Confirmed with Link: Lightning extend Brandon Hagel | 8 years, $6.5M AAV

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Excellent long term signing.

Sabres fan here. Congratulations on being the long-term beneficiaries of Jason Botterill's immense, almost unfathomable stupidity in refusing to sign Hagel to an ELC while he was tearing up the WHL.
Was there anything to that?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
bagel-excited.gif

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Exactly like what we were hoping would happen, Hagel took a lower AAV to secure a massive contract two years in advance.

I like the risk here and the strategy of signing young players to max term. Even under unfavorable cap conditions you still get cost certainty, continuity in the locker room, and as long as we aren’t handing out full NMC we retain flexibility.

I think there is some unappreciated value in having a roster with minimal turnover, you can’t build a roster like it’s NHL 2024, these are humans who will play better knowing they have a future with the team

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Excellent long term signing.

Was there anything to that?
Botts didn't like WHL/non-college/USNTDP prospects for whatever reason and he'd been a Murray draftee, so JB and co. weren't as familiar with him. Apparently doubted his skating would be up to snuff in the NHL

Reactions: aylib

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Good signing. Should be able to stay in that 60 point range, but his defensive game was fantastic last year.

#1 line, will get more PP1 and PK1 time. Only 25. And it's under 7mil

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Damn where's the negative doomsaying posts on this one
IMO this exceeded expectations. Anything below 7 is great.

Pretty good chance last year wont be his career high, given how roles are, and could continue to be, opening up.

Reactions: Hoek

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
He's probably locking a PP1 spot this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a ppg run lol

Reactions: DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad