GBU Levi Flames Out - Loss 4-3 at Home to Calgary 10/19/23

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't see most of the stuff you've all posted about. My 13 year old son told me the "game was choppy."

The league to buttoning up defensively. The league watched Toronto constantly picked apart in the playoffs by physical, defensive teams. McDavid and the Oilers can't make the finals. It's a copycat league, so teams are putting systems into place which give them the best chance of winning.

Teams like Buffalo are built to score. It's not going to be an overnight transition. I am not surprised at all by the early season struggle.

And if Levi didn't let in the soft 4th goal, I think the Sabres win.
I disagree that they are built to score. They are built to be a finesse team that relies on taking their chances on a PP. They had 5 guys score about 61% of their goals last season.

Sure they had one really good season of offensive output, but for as much they scored last year, they are weak at shooting, weak at getting shots on net, don't push the puck to the higher danger areas often enough to be considered a team built to score. They are a slow puck moving team. They don't have great point shot creators. They don't attack the middle of the ice enough to produce chances.

They are more of a team that will capitalize on mistakes, than a team that does the work necessary to be a consistent offensive production team. The more teams realize that they need to control the neutral zone, the more likely it is Buffalo will struggle against them.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
You're right that it's only game 4 and we shouldn't be overreacting, as there are 78 games to turn this around.

BUT... this is the same thing we were saying in the pre-season.

"It's the pre-season, the games don't count, they'll get it together by game 1. Stop overreacting! "

Then game 1 came.

"it's just game 1 guys, no need to panic. 81 games to turn this around. Stop overreacting!"

Then game 2, 3, 4...

I've got a bad feeling that, "it's only the xth game, stop overreacting", is going to turn into, "it's only the beginning of November, stop overreacting" and then before we know it, it's April and we're in position to draft 8th overall again.

We absolutely can still turn it around. But it's something we haven't seen in 12 years.
I understand your point. Speaking personally, if they have a losing record by the end of the first week of november, then i am not going to delude myself. If we are close to or over .500, then i'll be content. I think the encouraging sign is that areas of the team's game is improving. i just want to see them piece it all together.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I disagree that they are built to score. They are built to be a finesse team that relies on taking their chances on a PP. They had 5 guys score about 61% of their goals last season.

Sure they had one really good season of offensive output, but for as much they scored last year, they are weak at shooting, weak at getting shots on net, don't push the puck to the higher danger areas often enough to be considered a team built to score. They are a slow puck moving team. They don't have great point shot creators. They don't attack the middle of the ice enough to produce chances.

They are more of a team that will capitalize on mistakes, than a team that does the work necessary to be a consistent offensive production team. The more teams realize that they need to control the neutral zone, the more likely it is Buffalo will struggle against them.
Last year they were a team that scored off the rush and on the PP. That is why some teams were able to shut them down with certain defensive strategies.

They were really good at it, so I hope they find a way to continue to score off the rush without leaking a million high danger chances against.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Some of the stuff you wrote just isn't true. The team scored 293 goals last season, 3rd highest in the league. 63 were PP goals, tied for 8th. Edmonton scored 325 goals (1st) with 89 on the power play (1st). So that doesn't play out. The Sabres are a scoring team that isn't as reliant on the power play as you're arguing.

The Sabres had the 6th highest shooting percentage last season. They don't get to the net as much as we'd like, sure. and while they were high in xGF they were 24th in HDF%. But a slow moving team? That's not even close to true, nor could you even make a rationale argument to show that the youngest team in the league is slow moving.

Your last statement is true. The Sabres are a young team that struggles in choppy games and where teams take away the neutral zone. That'll come with time. It's part of having a young team.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
It's just an honest assessment of where the team is currently. Things can change .. but we're here now.
A little bit less honest and more objective would do, I could do without the world is ending after 4 games statements.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You're right that it's only game 4 and we shouldn't be overreacting, as there are 78 games to turn this around.

"It's the pre-season, the games don't count, they'll get it together by game 1. Stop overreacting! "

Then game 1 came.

"it's just game 1 guys, no need to panic. 81 games to turn this around. Stop overreacting!"

Then game 2, 3, 4...

I've got a bad feeling that, "it's only the xth game, stop overreacting", is going to turn into, "it's only the beginning of November, stop overreacting" and then before we know it, it's April and we're in position to draft 8th overall again.

We absolutely can still turn it around. But it's something we haven't seen in 12 years.
The vast majority of the board has expressed that they are not happy/worried. Look at the last 10 pages or so of the gdt. The amount of people expressing worry hugely outweighs the amount of people saying "it's only game 4, relax"

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
It’s not even about whether it went in or not. It’s that it was right after another goal, and it was like he was completely zonked out or not paying attention. And it was also after a couple of other plays that made you think “woah he is not fully here tonight”. And after that play, the entire team felt it. It was like they were spooked, and the flames smelled blood and just dominated the course of play for the next 5 minutes before they settled down. Its a miracle they didn’t score again in that spurt, but it changed the entire feel of the game.

I just meant I didn’t even see the play in question at all.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
A little bit less honest and more objective would do, I could do without the world is ending after 4 games statements.
This is sports..of course the world isn't ending. After 4 games it is both honest and objective to say the team is ass.

The fun will be when they start clicking and get our hopes up again

Reactions: joshjull

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
The arena is awful, the gameday experience is even worse and the home team loses more often than not.

Pegulas -> hockey

Dan Snyder -> football
Maybe so. Its up to you and whoever goes to make the crowd as you see fit.

Staying loud and with the team when they are down . ( the new fickle rich phone crowd quits on the team and ruins your game day experience). You and You and You manifest faith and This Team , Donny and KA Pegula HAS EARNED your/our Faith w every move and Donnys team. Don't push them away now w the old tired buffalo , they haven't given us a team bs. The arena is a mildly sound black hole that needs a near sell out w committed Real Fans that don't, scoff and give up the first sign of adversity .
I'm trying not to sound like a dick . I'm not able to be there. I just hope thete are guys that believe like young Alex Tuch . I may not be there now but many believed no matter what , could care less that slogans can dilute that REAL feeling .
Sabremike. You are one of the die hard core believers of this current iteration I believe in your commitment . Since you are partly responsible for never giving up on Tage ( no good hockey player is named Tage. Boy was i wrong you Donny and very few others hung on and never waived exposed one of the top ten guys in the league whose father was Quite the fighter ( We all give our energy taking it seriously watching a live feed ( if u can find one not delayed and refresh alot.
You Matter !

Your caring and belief Matters.
The arena is awful, the gameday experience is even worse and the home team loses more often than not.

Pegulas -> hockey

Dan Snyder -> football
Hang In Sabremike. Make lemonade if you can. It blew in 99 at gamw 3 ? Of cup finals. The wrong entitled crowd was there We were IN the Stanley Cup finals and these pricks actually expected an easy game and no matter how much my obnoxious ass tried to be positive . The life was sucked out and these tools seemed like they weren't paying attention and they lost3 1 ? Ill look it up. Totally my fault as well. High on dope , i lost my connection w the team and the crowd , i was wrong to attend such an important game w a frequency and mindset not in line w the crowd, so I couldn't reach them inside my arrogant wall. I have to take personal blame for my part in that debacle.

Sabremike. You Matter

Your belief is infectious. They need you dont have regret like me.

I was at sabre 6 five 5 comback in oranges against bruins down 4 or 5. Tough recall. I was there ar the houston game w three other friends drove from RIT as Bills lost to Houston the week before w no Kelly. We had to humbly sit on the Duck Houston shirt i got and put on under my coat. From . The parking lot on way in and we all had to sit on the cockey non family shirt , humbled but determined we obviously stayed and after all of us w shirt under us and trying to get people not go as all who stayed could feel it like a doses humble request from our end zone seats ( every score in or face , after Reich i nterception to open the third to make it 35 to 3. ( they stole both Dallas sb )

You matter Sabremike . we all need you and your friends to help those that go . They will feed off your belief. The pegulas finally got it right. Never perfect maybe names spelled right But These two Buffalo teams will need outside intervention to fail they are both talented and honorable. I'd love to be there.

Hang in , the sabres will win a few in a row as right now they are trying two hard ( im looking at you Whitehorse,probably Clifton too trying to impress )

The arena always needa to be overcome, like the NYC zebras , those teams and the idiots clickmedia that skinner targeted. I'm with w you w a live feed whenever i can ( most games this year)

Skinner may end up w the coolest career path elevating as now a Great passer w Tuch and Thompson. Don't worry we all protect the 23 and under kids w the love they deserve and we'll be fine w hopefully 18k w 10k Sabremike sabreheads. Helping out newbies w kindness.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018

Then game 1 came.

Then game 2, 3, 4...

I see this. But can I interject?

Call it the mitts thompson analytical cautionary effect that on purpose or learned behavior.

It's better to play full speed and be aware of the scummy axe chopping galagher pietrangelo types ruining entire seasons and have your head swiveling essentially playing ( at worst ) an 80
Game season and have a ten to twnty game mattias , team crushing wrestling move in preseason and hopefully they are achieving the chemistry and awareness that slows the game to jump off ( once ready into the groove of the 5 and two stretch when levi hopped on our non cia bus.

Im seeing enough signs the regulars in the first two games of 80 game sessions ( 1and 1 ) that 3 lines are going to be able to impose their will upon most of the nhl/wwe .

I'm here for free counseling until nov 4 , then i have automated Reply that says kick out pesky passengers that cause all disease w fasting , enemas and anti helminth meds ( ivermectin and chloquinine from the trump beginners collection and then med of month club to look like 70s beach pic goggles search w albedazole and fenvendazole to kill pesky cancer, i mean parasites ( one of 148 human parasites and the christmas free thousand dollar gift. ( no shiv , should cost 50 bucks until douche bought patent now over 1000 dollars to kill cat group mind toxoplasmosis , cause most depression , skin issues ,glasses some dental and all schizophrenia and I'm guessin Syd Barrett. Hey you dont help them ( cia mi6) to bury the light , don't be Syd take the meds and remember the voices but don't live w them for 40 years.
Don't give in without a fight.

I bet you open yrself up w lysergic and these scum prob put toxoplasmosis in the brown doses to destroy those and all who had saliva contact ( microscopic in hoof gel tab miggt have hidden parasites like toxoplasmosis aa acid opens door for them to enter. Gray hair early may be tell

I could see them going after all young men and woman that didnt go get their shots to then kill in the name of the Fed and Reserve world banks in the British Dutch east india company who owns us or so they actually think. Jokes in Star Trek 2 kahns pets , many people everywhere on phones as towers transmit frequency that makes parasites hooked to your cerebral cortex replicate much more quickly and like invasion of body snatcher's 78 ( dead banjo poster) passed to each other psychotically in a joke in scale pods are microscopic and passed saliva I don't think seminal fluid anyway

Yes this is an answer to all heath issues. Pass it on only after you research google goggles is designed to make not ever see the cadeusis as all rockefeller meds protect the parasites and only offer cures to the 148 plus types of symptoms like.

Tah dah ! Not believing the sabres are going to kick ass and win 49 more games so my above automated response won't be necessary
Go sabres good luck

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
It's odd to me that a leader would hire and maintain an expert in a particular area, and then not rely on his/her advice. Wasn't that the lesson of the Murray/Botterill eras?

I've been a leader continuously for 24 years, and I listen to my experts a lot. It seems odd to me that anyone would think working the other way has value long-term.

I don't see most of the stuff you've all posted about. My 13 year old son told me the "game was choppy."

The league to buttoning up defensively. The league watched Toronto constantly picked apart in the playoffs by physical, defensive teams. McDavid and the Oilers can't make the finals. It's a copycat league, so teams are putting systems into place which give them the best chance of winning.

Teams like Buffalo are built to score. It's not going to be an overnight transition. I am not surprised at all by the early season struggle.

And if Levi didn't let in the soft 4th goal, I think the Sabres win.
The oilers didn't win the cup becaus The league didn't suspend eddie mckraken scum alex pietrangelo for actually axe chopping draisaitl after the play. That should be a lifetime ban for assault w a deadly weapon and oilers final. Vegas mark stone should be ten game suspension for repeated slew foot intent to injure and should get a two by four across his legs or face upon entry to any arena and if he wants to continue w hockey that's cool. If anybody copcats that they are idiots and league is already a joke. Both cowards wear face shoelds so when rollerball comes around they are protected Unreal

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I see this. But can I interject?

Call it the mitts thompson analytical cautionary effect that on purpose or learned behavior.

It's better to play full speed and be aware of the scummy axe chopping galagher pietrangelo types ruining entire seasons and have your head swiveling essentially playing ( at worst ) an 80
Game season and have a ten to twnty game mattias , team crushing wrestling move in preseason and hopefully they are achieving the chemistry and awareness that slows the game to jump off ( once ready into the groove of the 5 and two stretch when levi hopped on our non cia bus.

Im seeing enough signs the regulars in the first two games of 80 game sessions ( 1and 1 ) that 3 lines are going to be able to impose their will upon most of the nhl/wwe .

I'm here for free counseling until nov 4 , then i have automated Reply that says kick out pesky passengers that cause all disease w fasting , enemas and anti helminth meds ( ivermectin and chloquinine from the trump beginners collection and then med of month club to look like 70s beach pic goggles search w albedazole and fenvendazole to kill pesky cancer, i mean parasites ( one of 148 human parasites and the christmas free thousand dollar gift. ( no shiv , should cost 50 bucks until douche bought patent now over 1000 dollars to kill cat group mind toxoplasmosis , cause most depression , skin issues ,glasses some dental and all schizophrenia and I'm guessin Syd Barrett. Hey you dont help them ( cia mi6) to bury the light , don't be Syd take the meds and remember the voices but don't live w them for 40 years.
Don't give in without a fight.

I bet you open yrself up w lysergic and these scum prob put toxoplasmosis in the brown doses to destroy those and all who had saliva contact ( microscopic in hoof gel tab miggt have hidden parasites like toxoplasmosis aa acid opens door for them to enter. Gray hair early may be tell

I could see them going after all young men and woman that didnt go get their shots to then kill in the name of the Fed and Reserve world banks in the British Dutch east india company who owns us or so they actually think. Jokes in Star Trek 2 kahns pets , many people everywhere on phones as towers transmit frequency that makes parasites hooked to your cerebral cortex replicate much more quickly and like invasion of body snatcher's 78 ( dead banjo poster) passed to each other psychotically in a joke in scale pods are microscopic and passed saliva I don't think seminal fluid anyway

Yes this is an answer to all heath issues. Pass it on only after you research google goggles is designed to make not ever see the cadeusis as all rockefeller meds protect the parasites and only offer cures to the 148 plus types of symptoms like.

Tah dah ! Not believing the sabres are going to kick ass and win 49 more games so my above automated response won't be necessary
Go sabres good luck
Lmao what? You realize this is a hockey forum.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Apparently liquid nembutal is your choice here aa it's very pleasant ( a personal favorite) . Much better than trudging 20 floors for egg certainty . Wow.

The water is safe these takes hopefully look funny by mid November.
My thought process on the teams future has more to do with ticket prices than team performance. I'm not sure Buffalo will be able to support a hockey team at some point in future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad