Friedman: "Lightning are legit contender for Luke Schenn"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Before we get crazy on the pricetag, let's remember that Schenn will not be an every day player for us. I'd love to have him back, but if the price is above a mid-round pick, I think we will wish Vancouver all the best and move along to a cheaper option. Just need a guy to play 10-15 playoff games on a long run.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Before we get crazy on the pricetag, let's remember that Schenn will not be an every day player for us. I'd love to have him back, but if the price is above a mid-round pick, I think we will wish Vancouver all the best and move along to a cheaper option. Just need a guy to play 10-15 playoff games on a long run.
This doesn't matter. There are multiple teams interested, a 2nd + in value is the minimum to land him. I've heard some fans suggest Foote for Schenn.

Reactions: Lackhalak

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Where the heck does he fit in? Bolts have 8 NHL defenseman on their roster and debatably a 9th in the AHL.

Hedman - Bogosian
Sergachev - Perbix
Cole - Cernak
Fleury - Foote
Myers

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I think that’s fair but I’d have to expect an offer of a mid round pick to be beaten by someone else

Reactions: DFC

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
id just keep Schenn if i were Van... the team is in dissaray it seems and this is one of the guys that seems like he is a very important part of the leadership

can easily keep him around longer for very cheap

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Where the heck does he fit in? Bolts have 8 NHL defenseman on their roster and debatably a 9th in the AHL.

Hedman - Bogosian
Sergachev - Perbix
Cole - Cernak
Fleury - Foote
Myers

Schenn is the 7th, Fleury, Foote and Myers suck. Schenn has proven he can step up if needed, he fits seamlessly into the lineup, he hasn't played with Cole but he slotted next to Hedman, Sergachev and McDonagh just fine in the past, Lightning want him for insurance.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
At his cap hit, he's a 2nd round pick, possibly more. If you're not willing to pay more than a mid-round pick you won't get him. Tampa seems to be a team that understand mid-bottom of your lineup veteran contributors who make peanuts are incredibly valuable when you see what they gave up for Hagel, Goodrow, Coleman in the past. They have familiarity with Schenn and so this trade makes sense if Tampa has the assets to make it happen.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Schenn for Cal Foote? I’d imagine Foote’s worth about a 3rd round pick, and I could see something like that happen.

How is Foote defensively? And his skating?

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Don't think Tampa has their first or second round pick this year. They do have their third. Marek and Friedman were speculating on their podcast that Vancouver may want a roster player or someone pushing for a roster spot and not necessarily a draft pick.

Reactions: YP44

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
This screams Cal Foote. Canucks prefer players to picks and Foote has been surpassed by Pretix or whatever his name is.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
You guys have been known to pay a lot for playoff rentals.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You guys have been known to pay a lot for playoff rentals.
Not really. We are known to pay a lot for guys with cheap contracts that extend beyond the current year (Hagel, Goodrow, etc). We especially do that when we know we're gonna lose guys the following year. That's not really what this situation is, but I get why people think that.

The one real rental I can think of was David Savard. There might have been others, but that's the one impact guy I remember getting while knowing we had no chance of keeping him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At his cap hit, he's a 2nd round pick, possibly more. If you're not willing to pay more than a mid-round pick you won't get him. Tampa seems to be a team that understand mid-bottom of your lineup veteran contributors who make peanuts are incredibly valuable when you see what they gave up for Hagel, Goodrow, Coleman in the past. They have familiarity with Schenn and so this trade makes sense if Tampa has the assets to make it happen.

All 3 guys were added for 2+ playoff runs.

Schenn is a UFA. Not even close to the same value.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad