life after the Coyotes: if the team leaves how will it affect hockey in PHX?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Of course, there will be some effect on youth hockey. A lot of kids get into it because they want to be like Doan etc. I can see the numbers of kids starting to play going down when the team leaves. Kids who have already played for a while will probably keep playing, my daughter loves the team but she also loves playing on her mites team. She wants to play in the fall no matter what happens in the NHL.

But what about adult hockey? I personally can't see the people that I play with quitting just because there is no NHL team - but I do know that there ARE adults who start playing because of them. I myself started 15 months ago after I got into watching the Yotes. I know a few others who did the same thing. None of us plan to quit because we love playing, but I'm sure there will be some sort of damper on the adult beginner numbers. Then again...perhaps people will want something to replace going to the games and they will start playing instead. Adults who have already played for a while and have been playing in beer league are likely to continue to do so, so I don't see those numbers changing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Of course, there will be some effect on youth hockey. A lot of kids get into it because they want to be like Doan etc. I can see the numbers of kids starting to play going down when the team leaves. Kids who have already played for a while will probably keep playing, my daughter loves the team but she also loves playing on her mites team. She wants to play in the fall no matter what happens in the NHL.

But what about adult hockey? I personally can't see the people that I play with quitting just because there is no NHL team - but I do know that there ARE adults who start playing because of them. I myself started 15 months ago after I got into watching the Yotes. I know a few others who did the same thing. None of us plan to quit because we love playing, but I'm sure there will be some sort of damper on the adult beginner numbers. Then again...perhaps people will want something to replace going to the games and they will start playing instead. Adults who have already played for a while and have been playing in beer league are likely to continue to do so, so I don't see those numbers changing.
Personally I expect the loss of the Coyotes to take a young but strong hockey movement and for the most part crush it. So many people put so much effort into making hockey work here and now that it looks like their are enough roots planted that it might actually work it's all about to go to hell. It's a sad situation all around.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Personally I expect the loss of the Coyotes to take a young but strong hockey movement and for the most part crush it. So many people put so much effort into making hockey work here and now that it looks like their are enough roots planted that it might actually work it's all about to go to hell. It's a sad situation all around.

If Polar Ice gets bought and converted into something other than hockey, it will be the end of youth hockey in the valley unless you live in Scottsdale.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I think it'll be brutal. I tried offloading my gear to 'play it again sports' about a couple weeks ago - a full kid-size set, and a full grow-up set. Apparently none of the stores in town accept hockey gear anymore. They're overstocked, with no market to buy the stuff. The guy said 'the hockey trend has passed'.

Sad.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why is this suddenly a foregone conclusion after four years of merry go round? You think it stops spinning just because you have lost faith?

I saw this thread and my heart sank because I thought I missed an announcement.

This **** has taught us one thing; nothing will ever happen, and it will never end.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The potential loss of an NHL franchise will in no way affect my desire to be involved as a player and official, at least.

Without them I'd have never gotten into hockey as a teenager though, so there's that.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
The potential loss of an NHL franchise will in no way affect my desire to be involved as a player and official, at least.

Without them I'd have never gotten into hockey as a teenager though, so there's that.

Exactly - I know that I will not want to play any less, and probably MORE.

If the youth hockey involvement starts to go down, I can see the rinks having trouble selling ice time and struggling to exist. It already worries me that Polar is in receivership - I really, really hope the whole "turn it into a soccer facility" thing doesn't come to pass, because half of my ice time each week is spent at Polar, plus all of my daughter's involvement.

I can see kids who currently play continuing to play. But with fewer new kids coming into the sport, eventually it would die.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

To paraphrase the Kelly Clarkson song, "my life would suck without you," but Rundblad's is the right attitude.

Hockey is different than most sports in that there is little / no ability to play pickup games in your yard, but lots of sports flourish in lots of places without a local pro team, despite what the minimum wager at Play It Again Sports says ...

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
It's gonna affect the hockey community pretty hard IMO.

For example, the very reason I started playin hockey was because I got free tickets to a Phoenix roadrunners game. I was young and watched the players skate and hit and shoot and it was awesome.

I'm sure that's how alot of kids get into it. Without the coyotes, how will kids be exposed to hockey? They won't. Therefore hockey is going to shrivel up.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think it'll be brutal. I tried offloading my gear to 'play it again sports' about a couple weeks ago - a full kid-size set, and a full grow-up set. Apparently none of the stores in town accept hockey gear anymore. They're overstocked, with no market to buy the stuff. The guy said 'the hockey trend has passed'.

Sad.

Got skates? I have been looking for some.

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
...wait OT here, Polar Ice facilities are being converted to soccer facilities?
Last I heard, the Burke's (ice den) put in a bid to purchase the rinks.
Any word on this?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If the Coyotes were the 1st ever thing hockey to come to AZ then I could see hockey in this state taking a major blow. However, there is plenty of hockey that took place in AZ well before the Coyotes came and that played a role in helping to land an NHL team in this state. Keep in mind too that with a high transplant population is going to play a role in keeping the interest of playing hockey here up. We may lose one or 2 rinks but that would be more in areas that are lower income and would need the Coyotes in someway to get the funding needed for those rinks, teams, etc. At best the IceDen in Scottsdale will hold its own.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
If the Coyotes were the 1st ever thing hockey to come to AZ then I could see hockey in this state taking a major blow. However, there is plenty of hockey that took place in AZ well before the Coyotes came and that played a role in helping to land an NHL team in this state. Keep in mind too that with a high transplant population is going to play a role in keeping the interest of playing hockey here up. We may lose one or 2 rinks but that would be more in areas that are lower income and would need the Coyotes in someway to get the funding needed for those rinks. At best the IceDen in Scottsdale will hold its own.

I think Ocean side will stay strong also. Hopefully Polar Ice Gilbert will stay around but I don't think it will if the Coyotes leave.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
The bids to purchase the rinks have been turned in and there are several rumors as to what will happen. I've heard CAHA wants Peoria. I also heard that a group wants to keep Gilbert and peoria but sell the chandler for land.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I think the presence of a pro team is extremelly important in fostering the growth of the sport.

I personally don't see it affecting kids that are currently playing but it will definitely have an impact on future kids enrolling in the sport. If they are not exposed to it, they're not going to want to emulate it.

If Glendale gets an AHL or even ECHL team if the coyotes leave and they are very active in the community then I can see that influencing young kids to want to play hockey.

Now, I live in Canada and can give 2 examples off the top of my head. The first being the Toronto Raptors. When the NBA came to Canada in the mid-90's, basketball was not the most popular sport in Canada. It was shortly after the raptors we saw Steve Nash but exposure to the raptors had nothing to do with that. Now, we have more kids than ever going to US prep schools, getting US college scholarships, and ultimately getting drafted. Perfect examples are Anthony Bennett who went 1st overall this year and Andrew Wiggins who will likely go first overall next year. Both are from the Toronto area and were born in the early 90's.

The second may be a little lesser known to you guys but the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL. They used to be the Baltimore Stallions when the CFL tried to expand to the US. The whole thing tanked and they moved to Montreal and youth football in the province of Quebec exploded. A lot of french-canadian kids play football over hockey, get US College scholarships or even canadian ones. 3 french universities started programs and University of Laval is considered a powerhouse in the canadian university league. Some players even make the jump from CIS to the NFL (Cory Greenwood, Detroit). I know J.P Darche spent years with the seahawks. L.P Ladouceur plays for Dallas. The majority earn a living playing in Canada.

Point is, Kids saw that there was a chance they can turn this into something even if it only means CFL. There has to be some sort of pro influence whether it's NHL, AHL or ECHL to get kids involved.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
It's gonna affect the hockey community pretty hard IMO.

For example, the very reason I started playin hockey was because I got free tickets to a Phoenix roadrunners game. I was young and watched the players skate and hit and shoot and it was awesome.

I'm sure that's how alot of kids get into it. Without the coyotes, how will kids be exposed to hockey? They won't. Therefore hockey is going to shrivel up.

I agree with this. It will hurt hockey in the Valley. The question for me is will we ever get another NHL team. I think it's a possibility but I think it will take a long time. First a team would have to build a new stadium in a new location. Only then, would we have a chance.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If Polar Ice gets bought and converted into something other than hockey, it will be the end of youth hockey in the valley unless you live in Scottsdale.
I was told the Polar Ice sale went through this weekend and it was to a hockey guy (his son plays in AHL or something like that) so it looks like they are going to be safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad