Confirmed with Link: Lidstrom hired as VP of Hockey Ops!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Jim Howard as catering

WellinformedWickedBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
It seems like "VP of Hockey Operations" is a slightly too haughty title for what they're going to have him do. Probably need to have a bit of that ole title inflation to justify the likely hefty salary they'll pay him.

Yeah it sounds like he’s a scout. With such a title, I thought he would be more involved and move back to the area.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like it at first thought for sure. Honest question though, what has he done in hockey OPs post retirement to get this spot. Former players aren't always good in these roles. Just asking, I think he will do well, but how do we know?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The best timeline.

There's few hockey minds I respect as much as Lidstrom.

Think Lidström would be quite old when Yzerman retires....

but there's also Zetterberg... :) he'll join the "European department" next. I'll quarantee it. :D

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like it at first thought for sure. Honest question though, what has he done in hockey OPs post retirement to get this spot. Former players aren't always good in these roles. Just asking, I think he will do well, but how do we know?

Do we have to know?

Like, it's Steve damn Yzerman who knows him best as his career buddy. And Yzerman said it was Lidström always giving him best thoughts on team meetings. It's already Lidström's reputation who Yzerman knows best. That's what he has done to earn this post. Yzerman always went to ask him on opinions. He likes to do it again, and probably has been doing all these years, Lidström without any title/job. HE likes to get opinions and ideas, and then he (Yzerman) decides what to do. More brains are always stronger than one brain.

How do we know = trusting for Yzeman, that he just knows the best people. His reputation is pretty good for that. Let him build, we'll see the results after a decade.

I don't really know Lidström, but all I know about him of his career was based on smarts and IQ and as a person was kind of a boring but really effective "office worker" on his playing years. Did eat always the same meal etc, because it's the most optimal for his body... never took a day off as working extra for the perfectly built body.

He is that damn perfect human they said. It was not a joke. :bow:I like intelligence and smarts in our management.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do we have to know?

Like, it's Steve damn Yzerman who knows him best as his career buddy. And Yzerman said it was Lidström always giving him best thoughts on team meetings. It's already Lidström's reputation who Yzerman knows best. That's what he has done to earn this post. Yzerman always went to ask him on opinions. He likes to do it again, and probably has been doing all these years, Lidström without any title/job. HE likes to get opinions and ideas, and then he (Yzerman) decides what to do. More brains are always stronger than one brain.

How do we know = trusting for Yzeman, that he just knows the best people. His reputation is pretty good for that. Let him build, we'll see the results after a decade.

I don't really know Lidström, but all I know about him of his career was based on smarts and IQ and as a person was kind of a boring but really effective "office worker" on his playing years. Did eat always the same meal etc, because it's the most optimal for his body... never took a day off as working extra for the perfectly built body.

He is that damn perfect human they said. It was not a joke. :bow:I like intelligence and smarts in our management.

No person is perfect, not even Nick Lidstrom.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know what you're saying but I'd be looking hard at guys like Draper, Maltby, Fischer, and Cleary before I started worrying about Lidstrom.

I don't care if they give Lids the title of "King of All that is Winged Wheel" or make him a janitor, as long as he can weigh in on things and help with the defense, especially mentoring Seider.

Reactions: Oddbob

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Let's see... Now, if we could only find someone to coach this team... Who is available? Oh, I know, McCarty, with Maltby as assistant. They will set those kids straight...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I mean I get it but does it really even do much harm if he isn't? it's not like he's taking over the whole organization or like the Wings don't have other guys over in Europe doing a good job

maybe he isn't any good at it but kinda seems like a low risk high reward kinda move to me

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No Nick and Yzerman never gets a cup.

It's not that sure.

If there's no Nick, there could be healthy Konstantinov and Devellano was very hard going after Brian Leetch at the mid-90s. You have Leetch-Murphy and Fetisov-Konstantinov and Cup will happen.

Lidström made that 20 year run possible. From 1992 to 2012. That was unreal. I don't know is there a Cup at 2008 without him. Leetch and Konstantinov would have been too old or retired then. Maybe Jiri Fischer won't collapse...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Seems exciting to me, he has always struck me as humble, brilliant, and calculating, which are great traits in leadership roles that need a long game.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We don't know. However, there's no reason to think he'd be bad in a role like this. Let's be real it's not like he'll be in charge of some vital parts of the organization right from the get go. He'll be another voice, another pair of eyes. Personality wise he's perfect for management. Patient, steady, doesn't seem to care about his own ego or personal glory.
And underrated part of Lidström's addition is also just how it adds more shine to the rebuild, helping to attract more talent both in terms of players and personnel.

Reactions: Peter Tosh

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
The whole world is sitting in Teams- or Zoom meetings so I can't see why Lids wouldn't be able to contribute daily in Yzerman's decision making process.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad