Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If we’re going to go through this dramatic song and dance every time a kid needs some time to marinate, it’s going to be a long and painful rebuild.

This is going to happen more often than not - a player coming in and needing time to
get to the level people for some reason expected them to just suddenly jump in at.

OTOH, not every prospect is going to be here for the long term. Great, he needs to marinate. But, before you know it, he’s getting pushed down the depth chart. It happened the last time around to the likes of Anisimov and Del Zotto, as well as the likes of Prucha and Dawes. In the end, they aren’t a part of the long-term solution, and become trade assets. This, too, is part of the process. If Andersson gets bypassed by future prospects, so be it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has yet to earn the trust of this coach, and that’s troubling to me.

Namestnikov went through this in the beginning of the season, he took the benching and less ice time to heart, and tried to improve his game and put an extra effort in, and now Quinn gives him opportunities when he is playing very well, and they have built a good relationship now. Andersson still needs to prove himself and he has not been making a very good case to earn Quinn’s trust.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He hasn't been good. But there are twelve games left and he is theoretically one of your top prospects. It makes sense to at least put him in a bigger role for a few games - even if his play hasn't deserved it - and see what happens. Give him a chance to play a few games with Kreider and on the PP rather than having him in an 8 minute/game role. There is really nothing to lose.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Namestnikov went through this in the beginning of the season, he took the benching and less ice time to heart, and tried to improve his game and put an extra effort in, and now Quinn gives him opportunities when he is playing very well, and they have built a good relationship now. Andersson still needs to prove himself and he has not been making a very good case to earn Quinn’s trust.

And you know what? He may never earn Quinn’s trust. People can say patience is needed with Andersson, but, Gorton is adding a lot of assets to the organization. There is going to be major competition for spots in the lineup. You’re going to passed by other players if you’re not up to the challenge. Maybe, it all clicks in for him over the summer, and this discussion ends being moot. But, no one should be taking anything for granted.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Remember when they told us Lias was "The most NHL Ready player in the draft?"

What a f***ing crock that was

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Trying to blame LA's poor play on the quality of his linemates is just excuse making. Think of those poor line-mates who have to produce also, while playing with LA - who so far has been completely ineffective at this level, and not very impressive one level down either. And no skating or explosiveness to his game to give much hope that he will get there once "he figures it out".

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Trying to blame LA's poor play on the quality of his linemates is just excuse making. Think of those poor line-mates who have to produce also, while playing with LA - who so far has been completely ineffective at this level, and not very impressive one level down either. And no skating or explosiveness to his game to give much hope that he will get there once "he figures it out".

I don't really think it's an excuse. It's a fact that his production will not be there if he's playing with poor linemates. That doesn't excuse weak board play and the like but it does excuse bad offensive numbers. Look at guys like Draisaitl/Morgan Rielly. When they aren't out with McDavid/Tavares/Matthews their production falls off a cliff.

Reactions: haveandare

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It was very much thought that the Rangers could immediately replace Stepan with Andersson...

It’s OK to be Disappointed with Lias Andersson For Now

That was the inferences at the time he was drafted

For any other teenaged prospect, little would be made of such a series of events if not for the fact that NHL-readiness — or the appearance of it — was a major factor in why New York opted to select him so high in the first place. The optics of which will only worsen should potential franchise center Casey Mittelstadt pay early dividends for the Buffalo Sabres, who selected him immediately after the Rangers exited the draft stage, Andersson in hand.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm just crazy down on him. I know he isn't getting the chances he needs to, but he is just so underwhelming. At least with Chytil you can see his skill oozing, DeAngelo skates like a ballerina, Pionk has a hard accurate shot, Nieves is quick, energetic, all over the puck...

Andersson has..... well, nothing of note, and that therein lies the problem

Reactions: Inferno

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I dont get what people want him to show when hes playing under 10 minutes a game every night, the last time he actually got a chance with good players (Buch and Lemieux) he looked good

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'm just crazy down on him. I know he isn't getting the chances he needs to, but he is just so underwhelming. At least with Chytil you can see his skill oozing, DeAngelo skates like a ballerina, Pionk has a hard accurate shot, Nieves is quick, energetic, all over the puck...

Andersson has..... well, nothing of note, and that therein lies the problem

He’s certainly not the only 20 year old whom has shown ‘nothing notable’ in the NHL. He knows what he has to work on, Quinn is definitely working with him. Next season I think we’ll see a much more rejuvenated Lias.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It was very much thought that the Rangers could immediately replace Stepan with Andersson...

It’s OK to be Disappointed with Lias Andersson For Now

That was the inferences at the time he was drafted
The NHL readiness angle was adopted by people who just decided Andersson was a terrible pick and needed to put a reason on the Rangers as to why they picked him, the Rangers themselves haven’t done or said anything that they haven’t done or said for any random prospect coming into training camp

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know the standard reply is, 'Of course we all want him to succeed, but I'm just not sold on him', but looking at some of the replies here, yeah, I'm not buying that everyone is really pulling for this kid.

I think there's a good percentage of people who didn't like the pick and would be happier being "right" than they would if Andersson actually become a good draft pick. And something tells me that even if he did turn out to be a good draft pick, there would always be a "yeah, but..." in the comments.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
I know the standard reply is, 'Of course we all want him to succeed, but I'm just not sold on him', but looking at some of the replies here, yeah, I'm not buying that everyone is really pulling for this kid.

I think there's a good percentage of people who didn't like the pick and would be happier being "right" than they would if Andersson actually become a good draft pick. And something tells me that even if he did turn out to be a good draft pick, there would always be a "yeah, but..." in the comments.
People need to eventually need to move past the fact of where he's drafted

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I dont get what people want him to show when hes playing under 10 minutes a game every night, the last time he actually got a chance with good players (Buch and Lemieux) he looked good

None of this is happening in a vacuum. He’s currently vying with other young players, and frankly, he has yet to impress the coach in a manner the other players have. It doesn’t get any easier from here. Adding Lemieux just changed the playing field. The upcoming draft is going to change the equation. If Gorton goes out and trades Kreider for another young forward, there’s another competitor. Again, some young players are going to step forward quicker than others. It could be very easy for him to get overtaken by other prospects. It’s happened before, and it will happen again.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The NHL readiness angle was adopted by people who just decided Andersson was a terrible pick and needed to put a reason on the Rangers as to why they picked him, the Rangers themselves haven’t done or said anything that they haven’t done or said for any random prospect coming into training camp

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I kind of pick and choose what I take from sites like Blueshirt Banter and some of the others out there. In more than a few instances, the same people writing on those sites are basically the average poster on here. The key difference is that they're collecting and sharing their thoughts on a website platform, as opposed to a message board.

And kind of like the old HockeysFuture articles, the level of quality and judgement is not inherently equal across the board. A website can sometimes add the illusion of expertise, when in reality it's written by the same person that no one pays attention to on here.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I’m going to take issue with this, only because I think I’ve made my argument fairly clear. It’s fine to have patience. But, this is a competition. Some players are going to emerge right away, and some are going to be passed on the depth chart. Part of the equation of this rebuild is simple asset accumulation. Maybe next season, Andersson surpasses Howden on the depth chart, and a Howden becomes the trade asset. So be it. Some of these young players are not going to be here when this team is finally ready to contend. If Gorton has done this rebuild correctly, it shouldn’t depend on any one prospect being successful.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
None of this is happening in a vacuum. He’s currently vying with other young players, and frankly, he has yet to impress the coach in a manner the other players have. It doesn’t get any easier from here. Adding Lemieux just changed the playing field. The upcoming draft is going to change the equation. If Gorton goes out and trades Kreider for another young forward, there’s another competitor. Again, some young players are going to step forward quicker than others. It could be very easy for him to get overtaken by other prospects. It’s happened before, and it will happen again.
This is true but what has someone like Howden whose been terrible nearly the entire season done to be given ampul opportunities while someone like Lias has not been given the same chances? I believe both can still be good players but what has Howden done outside of his hot start to deserve all these chances over Lias?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is true but what has someone like Howden whose been terrible nearly the entire season done to be given ampul opportunities while someone like Lias has not been given the same chances? I believe both can still be good players but what has Howden done outside of his hot start to deserve all these chances over Lias?

For whatever metric Quinn is using, Howden has earned his trust and Andersson hasn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad