Prospect Info: Lias Andersson - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
That's not fair. Malhotra was a long time ago, under different management and is a much different situation that an Andersson.

yea Malhotra actually had a lot more talent. Andersson reminds me of Derek Armstrong vibe. great 1st round selection for an AHL player/ Euro Tweener, not an NHL player.. Andersson will have an Immonen type of career

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Funny enough but I feel the same of your post so I guess we're at an impasse there.

To point no 2. Really then tell me oh wise one how YOU know about the differences either a 2010 pick and 2020 pick faces!?!?! Quinn doesn't know but you evidently do with all your pro hockey experiences...Please spell out the differences that had escaped Quinn's mind since you are so in tune with it.

Never said everyone knows everything just that they know more than you or me. The difference between you and me is I accept that I'm coming from a place of some ignorance while you foolishly think you know what Quinn is thinking and start jumping to a whole bunch of ignorant conclusions as a result.

I'm not arguing that they didn't screw up by rushing him. He wasn't ready. They thought he was. They likely saw that in practice/training camp. They likely kept him on the 4th line and hoped he improved in practice and then sent him down to improve there. Why do I believe this? Because these are things they did with the aforementioned players.

Unfortunately, by his own admission, Lias was too hard on himself, got depressed and returned home to get his head straight. I do believe it's as simple as that.

What are you talking about?

How come I know? Lol I have the benefit of hindsight. I am back seat driving, it’s a lot easier now to call that it was wrong to rush Lias over right away. I would bet my right arm that everyone in the organization willingly would admit that too, it’s not really debatable. And you say the same thing, I don’t follow at all. We are saying the same thing lol. ;)

You make it sound like I am claiming to know better than these guys how to develop Lafreniere. I am not. I am looking at a de facto disaster and putting it in a context.

You don’t have to be a super scout that knows things better than our scouting office to claim that Hugh Jessiman was a bad pick. We made some really dumb calls on Lias. Really few kids have been ready at 18 lately. Really really few. Lias was a bit of a reach at 18. He would undoubtedly been much better of to grow a few years and building up his physics before being rushed to the NHL.

How could our brass make a mistake of this magnitude? A more experienced coach would without any single doubt in no unclear terms have explained to his GM that the league was just too tough for an 18 y/o like Lias. A GM that — unlike Gorton — had more experience of handling high prospects wouldn’t have rushed him over. Just like Gorton never would do it again. These are facts.

Reactions: egelband

effen

Feb 3, 2018
How could anyone do anything wrong ever? Can't believe literally everything doesn't go right every time.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
What are you talking about?

How come I know? Lol I have the benefit of hindsight. I am back seat driving, it’s a lot easier now to call that it was wrong to rush Lias over right away. I would bet my right arm that everyone in the organization willingly would admit that too, it’s not really debatable. And you say the same thing, I don’t follow at all. We are saying the same thing lol. ;)

You make it sound like I am claiming to know better than these guys how to develop Lafreniere. I am not. I am looking at a de facto disaster and putting it in a context.

You don’t have to be a super scout that knows things better than our scouting office to claim that Hugh Jessiman was a bad pick. We made some really dumb calls on Lias. Really few kids have been ready at 18 lately. Really really few. Lias was a bit of a reach at 18. He would undoubtedly been much better of to grow a few years and building up his physics before being rushed to the NHL.

How could our brass make a mistake of this magnitude? A more experienced coach would without any single doubt in no unclear terms have explained to his GM that the league was just too tough for an 18 y/o like Lias. A GM that — unlike Gorton — had more experience of handling high prospects wouldn’t have rushed him over. Just like Gorton never would do it again. These are facts.
Hey Ola, I might of been a lil tipsy during my last post to ya :eek: I think we're talking past each other a lil bit. It's all good. I normally don't disagree with your takes and if I do, I respect that you can at least back 'em up with some logic.

On this subject, we agree on a bunch, I just had two points of contention: That Quinn "hates" Lias. That Quinn is totally incapable of empathizing with a high draft pick.

It doesn't matter though because Andersson is over in the SHL for now and there is no road map for his future in the NHL, if there even is one.

As for Quinn/Gorton/Rangers, ya hope they learn from Andersson (and all the rest of the personnel moves they have made) and are better, smarter, stronger, going forward.

.....oh and maybe if Quinn wraps Lias up in a hospital receiving blanket you'll feel more confident in Lias coming back :naughty:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hey Ola, I might of been a lil tipsy during my last post to ya :eek: I think we're talking past each other a lil bit. It's all good. I normally don't disagree with your takes and if I do, I respect that you can at least back 'em up with some logic.

On this subject, we agree on a bunch, I just had two points of contention: That Quinn "hates" Lias. That Quinn is totally incapable of empathizing with a high draft pick.

It doesn't matter though because Andersson is over in the SHL for now and there is no road map for his future in the NHL, if there even is one.

As for Quinn/Gorton/Rangers, ya hope they learn from Andersson (and all the rest of the personnel moves they have made) and are better, smarter, stronger, going forward.

.....oh and maybe if Quinn wraps Lias up in a hospital receiving blanket you'll feel more confident in Lias coming back :naughty:

Thanks and same here! :)

This is a bloody subject to start with. For me it is also a little touchy subject because I've been half-annoyed at how our front-office is anything but a meritocracy and the writing has been on the wall that we would see some blunders. Individually I don't mind anyone from Davidsson to Gorton to Drury to Ortmayer to DQ, and I do think that it has been apparent that the day only has 24 hours for Gorton.

But these guys will learn as they go. Something has finally been done about HFD. I think we will think twice about rushing kids in the future.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Thanks and same here! :)

This is a bloody subject to start with. For me it is also a little touchy subject because I've been half-annoyed at how our front-office is anything but a meritocracy and the writing has been on the wall that we would see some blunders. Individually I don't mind anyone from Davidsson to Gorton to Drury to Ortmayer to DQ, and I do think that it has been apparent that the day only has 24 hours for Gorton.

But these guys will learn as they go. Something has finally been done about HFD. I think we will think twice about rushing kids in the future.
I'm calling BS on this one, @Ola. You've had it in for JD from the moment his hiring was announced.

Reactions: romba

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm calling BS on this one, @Ola. You've had it in for JD from the moment his hiring was announced.

Yeah, but I loved him before that, its in the context of the front office already in place that I rather would have seen some experienced GM.

I truly believe that Jeff Gorton could be the best guy for the job in NY. But that is because (a) he is not in any way risk adverse like so many other GM's out there, (b) he is great at working the phones and making things happen. So many GMs out there never accomplish this. But I don't think he is the visonary as some of his peers. Think we will hit a few mines if he doesn't surround himself with guys more in tune with the progress in the NHL. What worked 10 years ago will far from always work today so to speak.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Powerplay tip in goal? All day Andersson says

I bash the kid but the one thing he’s always been good at is scoring down low around the net. Couldn’t beat a high school goalie Clean from the hash marks out but hands around the net always top notch.

My hope for him was to develop into that type of net front guy that people hate to play against. He always had his size against him a bit for that role, but he was feisty enough, and has very quick hands to loose pucks.

Edit - just noticed that I'm talking about him in past tense lol. I'm resigned to him not being a Ranger.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
My hope for him was to develop into that type of net front guy that people hate to play against. He always had his size against him a bit for that role, but he was feisty enough, and has very quick hands to loose pucks.

Edit - just noticed that I'm talking about him in past tense lol. I'm resigned to him not being a Ranger.

If he can only produce on the pp he’s not even going to an nhler at all Let alone a Ranger.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I think he is playing this way because Andersson really wants out of NYR. Rangers should keep him and not trade him. why do him any favors. still a AHL player at best. we have seen AHL players do the same thing as Andersson in europe.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think he is playing this way because Andersson really wants out of NYR. Rangers should keep him and not trade him. why do him any favors. still a AHL player at best. we have seen AHL players do the same thing as Andersson in europe.
It's not about doing him favors, if he's an AHL player at best like you say, why not trade him to get something else?

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Or maybe our fan base is full of a bunch of hypocrites who hate on Lias when Lias asked for a trade but have no problem with Fox, Hayes and Vesey refusing to play for their teams and wanting to sign here.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Or maybe our fan base is full of a bunch of hypocrites who hate on Lias when Lias asked for a trade but have no problem with Fox, Hayes and Vesey refusing to play for their teams and wanting to sign here.
Big difference they had a choice and took the UFA loophole. And In Fox Rangers traded for him to secure him being a Rangers. Did any of them quit on their team like Andersson when things don’t work well??

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Big difference they had a choice and took the UFA loophole. And In Fox Rangers traded for him to secure him being a Rangers. Did any of them quit on their team like Andersson when things don’t work well??

Yes, Hayes and Vesey literally quit on their team. They literally walked away from the team that had their rights. Vesey even did it twice. All within their rights of course, using the possibility to opt for UFA status, but they did quit on the team that drafted them

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yes, Hayes and Vesey literally quit on their team. They literally walked away from the team that had their rights. Vesey even did it twice. All within their rights of course, using the possibility to opt for UFA status, but they did quit on the team that drafted them

How do you quit on a team that you never had a contract with or agreed to play for in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad