Lightning fan clubs/fans from distant places

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
The new Lightning commercial with the fan in Brazil made me think of this. For whatever reason i find it interesting when reading about Lightning fans and fan clubs from other countries. So i'm hoping people post stories,links or personel experiences regarding this subject. And if you in fact are a distant Lightning fan, how did you become one?

Last edited:

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Born in NY, Grew up in florida, always casually followed the bolts but never really was into hockey(baseball and football always were my top sports)....then went to a game and fell in love with the game. Now back in NY(long island) and religiously watch the games and come down when I can to hang with friends and catch games there when I can with the family......also did I mention I'm back in NY? Lol who am I going to root for, the isles or blue shirts? :cry::laugh:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
There was a story a couple years ago about a Lightning fan from Argentina going to his first game, so that Brazilian fan has a buddy in South America I suppose. There's also chelya, a Russian who runs a pretty good fan site. http://www.tampabaylightning.ru/

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm a Tampa fan from Toronto! Been a TB fan my whole life. I still get weird looks and remarks when people find out I'm a Tampa fan, I don't run into too many unless I'm at Tampa games of course.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
doesnt count for sooo much but became stevie fan in detroit when was nine years young now im 47:) knew was coming here at inception of the bolts took me till playoffs last year to be bolt over winged wheel finally so took 20 years but now im a bolt also went to la when they got the cup but man was the fights with them over the bolts big hahaha told them we were coming just like them and fought 2-3 years:)

anyway now im a bolt follow the wings but want the bolts to win period 100% and wont matter where i live from this point is the stevie factor followed by the history all the heartache of winning the cup having the wheel bust in our time having to rebuild watching and witnessing the vision of stevie and falling in love with the players and the town

this will always be home

I truly am amazed at the worldwide friends ive encountered a lot from poker playing who are somehow bolt fans also just amazing seriously to watch this grow this

no market team:)

p.s. yes i did the read what this was about but happy so many fans are from diverse backgrounds and like talking with you all so my heart goes to you in no markets overseas:)

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't really know how it started. I started playing as the Lightning in NHL 2001 or 2002 because they sucked and I always like to root for the underdog. Started following more after the 04-05 lockout and the Lightning just stuck with me, probably because St. Louis was becoming one of my favourite players. Khabibulin also was one of my favourites so that helped. Became even more into the team after I found streams for games and have hardly missed a game since 2010, either watching live or the next day. It's weird I feel more connected to a team on the other side of the Atlantic than any team here in Finland.

My dream is to one day come over to watch a couple of games in person and Florida doesn't seem that bad of a vacation spot either. :laugh:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Somewhere along 1989 or 1990 I got into NHL as a kid, I got a Blackhawks cap and a pen and I got my first hockey cards with Blackhawks players. Then 1992-1993 I just got the idea that it would be cool to follow a team from the very first day, so I chose Tampa as the lightning was looking good! Since this was before the internet took speed I remember that I followed the results in the paper, since the newspaper was printed before the games were finished there was a delay of one day!

Through hockey cards Puppa became my favourite player and they also started to send some NHL games on TV and then with the internet it became much easier to follow.

Also the NHL games (while they were still on PC :cry:) helped, always played with Tampa and enjoyed it with Zamuner was our best player! (I did like him, very underrated!)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
EA Sports and their NHL 98 and 99 made me a hockey fan and later on a Lightning fan back when I was a teenie. With streams becoming available later on I was staying up late and watching the games or I would catch up the day after and watch highlights or full games online with my buddies. I've followed the Lightning and especially Vinny rise up from his draft position to become one of the league's top players alongside Marty, the Cup win in 2004, the lockout, the cowboys almost ruining the franchise, to the glorious Vinik/Yzerman era, the deep runs with Boucher and Cooper with guys like Stamkos and the Triplets taking over. Now in my 30's, I've been to Tampa a couple of times now, been to several games and it's been a blast.

It's weird I feel more connected to a team on the other side of the Atlantic than any team here
I know that feel bro!

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Rafael Amarante (@amaranteraf) and I talk often on Twitter during games and both of us go back to being commenters on Raw Charge from several years back. I saw that commercial last night during the Special Teams edition of ItL (the sheer irony of that, btw, given how bad TB's special teams are, and have been for years) and I was shocked to see Raf's name appear. Good for him.

I don't have a story. I've lived in Tampa for a real long time now, and the whole #DistantThunder idea works better this way than the reverse way, so...meh. Pretty boring from this end.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm living in Spokane now but I'm originally from Southern California. Just saw the Lightning on television back when I first started watching hockey and liked them. Never met any other Bolts fans until I moved up here. Tyler Johnson is the hometown hero among Chiefs fans so there's a ton of TBL converts. NHL has a smaller following than WHL up here but people got pretty excited during the Stanley Cup run last year. It'll be even better when TyJo brings the Cup back here this summer :naughty:

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I live in Kansas right now. I've been a Lightning fan pretty much my entire life but have really gotten into hockey in the last 3-4 years and watch pretty much every game now. I actually became a fan because I liked the Lightning name. I'm pretty into meteorology/storm chasing and it seemed to fit. Bolts fans are rare here and I can't remember ever seeing any apparel. I did come across a fan who worked at Red Lobster a few weeks back and saw my hoodie and came up and started talking about Drouin. He was from Florida though

Actually planning on moving to C FL later this year with my girlfriend (who has become a huge Bolts fan herself). Looking forward to being able to attend significantly more games than the 3-4 a year I do right now

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Been a die-hard since I was 7-8, grew up/live in Southern Ontario. Idolized MSL as a kid, went down with family for several game. Been a member of these boards since I was 14, still going strong!

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
1600px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
1992 was 7 years old was at the first Lightning game vs the Blackhawks! Born in Tampa Bay Area. Been there during the dreadful years and there were many! And best year ever in 2004 watching this team win its first Stanley cup! Can't wait till
This team wins the cup again I'm fully confident yzerman can deliver at least one in the next 5 years. I really hope yzerman takes us on 23 straight playoff berths like Detroit is doing! I was the only one born in Florida so Lightning are my top 1st teams blues are where my family is from are the second team I like. It's pretty amazing seeing how big this franchise has become now under Jeff vinik, Steve Griggs and Stevie yzerman

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Living in the faraway land of Miami, Florida. Originally from Tampa so I always liked the Lightning, but I've only been a diehard fan for the last 5 years or so. Now I don't miss a game on Gamecenter, but I usually only get over to Tampa for a few games a year.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Originally from Finnish Lapland and still living in Finland after a 4-year-stint to Barcelona. I was first intrigued by the Bolts back when I saw Chris Gratton playing for Canada somewhere around 1996, and later really became a fan when Vinny was drafted in 1998. Remember watching that from the local TV and there has been only one team ever since.

Fjeldaben

Oct 16, 2010
Aarhus
Greetings fellow Ligtning Ladies and Gents!

I'm a die-hard Ligtning fan an have been so since 04. I'm 33 years old and from Aarhus, Denmark and I became a fan by coincident really. My friend and I - after finishing High School - decided to go on a 3 months road trip around The United States. We went to Miami and we wanted to go to a NBA game - but there were none to attend. So we booked some tickets to a Lightning game through ticketmaster. We went and we had a great time - and oh... the game was the QF against Philly in the 03/04 cup run. We didn't realise that until we took a closer look at the tickets - when we were in our seats! I feel stupid and ashamed just thinking about how ignorent we were. Well - I just wanted to share.

I apologize for any bad English ;o)

Cheers all :popcorn:

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'm from New Zealand, I recently followed the Lightning on their Western Canada road trip and then I followed the boys down to Florida to watch the next few games.

After over 10 years of listening to radio broadcasts and GCL I finally got to see a live Lightning game!

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
I'm from New Zealand, I recently followed the Lightning on their Western Canada road trip and then I followed the boys down to Florida to watch the next few games.

After over 10 years of listening to radio broadcasts and GCL I finally got to see a live Lightning game!

Thats awesome, how did you specifically chose the Lightning to follow?

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Greetings fellow Ligtning Ladies and Gents!

I'm a die-hard Ligtning fan an have been so since 04. I'm 33 years old and from Aarhus, Denmark and I became a fan by coincident really. My friend and I - after finishing High School - decided to go on a 3 months road trip around The United States. We went to Miami and we wanted to go to a NBA game - but there were none to attend. So we booked some tickets to a Lightning game through ticketmaster. We went and we had a great time - and oh... the game was the QF against Philly in the 03/04 cup run. We didn't realise that until we took a closer look at the tickets - when we were in our seats! I feel stupid and ashamed just thinking about how ignorent we were. Well - I just wanted to share.

I apologize for any bad English ;o)

Cheers all :popcorn:

Thats a great story, and what a game to attend without even realizing it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad