Friedman: "Lightning are legit contender for Luke Schenn"

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Seems dumb to me. He was their #7 in both cup runs. Fine to sign a guy like that for league min in free agency, but trading assets for one is a mistake.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Schenn for Cal Foote? I’d imagine Foote’s worth about a 3rd round pick, and I could see something like that happen.

How is Foote defensively? And his skating?
Agreed that Foote is worth about a 3rd. He has all the tools EXCEPT skating, but wow does that hold him back. Acquiring Schenn, in large part, would be about having options to fill in for Foote. I'm not sure if management would be willing to part with him; personally I think Schenn would be a better soldier in a long playoff run, but I would want to check around the league to see if some team might over-value him based on his draft prestige.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seems dumb to me. He was their #7 in both cup runs. Fine to sign a guy like that for league min in free agency, but trading assets for one is a mistake.
Yeah, I'm sure TB would like him back for another Cup run as a "nice guy to have around", but they won't pay much for the privilege.

There are other teams the Canucks could extract more value from. Assuming (it's no guarantee) that Vancouver management has a baseline level of competence to sell their pending UFAs.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends on the asset. He was a good guy to have around, and might be especially useful this year if it means we're not forced to play Foote in games we don't want to.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Not really. We are known to pay a lot for guys with cheap contracts that extend beyond the current year (Hagel, Goodrow, etc). We especially do that when we know we're gonna lose guys the following year. That's not really what this situation is.
That's a fair argument but it does at the very least show that Tampa doesn't mind paying a little extra as long as it helps their bigger goal of winning the cup which schenn can do he's not going to be a star but he will help my guess is something equivalent to a 2nd round pick will be paid by any team, for to a bidding war and I can see Tampa paying that price. I'm sure the fans won't love it but I don't think they will care if they are in another deep playoff run.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All 3 guys were added for 2+ playoff runs.

Schenn is a UFA. Not even close to the same value.
Yup. This is something people don't realize when they see our TDL history. We are basically paying to replace guys who will be exiting in the following years, while also adding to the current roster. It's not a rental situation at all.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Be careful about the Ben Chiarot baseline. Just the year before, Jani Hakanpaa and a 6th went for Haydn Fleury, an asset that, imo, compared favorably to Travis Dermott in value.

Reactions: wintersej

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's a fair argument but it does at the very least show that Tampa doesn't mind paying a little extra as long as it helps their bigger goal of winning the cup which schenn can do he's not going to be a star but he will help my guess is something equivalent to a 2nd round pick will be paid by any team, for to a bidding war and I can see Tampa paying that price. I'm sure the fans won't love it but I don't think they will care if they are in another deep playoff run.
Not really. We rarely actually rent players. We pay a premium for guys on good contracts. Kind of the exact opposite.

I think we would pay something around a 3rd for Schenn. He won't be an every day guy for us. Just a safety net for Foote.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
At his cap hit, he's a 2nd round pick, possibly more. If you're not willing to pay more than a mid-round pick you won't get him. Tampa seems to be a team that understand mid-bottom of your lineup veteran contributors who make peanuts are incredibly valuable when you see what they gave up for Hagel, Goodrow, Coleman in the past. They have familiarity with Schenn and so this trade makes sense if Tampa has the assets to make it happen.

Those other names came with term at a good cap hit, so apples and oranges.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Lol how tf does it not matter?

If he isn't going to play every night, Tampa isn't going to pay the asking price for him. It's that simple.
Because if multiple teams want him, Canucks aren't going to entertain "We want him for our 7th D so here's a 4th" when other teams are offering more. So what TB wants him for doesn't matter, they will know the price and either pay it, or f*** off.

Feb 19, 2018
Despite what fans think this screams Foote and probably what it takes. I’m not saying it has to happen but after Rutherford’s press conference today it’s exactly what they will be asking for in a return.

Schenn already publicly stated with his agent he wants to come back and he will end up being the perfect mentor to Foote on how to play to your strengths with limited mobility.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Can Foote defend though? He can’t be far worse at skating than Schenn, but if he can defend, I’d love a Schenn for Foote trade, as he ticks a lot of boxes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Despite what fans think this screams Foote and probably what it takes. I’m not saying it has to happen but after Rutherford’s press conference today it’s exactly what they will be asking for in a return.

Schenn already publicly stated with his agent he wants to come back and he will end up being the perfect mentor to Foote on how to play to your strengths with limited mobility.
As for Foote... honestly you might be better off taking a 3rd.

I would do like Schenn + 4th pick for Foote. But first I'd see if other teams wanted Foote.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can Foote defend though? He can’t be far worse at skating than Schenn, but if he can defend, I’d love a Schenn for Foote trade, as he ticks a lot of boxes.
He can defend against bad players. Just doesn't handle speed very well. I honestly think Schenn is the better skater.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Not really. We rarely actually rent players. We pay a premium for guys on good contracts. Kind of the exact opposite.

I think we would pay something around a 3rd for Schenn. He won't be an every day guy for us. Just a safety net for Foote.
Well we can't ignore the strong possibility that Tampa signs him after this season at a low price, I don't think he's a safety net it seems if they are willing to trade for him they view him as a #6 RHD and normally he would probably go for a 3rd, but with his cap hit I'd say it inflates his value to a 2nd or something equivalent to that.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Lightning Fans reading this:

Lightning are legit contenders... :)
for Luke Schenn :rolleyes:

Ah im not a TB fan but I had to do a doyble take.

"Yes theyre contender and...? Oh! For Luke Schenn! Ok...."

Ad always with big D's that went far in the playoffs, wouldnt surprise me if Schenn got back a first at minimum

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Zach Bogosian, Ian Cole, Haydn Fleury AND Luke Schenn.

whatyearisit-cardiac.gif

Reactions: Chainshot

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well we can't ignore the strong possibility that Tampa signs him after this season at a low price, I don't think he's a safety net it seems if they are willing to trade for him they view him as a #6 RHD and normally he would probably go for a 3rd, but with his cap hit I'd say it inflates his value to a 2nd or something equivalent to that.
Nah, I think we want him back in exactly the same role as when he left. A guy who will play about half the playoff games.

We really don't rent players very often. I can't see us giving away a big asset. That's not to say Vancouver can't get one -- I just don't think it will be from us. But if nobody pulls the trigger, you can probably get a 3rd out of us. We like Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad