Lightning Core vs Avs Core

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Don't see why you would take any heat whatsoever for that. He might be a top 3 D you pick moving forward, let alone top 10.

But for right now - Hedman is better. And even if what you're actually saying is Makar is top 10 already (I don't see it - one season isn't enough, you have to see if he can repeat/sustain to earn that title) - you can be top 10 and still far from #1.

I think for the next ~3-5 years I take Hedman over Makar easily. No reason at all to expect Hedman to decline then, and he has a consistency and excellence to his game. If it's long-term Makar is the better choice obviously. He could hypothetically even be better in the next 3-5 years, I just think Hedman is the safer bet.

Hedman’s been elite for 5-6 years now, so I can’t fault you for that take.

For me, I’d take Hedman over Makar for the playoffs and next season. After that I’d probably take Makar.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Hedman’s been elite for 5-6 years now, so I can’t fault you for that take.

For me, I’d take Hedman over Makar for the playoffs and next season. After that I’d probably take Makar after that.

That's tough to say, Makar may never reach that level.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Agreed. Who do you see as a comparable?

Burns, perhaps? I think Makar will score like Burns does, which is rare for D. Also has the skating+size combo.

20g - 80+pts peak with a Norris, a ton of Norris noms, a ton of 1st team AS games.

I don’t know, I have a hard time finding comparables for Makar because of the way he moves to create space.

I’d be disappointed if Makar had the same career as Brent Burns. Norris trophy aside, Burns took quite a while to hit his offensive stride. He didn’t actually start putting up big numbers until like 10 years into his career. He played extraordinarily well from age 28 to 33, which is pretty crazy.

Burns also cheats for offence, Makar doesn’t do that.

I don’t think Makar will put up a 29 goal season like Burns though, Burns has a way better slap shot.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agreed. Who do you see as a comparable?

Burns, perhaps? I think Makar will score like Burns does, which is rare for D. Also has the skating+size combo.

20g - 80+pts peak with a Norris, a ton of Norris noms, a ton of 1st team AS games.
He doesn't really have a comparable honestly. He plays the game like if Mackinnon was a defenseman. He doesn't have the elegance of someone like a Karlsson or Hughes, but his power and ability too will his physical talents on the opponents is very similar to Mack. He's a very very unique player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad