Lidstrom: 18-year NHL career, 18 postseasons

RECsGuy*

I'm certain Larry Robinson did it twenty times

you win. it would be something if lids played three more seasons to take that record. 21 consecutive postseason appearances out of the gate sounds like an awfully daunting mark to break.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Bourque made it 17 straight until the Bruins cratered in '96-'97 - the only time in 22 seasons that Ray played golf. But at least The B's got Joe Thornton for their "efforts".

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
With the exception of this year (with ATL), if I'm not mistaken Chelios only missed the playoffs once in his career as well.

Other than Robinson and Lidstrom, I can't come up with anyone else who's never missed the playoffs for 15+ years.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
brad park never missed the playoffs, but he played 17 seasons.

bob gainey never missed the playoffs, but he played 16 seasons.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not counting the two seasons where he was called up for a total of five games, Beliveau only missed the playoffs once in an 18 year career. That would be 1970, when the Canadiens only missed on a tie-breaker.

Were he not injured in 1962, Henri Richard would have also counted 1970 as the only year in his 20 seasons that he didn't play in the playoffs.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Richard missed in 70, along with Beliveau, because on the last day of the season, they needed a win or 5 goals to get in. Falling behind 5-2, they yanked Vachon with 9:16 to go in the third...but they failed to score and gave up FIVE empty net goals!

Devils Mike*

Brodeur is 15/16, which I'd say is pretty good. Especially since he played 70 games per season in most of those years.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Bourque made it 17 straight until the Bruins cratered in '96-'97 - the only time in 22 seasons that Ray played golf. But at least The B's got Joe Thornton for their "efforts".

Not surprisingly, that year Bourque was playing injured all year long, missing 22 games, but walking wounded the rest of them. The Bruins suffered while he was at diminished capacity. Especially since they had a near farm team with a few stars.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Brodeur is 15/16, which I'd say is pretty good. Especially since he played 70 games per season in most of those years.

And you know the crazy thing? They got beat on the last game of the season to the lowly Ottawa Senators in order to be knocked out. This is one of the worst teams in history. Ouch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad