers my look somewhat pedestrian until you see his PP time and 5v5 production. Thats what makes him exceptional.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Not totally sold on Cirelli, seems like a guy who would text the girl you're seeing "Good Morning"

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agree.. all Fair deals.

Cirelli we could argue is maybe over paid a bit if we are basing it on the playoffs but I think he's better than what he showed in the playoffs. There was a period this last season where he was tearing it up and was kind of breaking out offensively. I think its possible he was hurt during the playoffs and thats why he wasn't as good as he looked at times during the regular season. I think his contract could be a steal by the end of it.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sergachev is pretty much better than a third paring Dman though, he’s given that role but I assume it’s to spread out the talent on the left, since their right side isn’t exactly amazing. Instead of just playing one defenseman the 30 minutes and hoping that’s enough to mask an awful bottom pair, just have a great defenseman, who can carry a pair, all game.

I don’t think either player will look overpaid 1/3 into this season. Cirelli could still improve and I’ve read he’s getting a chance for more power play time this season. He scored about the same pace or higher as a few higher paid guys around the league, while being way better both directions.

I’m not a total slave to analytics but I don’t ignore them either, and I think it’s fair to say his playoff scoring was dragged by his line mates performance some games + the context of a bubble isn’t quite the same as normal circumstances in his regular season + just a larger sample size

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sergachev is pretty much better than a third paring Dman though, he’s given that role but I assume it’s to spread out the talent on the left, since their right side isn’t exactly amazing. Instead of just playing one defenseman the 30 minutes and hoping that’s enough to mask an awful bottom pair, just have a great defenseman, who can carry a pair, all game.

I don’t think either player will look overpaid 1/3 into this season. Cirelli could still improve and I’ve read he’s getting a chance for more power play time this season. He scored about the same pace or higher as a few higher paid guys around the league, while being way better both directions.

I’m not a total slave to analytics but I don’t ignore them either, and I think it’s fair to say his playoff scoring was dragged by his line mates performance some games + the context of a bubble isn’t quite the same as normal circumstances in his regular season + just a larger sample size

Well 2 reasons, he hasn't looked good anytime he was placed on the right and every time he was thrusted into a top-4 role defensively he's been overwhelmed so by default the best position for him is his natural side with less responsibility, 3rd pairing LD.

He took strides last season and kind of took ownership of that 3rd pairing but I don't know if I'd call him a top-4 defenseman ie. if you threw him on a top-4 on any team in the league would he do well? I think right now he's one of those guys who excels in their current role but if they moved up a spot they'd look a lot more average, he has the benefit of being in an extremely favorable situation where he still gets a ton of minutes but the defensive responsibilities are eaten by 2 stud d-men in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad