Prospect Info: Lias Andersson - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Not sure if Howden got the hockey sense to be a center in the NHL, I like his upside more as a LW. But his wheels and engine is definitely a good trait in a center.

Give him time, I think he still can improve a lot. However, I do think he must get more involved physically. He isn’t the type of player who can get by as a finesse guy.

Yeah I think he also tries to play the game too much with the puck on his stick. Like you say, the hockey sense to be a center may be lacking. When he tries to take time to find plays to make he tends to run into trouble/run out of time. Playing more straight forward up and down hockey would fit him better

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure if Howden got the hockey sense to be a center in the NHL, I like his upside more as a LW. But his wheels and engine is definitely a good trait in a center.

Give him time, I think he still can improve a lot. However, I do think he must get more involved physically. He isn’t the type of player who can get by as a finesse guy.

I expect Howden to get a bit heavier and a bit stronger as he gets older. It's an issue right now that he's not strong enough for his size. He's still at least partially a kid.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Interview with Lias in DN in Sweden. Google translated.

”Jag har slagit sönder speglar, lampor och papperskorgar” - DN.SE

"I have broken mirrors, lamps and trash cans"

PUBLISHED 06:40
HV71's Lias Andersson tells in an interview with DN about how his bad mood made the situation in New York unbearable for him.
HV71's Lias Andersson tells in an interview with DN about how his bad mood made the situation in New York unbearable for him. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
JÖNKÖPING. What do you do when reality does not live up to the dream?
When the fear of failure makes simplicity difficult and the joy is gone.
21-year-old Lias Andersson packed his hockey trunk and left New York.
- I ended up in a vicious spiral that I had to break, he says.
Photographer Karlsson has decided to capture a happy Lias Andersson in a picture. It does not take long before he has secured a large number of such. Between each exercise on the training, the 21-year-old walks around with a smile on his face.
But as you know, it can swing quickly in hockey.
At the end of the training, you suddenly hear the sound of a booth door being slammed shut with an angry force. This is Lias Andersson's way of saying that he was not happy with his own efforts in the last change.
- I have a mood that reminds me sometimes. I've had that since I started playing, says Lias with a crooked smile when we ask him after training about the anger against the booth door.
- For the most part, it has been an asset that I am as passionate as I am about hockey. But of course there were times when I was younger - to be honest, there are still moments like that - when the cup overflowed.
In Jönköping, Lias Andersson has found his way back to the joy of hockey.
In Jönköping, Lias Andersson has found his way back to the joy of hockey. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
What did you do?
- Oh, that was a lot, is Lia's spontaneous answer.
- Separately, it was not really that big stuff, but I did a lot of stupid things. I have smashed lamps, mirrors, trash cans and of course a bunch of clubs. In addition, I could completely unnecessarily quarrel with judges and opponents.
- Today I think I'm better at using anger in the right way, not like a few years ago when I could incur unnecessary expulsions. Now I try to use it as a lighter fluid both for myself and the team, and avoid it putting us in the shit.
For those of us who also wrote about your father Niklas (15 seasons in Frölunda and 10 seasons in the NHL / AHL), he appeared to be the world's calmest player. Did he fool us or do you have two completely different moods?
- Yes, he cheated a little. It burns quite well in him too, says Lias and laughs.
- On the other hand, he was much better than I am at showing off a "stone face". This is where I also want to reach.
The training is over and 21-year-old Lias Andersson loads the plate full of rag donut and pork, which is today's lunch.
- I think it's fun with food, he says.
- Not in the way that I myself am a particularly good chef, even though I try to get better, but I like to try new dishes and try new restaurants.
We are sitting in the lunch restaurant in HV71's home arena Husqvarna Garden.
It was to Jönköping that Lias Andersson moved as a teenager when he left his parents' home in Kungälv to start hockey high school. And that was where he returned when his time in the New York Rangers came to an abrupt end.
- In HV, I feel safe. Here they know me inside and out. Although home will always be where the family lives, Jönköping feels like my second home.
21-year-old Lias Andersson believes that he ended up in a vicious circle in the USA. Bad mood led to sleep problems and poorer performance on the ice.
21-year-old Lias Andersson believes that he ended up in a vicious circle in the USA. Bad mood led to sleep problems and poorer performance on the ice. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
In his old club, the 21-year-old has been allowed to land softly. Something that was needed after a tough time in New York.
- Because I did not feel good outside the hockey field, I did not get what I wanted on the field at all, says Lias Andersson about the last months in New York.
I no longer even thought it was super fun to play hockey, and then it was time to research myself. Because even though hockey is incredibly important to me, I also want to feel good as a person.
The 21-year-old ended up - as he calls it - in a vicious spiral that made him unable to perform on the ice because he did not feel well outside. And when he could not perform on the ice, it made him feel worse outside.
When it was at its worst, he had difficulty sleeping, which of course made it even harder to play good hockey in the world's best league.
- In the past, I have usually, no matter where I have been, had a fairly large role in the team with the task of delivering and performing. When you feel that you are no longer delivering but start making simple mistakes both in training and in matches that you have never done before, and can barely even cope with the basics like putting a pass right, it's tough.
- Then you start to doubt yourself, and then you are affected both as a player and as a person.
- I no longer even thought it was super fun to play hockey, and then it was time to research myself. Because even though hockey is incredibly important to me, I also want to feel good as a person.
Lias Andersson made his debut for the New York Rangers in March 2018, and became a goal scorer already in the premiere.
Lias Andersson made his debut for the New York Rangers in March 2018, and became a goal scorer already in the premiere. Photo: Kostas Lymperopoulos / TT
For a long time he wrestled with his mind on his own.
- From the beginning, I did not talk to anyone about it, even though both the family and the agents obviously suspected that something was wrong.
- It was like something that was gnawing at my head all the time, but at the same time something that was difficult to explain.
In the middle of it all, Lias was injured, and when he was moved down to Rangers' grandfather team Hartford Wolf Pack in November last year, he did not join the team within the stipulated 24 hours. As a result, Rangers fired him without pay.
Lias had reached a limit when it was no longer possible to remain silent about how he was feeling.
- I am a very impulsive person, and have previously made quite impulsive decisions, so when I said I wanted to go home, the first thought of everyone around me was "now he has something for himself again", says Lias with a smile .
- However, they quickly realized that it was both seriously meant and well thought out, and both family and friends supported me in a fantastic way. Not to mention my agents who did a great job. So I have many to thank for feeling as good as I do today.
Lias continues with a determined voice:
- And I really want to emphasize that I went home had nothing to do with the fact that I did not want to play in the grandfather league. I felt almost worse when I was in the NHL than when I was there.
On Saturday 19 September, Lias Andersson will face his former club Frölunda in the SHL premiere.
On Saturday 19 September, Lias Andersson will face his former club Frölunda in the SHL premiere. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
In the months since you left home, have you regretted your decision?
- No, I have not done that, but I can say that I am sorry that it turned out the way it did. You do not want to put any club or association in the shit.
Back home in Sweden, he had no thoughts of making a comeback on the ice in the near future, but when he got the chance to play for HV71 in January, he felt ready.
With the pandemic, the season was short, already on March 15 it was over.
What would happen this season was a question mark for a long time, but when the New York Rangers agreed to loan him out, Lias knew he wanted to stay in HV.
- When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here, says Lias.
The contract with Rangers expires after this season, and what happens then is not something that Lias wants to talk about. For the first time during our conversation, he is silent for a while before saying:
- Sometimes it feels like many people forget that I am only 21 years old and that I still learn things both as a player and as a person.
- I have realized that it does not work to go around on the ice and think that I should "show myself" to play for a contract next season. Therefore, I have let go of the thoughts of what will happen in the future and focus on doing the best I can this season.
“When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here ”, says Lias Andersson about life in HV71.
“When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here ”, says Lias Andersson about life in HV71. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
It's a special SHL season that kicks off on Saturday. The corona virus causes it to start in front of empty stands.
HV71 has a large and loyal home crowd, and the pressure in the arena is high class.
- Usually we get that extra ride from the audience, many times it really feels like we are a player more when the audience takes in. Now it is up to us players to give each other that ride on those days when you are a little unfocused, says Lias.
- So far, I think we have done very well. We are on top of each other in training, and compete against each other.
It is when we talk about the importance of the audience that the conversation takes a new turn and begins to be about football.
Several of the football hallsvenskan's large audience teams have had a difficult season. Among them is Lias Andersson's favorite team IFK Gothenburg.
- The only bright spot this season has been the cup victory.
Should I watch a match on TV, I choose football before hockey. If I watch a hockey match, it is not relaxation in the same way. Then I mostly sit and look at details that I can learn something from.
In an attempt to climb up the table, Gothenburg has, among other things, recruited home Pontus Wernbloom. Something that Lias applauds.
- Wernbloom is one of my favorite players. He also comes from the Kungälv region so I have always had a good eye for him. His energy will be important for the team, says Lias.
- I do not know him as a person but I like that he is straight and honest while he keeps a twinkle in his eye and does not take everything so seriously.
Lias played football himself until he was 13-14 years old.
- I think football is fantastic fun, and if I am going to watch a match on TV, I choose football before hockey, he says.
- If I watch a hockey match, it is not relaxation in the same way. Then I mostly sit and look at details that I can learn something from. However, when I watch a football match, I can only enjoy the game

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
thanks for the translations. it sounded like the team needed to get this kid a therapist to work out a lot of his performance anxiety that dicked his sleep schedule. Would love to see some of this fire he talks about on the ice, against opponents. Not really against the refs.

Also
You do not want to put any club or association in the shit.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
persistent lack of sleep could well dull reflexes to the point he looked like he couldn't skate. I've seen very few goons, let alone top-10 picks, who looked as slow footed as Lias did for a lot of his career. It's a better explanation than "he's a bad skater". Hope he works it all out. Doubly hope they don't trade him.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
persistent lack of sleep could well dull reflexes to the point he looked like he couldn't skate. I've seen very few goons, let alone top-10 picks, who looked as slow footed as Lias did for a lot of his career. It's a better explanation than "he's a bad skater". Hope he works it all out. Doubly hope they don't trade him.
I think a therapist, a Swedish therapist, will do wonders for him.

Reactions: Leetch3

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Read the book Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker and you'll understand how much not sleeping can affect you.
Unfortunately he came over too early and wasn't ready to handle it. Would be nice now that he's matured a little to get him back but I don't see that happening.

Reactions: pblawr

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I kinda don't mind giving guys a taste of the NHL if they earn it in camp and let them run with it...but also think it's OK to send them down to the AHL if they start to struggle. It was fine when they did it with Chytil, it was fine when they did it with Kreider and other past prospects. Why Howden was exempt from it I'll never know.

Too limited options to step-in in his place. Vs available options the front office with the coaching stuff likely decided that it was ok to let Howden to struggle and deal with figuring it out while in the line up. Plus in a specific situation two seasons ago during this struggle period in his rookie year Howden got injured, otherwise I think he was AHL bound. What I’m sure of is that there were lengthy discussions on this subject.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
its a rough translation and who knows if he is sharing everything but I don't get the impression from that interview that he hates the rangers or holds ill will to them and he even said being in the ahl wasn't the issue...

there is a long road back (which includes improving enough to be a NHL player) but I don't get the impression that the window is closed...and I get the feeling that Lias has matured alot since leaving hartford and is acknowledging his own part in the situation. which is great for him and his future, even if its not here.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I feel like this kid just needs to shut the hell up and play hockey. I'm honestly getting so fed up of reading interviews about him playing video games at night...breaking trash cans...skypeing....being bullied..etc

At a certain point just get the help you need..shut up and play.
Hot take central here

Reactions: JCProdigy

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hot take central here
What's hot take about it. He's done like 4or 5 interviews on the subject...gives cryptic answers sometimes...talks about depression and then depression is immediately dismissed by his agent.

I'm just tired of reading about it. Everyone knows what happens more or less.

He's playing well and that is what I want to hear about...about how he's changed his training program or how he's focusing more on going to the net or working on his passing or what not.

I still think with regards to his play there's a couple of important things to note...it sure seems like a lot of his productivity is coming on the power play...and on a team with panarin, kakko, kreider, zibanejad, lafreniere,fox, buch, DeAngelo, etc etc etc I just don't see him ever playing on the power play. So the question is...how is his 5 on 5 play.

And that's what I want to see improve. How is he skating shift to shift...is he keeping his feet moving? How's his board work? How's his reads of the play coming off the cycle

Those are all things I say lacking with varying degrees of severity.

I think we all know in a more or less stationary role on the power play he's got talent and can score...but the league is filled with guys who can do that in lower levels of hockey.

He's not skilled enough to get those opportunities in the NHL...so how's his game outside of that setting doing. Because that's going to be his pathway back to the NHL, even if it's with another club.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As someone who has dealt with that same "anxiety leads to less sleep, less sleep worsens anxiety" cycle, I can very much relate to what he's saying there. And let me tell you folks, my god does it suck.

Look who posted it. Are you honestly surprised?
I've had chronic insomnia since I had my brain aneurysm at 21. I'm very aware of the toll it takes mentally and physically. I've had the days where my hands have shaken and I can't stop. So I'm totally on board with all that. With that said...I'm really more interested in what he's doing to better himself than to rehash his problems. If he spent an article talking about getting therapy or something I'd be happy for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Interview with Lias in DN in Sweden. Google translated.

”Jag har slagit sönder speglar, lampor och papperskorgar” - DN.SE

"I have broken mirrors, lamps and trash cans"

PUBLISHED 06:40
HV71's Lias Andersson tells in an interview with DN about how his bad mood made the situation in New York unbearable for him.
HV71's Lias Andersson tells in an interview with DN about how his bad mood made the situation in New York unbearable for him. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
JÖNKÖPING. What do you do when reality does not live up to the dream?
When the fear of failure makes simplicity difficult and the joy is gone.
21-year-old Lias Andersson packed his hockey trunk and left New York.
- I ended up in a vicious spiral that I had to break, he says.
Photographer Karlsson has decided to capture a happy Lias Andersson in a picture. It does not take long before he has secured a large number of such. Between each exercise on the training, the 21-year-old walks around with a smile on his face.
But as you know, it can swing quickly in hockey.
At the end of the training, you suddenly hear the sound of a booth door being slammed shut with an angry force. This is Lias Andersson's way of saying that he was not happy with his own efforts in the last change.
- I have a mood that reminds me sometimes. I've had that since I started playing, says Lias with a crooked smile when we ask him after training about the anger against the booth door.
- For the most part, it has been an asset that I am as passionate as I am about hockey. But of course there were times when I was younger - to be honest, there are still moments like that - when the cup overflowed.
In Jönköping, Lias Andersson has found his way back to the joy of hockey.
In Jönköping, Lias Andersson has found his way back to the joy of hockey. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
What did you do?
- Oh, that was a lot, is Lia's spontaneous answer.
- Separately, it was not really that big stuff, but I did a lot of stupid things. I have smashed lamps, mirrors, trash cans and of course a bunch of clubs. In addition, I could completely unnecessarily quarrel with judges and opponents.
- Today I think I'm better at using anger in the right way, not like a few years ago when I could incur unnecessary expulsions. Now I try to use it as a lighter fluid both for myself and the team, and avoid it putting us in the shit.
For those of us who also wrote about your father Niklas (15 seasons in Frölunda and 10 seasons in the NHL / AHL), he appeared to be the world's calmest player. Did he fool us or do you have two completely different moods?
- Yes, he cheated a little. It burns quite well in him too, says Lias and laughs.
- On the other hand, he was much better than I am at showing off a "stone face". This is where I also want to reach.
The training is over and 21-year-old Lias Andersson loads the plate full of rag donut and pork, which is today's lunch.
- I think it's fun with food, he says.
- Not in the way that I myself am a particularly good chef, even though I try to get better, but I like to try new dishes and try new restaurants.
We are sitting in the lunch restaurant in HV71's home arena Husqvarna Garden.
It was to Jönköping that Lias Andersson moved as a teenager when he left his parents' home in Kungälv to start hockey high school. And that was where he returned when his time in the New York Rangers came to an abrupt end.
- In HV, I feel safe. Here they know me inside and out. Although home will always be where the family lives, Jönköping feels like my second home.
21-year-old Lias Andersson believes that he ended up in a vicious circle in the USA. Bad mood led to sleep problems and poorer performance on the ice.
21-year-old Lias Andersson believes that he ended up in a vicious circle in the USA. Bad mood led to sleep problems and poorer performance on the ice. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
In his old club, the 21-year-old has been allowed to land softly. Something that was needed after a tough time in New York.
- Because I did not feel good outside the hockey field, I did not get what I wanted on the field at all, says Lias Andersson about the last months in New York.
I no longer even thought it was super fun to play hockey, and then it was time to research myself. Because even though hockey is incredibly important to me, I also want to feel good as a person.
The 21-year-old ended up - as he calls it - in a vicious spiral that made him unable to perform on the ice because he did not feel well outside. And when he could not perform on the ice, it made him feel worse outside.
When it was at its worst, he had difficulty sleeping, which of course made it even harder to play good hockey in the world's best league.
- In the past, I have usually, no matter where I have been, had a fairly large role in the team with the task of delivering and performing. When you feel that you are no longer delivering but start making simple mistakes both in training and in matches that you have never done before, and can barely even cope with the basics like putting a pass right, it's tough.
- Then you start to doubt yourself, and then you are affected both as a player and as a person.
- I no longer even thought it was super fun to play hockey, and then it was time to research myself. Because even though hockey is incredibly important to me, I also want to feel good as a person.
Lias Andersson made his debut for the New York Rangers in March 2018, and became a goal scorer already in the premiere.
Lias Andersson made his debut for the New York Rangers in March 2018, and became a goal scorer already in the premiere. Photo: Kostas Lymperopoulos / TT
For a long time he wrestled with his mind on his own.
- From the beginning, I did not talk to anyone about it, even though both the family and the agents obviously suspected that something was wrong.
- It was like something that was gnawing at my head all the time, but at the same time something that was difficult to explain.
In the middle of it all, Lias was injured, and when he was moved down to Rangers' grandfather team Hartford Wolf Pack in November last year, he did not join the team within the stipulated 24 hours. As a result, Rangers fired him without pay.
Lias had reached a limit when it was no longer possible to remain silent about how he was feeling.
- I am a very impulsive person, and have previously made quite impulsive decisions, so when I said I wanted to go home, the first thought of everyone around me was "now he has something for himself again", says Lias with a smile .
- However, they quickly realized that it was both seriously meant and well thought out, and both family and friends supported me in a fantastic way. Not to mention my agents who did a great job. So I have many to thank for feeling as good as I do today.
Lias continues with a determined voice:
- And I really want to emphasize that I went home had nothing to do with the fact that I did not want to play in the grandfather league. I felt almost worse when I was in the NHL than when I was there.
On Saturday 19 September, Lias Andersson will face his former club Frölunda in the SHL premiere.
On Saturday 19 September, Lias Andersson will face his former club Frölunda in the SHL premiere. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
In the months since you left home, have you regretted your decision?
- No, I have not done that, but I can say that I am sorry that it turned out the way it did. You do not want to put any club or association in the shit.
Back home in Sweden, he had no thoughts of making a comeback on the ice in the near future, but when he got the chance to play for HV71 in January, he felt ready.
With the pandemic, the season was short, already on March 15 it was over.
What would happen this season was a question mark for a long time, but when the New York Rangers agreed to loan him out, Lias knew he wanted to stay in HV.
- When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here, says Lias.
The contract with Rangers expires after this season, and what happens then is not something that Lias wants to talk about. For the first time during our conversation, he is silent for a while before saying:
- Sometimes it feels like many people forget that I am only 21 years old and that I still learn things both as a player and as a person.
- I have realized that it does not work to go around on the ice and think that I should "show myself" to play for a contract next season. Therefore, I have let go of the thoughts of what will happen in the future and focus on doing the best I can this season.
“When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here ”, says Lias Andersson about life in HV71.
“When I had turned everything around, I came to the conclusion that what I need most of all now is continuity in both hockey and everyday life. I get that here ”, says Lias Andersson about life in HV71. Photo: Thomas Karlsson
It's a special SHL season that kicks off on Saturday. The corona virus causes it to start in front of empty stands.
HV71 has a large and loyal home crowd, and the pressure in the arena is high class.
- Usually we get that extra ride from the audience, many times it really feels like we are a player more when the audience takes in. Now it is up to us players to give each other that ride on those days when you are a little unfocused, says Lias.
- So far, I think we have done very well. We are on top of each other in training, and compete against each other.
It is when we talk about the importance of the audience that the conversation takes a new turn and begins to be about football.
Several of the football hallsvenskan's large audience teams have had a difficult season. Among them is Lias Andersson's favorite team IFK Gothenburg.
- The only bright spot this season has been the cup victory.
Should I watch a match on TV, I choose football before hockey. If I watch a hockey match, it is not relaxation in the same way. Then I mostly sit and look at details that I can learn something from.
In an attempt to climb up the table, Gothenburg has, among other things, recruited home Pontus Wernbloom. Something that Lias applauds.
- Wernbloom is one of my favorite players. He also comes from the Kungälv region so I have always had a good eye for him. His energy will be important for the team, says Lias.
- I do not know him as a person but I like that he is straight and honest while he keeps a twinkle in his eye and does not take everything so seriously.
Lias played football himself until he was 13-14 years old.
- I think football is fantastic fun, and if I am going to watch a match on TV, I choose football before hockey, he says.
- If I watch a hockey match, it is not relaxation in the same way. Then I mostly sit and look at details that I can learn something from. However, when I watch a football match, I can only enjoy the game

First honest interview from Lias. Clearly points out to his own personality and lack of maturity needed to properly deal with his issues. I’m sure the Rangers would come along (in letting him go back to Sweden) if Lias opened up this way to the team during his struggles. If communication had started even earlier it might not even come to this extreme outcome.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I've had chronic insomnia since I had my brain aneurysm at 21. I'm very aware of the toll it takes mentally and physically. I've had the days where my hands have shaken and I can't stop. So I'm totally on board with all that. With that said...I'm really more interested in what he's doing to better himself than to rehash his problems. If he spent an article talking about getting therapy or something I'd be happy for him.

(I should have probably clarified, that was a joke based off your username)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sounds like he’s been a hot head his whole life and the red flags were there with the medal toss. Sounds like all the bashing of the organization had as we long suspected nothing to do with the organization and sounds like he’s beating up on SHL minor leaguers in preseason on the powerplay so I’m not holding my breathe it will translate.

this kid needs mental help and if he doesn’t want to get it or keeps denying he’s suffering from anything real like depression or anxiety than there’s nothing the Rangers or anyone else can do. Sounds like for now he’s happy being a big fish is a very tiny pond because his very fragile mental state is insulated there.

Reactions: Inferno and Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad