Lidstrom Turns Down Coaching Offer

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
This has been known for months.

This is the first I've seen of it. Instead of a snarky response, a link would have been nice pointing out that this is common knowledge.

Thanks to the OP for showing me this. He would have made a good coach.

crashman

I think Lidstrom is too smart to ever take a coaching job in the NHL. It's not like he needs the money and I'm sure he's sick of the travel from playing for the Wings the past 20 years.

I bet he stays in Sweden and eventually takes a job with the Swedish national team and never makes it back to NA. That's what I'd do I were him, just enjoy my retirement in Sweden but stay involved in hockey in some small capacity.

crashman

No it hasn't. Unless you have a news report from months ago that we all somehow missed.

I'm 100% positive that I heard this news over a month ago. I also thought it was weird that it was just being reported.

I don't have the article, but it was around the time the Granato hiring was announced. Babcock mentioned in the article that he called Lidstrom and offered him an assistant job.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I could picture Lidstrom being our PP coach, and just shaking his head at how bad our shots from the point are.

"Do I have to come out here and show you guys how to shoot through traffic?"

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
At least it was as an assistant coach. Mark me down as one of those guys who isn't a fan of ex-greats becoming coaches until they've proved themselves - in any sport. Great players very, very rarely become great coaches.

I could picture Lidstrom being our PP coach, and just shaking his head at how bad our shots from the point are.

That's part of the problem. Great players struggle to understand how/cope with lesser players can't do the things they did easily.

Actual Thought*

Yeah, "Just be perfect." "How hard can it be?" :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
At least it was as an assistant coach. Mark me down as one of those guys who isn't a fan of ex-greats becoming coaches until they've proved themselves - in any sport. Great players very, very rarely become great coaches.

That's part of the problem. Great players struggle to understand how/cope with lesser players can't do the things they did easily.

coaching by the great one

''ok boys, go where the puck goes next not where it is now.''

''profit''.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I just think being a (professional) coach and being a player require two different and mostly mutually exclusive mindsets.

A lot of great coaches were never great players and a lot of great players failed as coaches in all sports.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting that the guy most often mentioned with Lidstrom as great D-man that thought the game extremely well is Larry "Big Bird" Robinson. Now he has accepted a role outside of coaching now, but has always been looked on positively as an assistant and was even the main boss for one of the Devils cup wins.

I personally think Lidstrom would be a great coach. He has the work ethic and the attention to detail that is virtually unmatched. He was measured in terms of how he spoke with teammates and really everyone. Yes he would see the game better than other players have but look at Kronwall, part of what he became lies with Lidstrom tutoring him and that is according to Kronwall. Even Chelios would talk about learning a ton from Lidstrom. If he wants to stay retired and in Sweden fine, but should he ever show remote interest in this we need to sign him, I think he will succeed just like he does in virtually every aspect of his life we have heard about.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The planning, dicipline and preparation part of the coaching job, Lidström would handle with ease.

I think you guys right though, Lids (or his wife) doesnt want to travel around the NA continent, not right now. Maybe further on.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My apologies if this has already been posted, but see http://www.freep.com/article/20140826/SPORTS05/308260023/detroit-red-wings-nicklas-lidstrom. Do you think Lidstrom would make a good assistant coach (either in the NHL or elsewhere)?

No experience coaching whatsoever so it makes a lot of sense. I'd prefer to have him scouting and imparting wisdom to players like Mattias Backman, who is a Lidstrom-like player. Jiri is director of player development but focuses mostly on prospects in North America. I'd like to see #5 play that same role with European prospects. :yo:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That would be pretty easy to tell...

"Move sideways on the blueline, don't look down and shoot when there's an open lane and/if the screener is positioned right, or, if you can use opposite player as a screen. If there's a blocker on the lane, react, do a fake shot and shoot if that opens lane or shoot wide on purpose to maybe get a tip-in from the screener, or, a bad end board bounce to get a goalie surprising scoring chance. If the screener is out of position and there's a blocker on the shooting lane, do a fake shot or pass and keep the possession and wait for another chance."

...but very hard to learn.

It will need phenomenal skill level and hockey IQ to complete those fast decions right. Just like Lidström had.

Last edited:

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I don't see Lidstrom being a good coach. I just don't think he's got the personality or desire to. Most Wings fans can't seem to see past the on ice performance. When players say they learned a lot from Lidstrom, I think it was more from watching him than it was him instructing them. He just doesn't seem to be one of those obsessed with the game types. He seems happy, he's got all the money he could want, his family is happy, why would he want to come back?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If our head coach (a man who knows something about coaching) asks Lidström to be his assistant, this head coach maybe has an eye to determine who would be a good coach. So far these guys Babcock has brought in have been great guys. So would very probably be Lidström.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad