Dreger: Lightning and Nick Paul nearing extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Thought he played well, even despite an obvious injury. Underrated skill. Softens the loss of Coleman/Goodrow.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I think anything under 3.5 and it’s a good deal for the lightning. He was pretty strong in both the regular session and playoffs, but I do wonder what his true scoring potential is. Maybe 35-40 points a year? Cooper loves him, so if he gets time with Kuch or Stamkos it could boost his production

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pauls the type of player where that contract is worth it and im sure the tax situation helps out since for most other teams that would be him taking a discount

Good for him

Reactions: NatoGhost

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Very happy with this. Overpaid in term but we won't be competitive by the end of this deal.

We gave a similar contract to Killorn back in the day and while there were bad times, it ended up being a steal over the long run. At $3M, you can't really go wrong though.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You don't give role players like that 7 years. I honestly would've expected to be well under 3 for that term.
Thats what you gotta do to keep the salaries for these type of player low.
I would gladly do a similar thing with Lehkonen for the Avs.
Also isn't there supposed to be a cap "explosion" on the horizon once the Covid-19 losses are dealt with considering the new TV deal and other stuff? Probably once the CBA expires in 25-26.
So that might not look all that bad down the line.

Last edited:

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
First few years it will feel like a steal I'm sure. Years 4-7 though.....yeah not so much.

He turned 27 in March and cap will be going up after a couple years. I think it's a good deal at least for 5 years. Last 2 maybe a gamble but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad