News Article: Lieweke heading out as Toronto President/CEO

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I didn't see this posted here. If it is, my apologies and feel free to close/delete/merge without signalling.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459929

Appears he will be gone from the NHL for good (or at least a little while) after this season.

I know he was a pretty polarizing figure here and I find it odd he is leaving so soon after going to Toronto. Must have had a falling out.

I didn't really weigh in a lot when he was here but he seemed to take a few shots at the Kings/Los Angeles after leaving, especially about the hockey culture (or lack thereof in his opinion) and that soured me on him a fair bit. Thoughts?

Captain Mittens*

I didn't see this posted here. If it is, my apologies and feel free to close/delete/merge without signalling.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459929

Appears he will be gone from the NHL for good (or at least a little while) after this season.

I know he was a pretty polarizing figure here and I find it odd he is leaving so soon after going to Toronto. Must have had a falling out.

I didn't really weigh in a lot when he was here but he seemed to take a few shots at the Kings/Los Angeles after leaving, especially about the hockey culture (or lack thereof in his opinion) and that soured me on him a fair bit. Thoughts?

I think if he tries to come back to LA, the Ferguson police department shuold meet him at the state line

ferguson-police.jpg

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I think many soured on him after years of lying, but there are also a handful of blind loyalists who believed every word that came out of his mouth and would follow him to a lava pit, like Jim Jones and his flock of blind followers.

Among many of his lies were the way they handled contract negotiations with loyal players who were with the organization for many more years than Leiweke was around for. Him lying to fans that the Kings would be more competitive in spending money and acquiring talent after said failures at retaining their own free agents. Him lying when he said the Kings would "now be competitive" in pursuing talent after the salary cap was implemented.

Him pretty much forcing Jeremy Roenick onto the team (and Taylor pretty much admitted in an interview on FSW with Bob Miller that it was a PR move and not a hockey move). The blatant lies about the returns of Allison and Deadmarsh. After insulting Luc with a slap in the face offer and letting him go, they went ahead and signed Randy Robitaille. Great move Tim, you fooled us! Continuously wanting to add a "superstar" to the team without really having a plan to build a winner, his only interest was to spend as little as possible, just have one "star attraction" and sell tickets. Winning was secondary (until Lombardi came along).

He was a con man, and he was good at his job. Until he failed to deliver on his promises with other costly ventures that cost AEG a ton of money. They built an arena in Kansas City that doesn't house a sports franchise (and Leiweke promised that he'd deliver a team there, whoops). They spent money on developing a football stadium before they even had any interest or commitment from a team to move to LA, an incomplete plan that cost billions of dollars built on empty promises.

Oh and we can't forget how they continuously raised ticket prices "in order to remain competitive" in the NHL while the Kings were pretenders. Now it's different, and the organization finally turned around when Leiweke had his hands off and away from making team decisions. Let's also not forget how Lombardi was warned about how much control he would have upon joining the team. Thankfully Tim had other ventures to focus on, like Beckham and the Galaxy, that took his time away from ruining the Kings.

Captain Mittens*

I think many soured on him after years of lying, but there are also a handful of blind loyalists who believed every word that came out of his mouth and would follow him to a lava pit, like Jim Jones and his flock of blind followers.

Among many of his lies were the way they handled contract negotiations with loyal players who were with the organization for many more years than Leiweke was around for. Him lying to fans that the Kings would be more competitive in spending money and acquiring talent after said failures at retaining their own free agents. Him lying when he said the Kings would "now be competitive" in pursuing talent after the salary cap was implemented.

Him pretty much forcing Jeremy Roenick onto the team (and Taylor pretty much admitted in an interview on FSW with Bob Miller that it was a PR move and not a hockey move). The blatant lies about the returns of Allison and Deadmarsh. After insulting Luc with a slap in the face offer and letting him go, they went ahead and signed Randy Robitaille. Great move Tim, you fooled us! Continuously wanting to add a "superstar" to the team without really having a plan to build a winner, his only interest was to spend as little as possible, just have one "star attraction" and sell tickets. Winning was secondary (until Lombardi came along).

He was a con man, and he was good at his job. Until he failed to deliver on his promises with other costly ventures that cost AEG a ton of money. They built an arena in Kansas City that doesn't house a sports franchise (and Leiweke promised that he'd deliver a team there, whoops). They spent money on developing a football stadium before they even had any interest or commitment from a team to move to LA, an incomplete plan that cost billions of dollars built on empty promises.

Oh and we can't forget how they continuously raised ticket prices "in order to remain competitive" in the NHL while the Kings were pretenders. Now it's different, and the organization finally turned around when Leiweke had his hands off and away from making team decisions. Let's also not forget how Lombardi was warned about how much control he would have upon joining the team. Thankfully Tim had other ventures to focus on, like Beckham and the Galaxy, that took his time away from ruining the Kings.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9586290

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep/09/business/fi-biaggio9
And Don't forget that "Boots" scammed TL out of a bunch of AEG's money

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

...ordered DL to fire TM. That alone was worth two cups.

Captain Mittens*

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN 1m

Speculation in NHL circles today that Tim Leiweke will go back to LA to head up a 2024 Olympic bid which would include an NFL stadium.

There goes any hope of the NFL or the Olympics

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal

There goes any hope of the NFL or the Olympics

I honestly believe having an NFL team in LA again will only undo the efforts of the LA Kings to legitimize West Coast Hockey, especially when it's objectively the single-largest non-traditional hockey and West Coast market.

The NFL only has Georgia Frontiere and the Raiders TV blackouts to blame why today's Angelenos are more inclined to the NBA, NHL, and MLB than desiring an NFL team in today's LA Sports Market.

Back on topic, I have read enough Tim Leiweke horror stories to the point I easily see him, getting serenaded with "I Knew You Were Trouble."

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think there were a number of reasons for him leaving.

The weather. If you're coming from LA to any cold weather city, last winter would turn you off forever. I love winter but if it was my first time in Toronto I would be gone, too. There is speculation his family didn't like that.

Dealing with both Bell and Rogers. How 2 huge competitors work together is beyond me.

He was definitely polarizing but it's a shame he came in like a loudmouthed foreigner telling people how to do things because he could have done it a lot better. People don't like it when someone comes in and says they're going to do things that go way against normal thinking. Having said that, saying they were no longer going to honour the past was a good idea because honouring the past just reminds everyone that it's been forever since the Leafs did anything good.

He did some excellent work for the soccer team and the Raptors, and he is one of only 3 public people who stood up to Rob and Doug Ford, and the other 2 only did it after the Fords libeled them. He had no problem saying they were idiots and liars. I would have liked to have seen more of that but now he's going to be out of here by next summer but likely a lot sooner.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the sooner he disappears from the public eye the better. He is a very polarizing figure and no matter what he's connected to there will be plenty of eyerolling and commentary that is less than flattering to whatever NHL organization he's with. On reputation alone he's not good for the game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The whole AEG football thing is what really did him in around here. I get the feeling uncle Phil saw he was getting too powerful and finally had enough. I remember our reclusive owner showing up everywhere after Lieweke's dismissal , basically showing everyone who is really in charge of the AEG empire.

Captain Mittens*

The whole AEG football thing is what really did him in around here. I get the feeling uncle Phil saw he was getting too powerful and finally had enough. I remember our reclusive owner showing up everywhere after Lieweke's dismissal , basically showing everyone who is really in charge of the AEG empire.

From what I heard it was because he was warned by Anschutz and others that the NFL likes to "stroke" cities along about getting teams and part of the "LA is getting a team" rhetoric is generated by the NFL and that TL bought it hook line and sinker. TL allegedly wasted a **** ton of money and really pissed of Uncle Phil. I heard they realized exactly how much it was when they were accounting the assets when AEG was going to go on the market.

Despite what was reported, it wasn't a mutual parting.

Ron*

I think the sooner he disappears from the public eye the better. He is a very polarizing figure and no matter what he's connected to there will be plenty of eyerolling and commentary that is less than flattering to whatever NHL organization he's with. On reputation alone he's not good for the game.

Good. Send him to San Jose; he can decide what jerseys to sew the C and As on.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I honestly believe having an NFL team in LA again will only undo the efforts of the LA Kings to legitimize West Coast Hockey, especially when it's objectively the single-largest non-traditional hockey and West Coast market.

The NFL only has Georgia Frontiere and the Raiders TV blackouts to blame why today's Angelenos are more inclined to the NBA, NHL, and MLB than desiring an NFL team in today's LA Sports Market.

well, the main reason there's no football in L.A. is that the NFL and any potential owner has to deal with the Coliseum Commission and the LA City Council. Mark Ridley Thomas pretty much singlehandedly showed the NFL the door and made it a one team race when the NFL selected Houston as the last expansion team.

There are PLENTY of football fans in L.A., it's just that the L.A. political team in power are impossible to work with.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
If he comes back and brings the Rams, it's all water under the bridge in my opinion.

2 cups, a successful soccer team AND bringing the Rams back would be just fine in my book.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Lies weekly was a clown here in LA He was a high priced used car sale guy here who lied to the fans every time he opened his mouth. Was a great day when he was let go and I hope the clown never finds a job again as nobody should have to put up with a guy

Captain Mittens*

NBC sports says he's headed back to LA to head 2024 Olympics push...

And, to get an NFL team

We need to meet him at the airport and deny him entry in to LA. We'll deport him to Baker. He can be in charge of that ******* thermometer

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Lieweke may just be slightly underrated by posters here. The reasoning is two parts:

1. As stated by someone earlier, Lieweke urged Deano to fire Murray, though not necessarily to hire Sutter.

2. In Toronto, he spearheaded the successful effort to obtain Kings goaltender Jonathon Bernier. Bernier had the Maple Leafs in playoff contention, until he was injured during the 2nd half of the season. Now, Toronta should be good to go in goal for a decade (just like the Kings).

Yes, he did bumble things here and there, but hidden in between these were at least two very good moves.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
NBC sports says he's headed back to LA to head 2024 Olympics push...

And, to get an NFL team

Nice. At least I can stop worrying about my tax dollars going to these money grubbing organizations. If the IOC and/or NFL want to be in LA, let them fund it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad