Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Alex Killorn (7 years, $4.45M cap hit, $31.15M total)

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Follow

Joe Smith
‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Yzerman said 'in all likelihood,' to sign rest of RFAs, they'll have to make a move to be cap compliant. Buyout not a consideration

So another move is coming because there isn't enough cap space remaining to sign Kucherov, Namestnikov, and Nesterov.

Who goes?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's a lot more of everything than I was expecting, but we might have had to trade cash and years for freedom from a NMC.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Follow

Joe Smith
‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Yzerman said 'in all likelihood,' to sign rest of RFAs, they'll have to make a move to be cap compliant. Buyout not a consideration

So another move is coming because there isn't enough cap space remaining to sign Kucherov, Namestnikov, and Nesterov.

Who goes?

Filppula if we can find a taker, Bishop if Dallas agrees to part with Honka, or Garrison if the other two don't pan out.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Killorn is a prototypical Robert Horry (sorry for the NBA reference but it's the best comparison I could find). He's a reliable, complete and versatile asset during the regular season and a legitimate first line winger in the playoffs, and this for a cap-hit under $5M.

To have Alexander ******* Killorn for another 7 years is just a blessing.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
That's a lot more of everything than I was expecting, but we might have had to trade cash and years for freedom from a NMC.

From General Fanager site...
Note: a player is not eligible for a NMC or NTC in their contract until they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 accrued seasons or 27 years of age). A player can sign a contract that has a NMC or NTC take effect partway through the contract at the time they would have otherwise become eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.

So Killorn would not be eligible for a NMC but one could kick later.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Killorn is a prototypical Robert Horry (sorry for the NBA reference but it's the best comparison I could find). He's a reliable, complete and versatile asset during the regular season and a legitimate first line winger in the playoffs, and this for a cap-hit under $5M.

It's a good reference - I absolutely agree.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I thought he'd come in right at 4, so it's a very slight amount more and I'm okay with that. 7 years isn't too much, he's not going to wear down, and may actually increase production to the point where he's underpaid. I like it all around, great guy to have locked up.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
So this basically means one of Palat, Johnson, or Drouin are gone after next season then, right? I guess it depends on how Erne/Point do Syracuse this year though.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I can see us moving Namestnikov with Flip if he's wanting to push for a contract Yzerman doesn't want to give him to make room for everyone else.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I can see us moving Namestnikov with Flip if he's wanting to push for a contract Yzerman doesn't want to give him to make room for everyone else.

Moving both at the same time would crucify the depth at center position. Just imagine Johnson or Stamkos getting injured and we're a lottery team.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Does it mean palat ?

I hope not. Point or Namestnikov can replace Johnson more easily than anyone we have in the organization could do what Palat does. Only knock on Drej though is he hasn't been big in the postseason while TJ has been the Red Wing Killer. But ultimately Johnson would fetch a better return - possibly the puck-moving RHD we all want. So while I'd hate to lose either I guess my pick would be Johnson.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Glad to have Killer around longer.

Killer posted it on twitter and Palat responded with this:

Hope it means that he wants to do what it takes to stay as well.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Freaking awesome.

Killer-Kuch-TJ is now Trips of Death v2.0 once Kuch is signed.

Just freaking awesome. I'm pumped I'm telling, pumped.:yo:

fight-club-tumblr-21.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hope not. Point or Namestnikov can replace Johnson more easily than anyone we have in the organization could do what Palat does. Only knock on Drej though is he hasn't been big in the postseason while TJ has been the Red Wing Killer. But ultimately Johnson would fetch a better return - possibly the puck-moving RHD we all want. So while I'd hate to lose either I guess my pick would be Johnson.

Palat's been better than people realize in the playoffs though, particular in the SCF run. All three triplets were absurd during that.

Killorn is very good in the playoffs, but I think we might give him a little TOO much credit because we're comparing Regular Season Killorn to Post-Season Killorn. He annihilates the expectations, whereas Palat is remains basically the same, but that level is still higher than Killorn's more often than not.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Honestly, in the playoffs I see Killorn dominating sometimes, taking control of the pace in a way I wished Palat was capable of, and I'm totally biased towards Drej. Palat is not a playoffs underachiever, he's good, I just think Killorn can be great.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Honestly I don't like it. Killorn is not a part of the core. He's a complementary player. Sign Kucherov and give Killorn what's left, not the other way around. Hopefully we can move Killorn in a couple years because this contract could screw us.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Honestly I don't like it. Killorn is not a part of the core. He's a complementary player. Sign Kucherov and give Killorn what's left, not the other way around. Hopefully we can move Killorn in a couple years because this contract could screw us.

If it screws us, it's between the next 12 months. Also, Killorn got an average of 19 minutes per game and 0.7PPG over the last 2 playoffs runs. In short, he's more trusted and produce at a similar pace as someone like Steven Stamkos. If Killorn is not a core player, it's a subjective matter, it depends how you quantify playoffs performance relative to the regular season. By the look of things, he's nonetheless someone that would be extremely hard to replace during those key moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad