Level of players in these Olympics

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I like the Bill Murray Olympics rule. Have an average guy compete for reference. I’ve played with a couple of former AHL players at random points and seeing the talent level needed to reach just that level up close is really amazing.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
if shl, khl, liiga, nla is bad, then all soccer leagues outside of pl, la liga and bundesliga sucks too....thats the logic some people use ...

only because nhl is better it does not mean the quality of top euro leagues is bad..

heck, in the 70s and 80s, cska moskva was better than any nhl-club...

Comparing football/soccer to hockey is a bad comparison due to the size differential and popularity of the sports.

As for comparing the the Red Army team to NHLs best from that time doesn't really work. We don't actually have real examples of this to give a concrete answer. Exhibition games count for very little. Plus you seem to be writing off the late 70s Habs, the early 80s Isles and the 80s Oilers. All of those teams were dynasty level teams.

This is coming from somebody who attended Super Series games.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
What I find confusing is the people who say they'll refuse to watch Olympic mens hockey cause of the quality but watch the womens games just fine. All due respect to the women athletes, they would get killed by any of these mens teams. The Canadian womens team regularly competes against boys midget teams in lead up to competitions.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

I'm one of those guys who will always defend the KHL, SHL, NLA, etc. when it comes to these kind of discussions, but this is a poor argument.

Firstly, CSKA was certainly better than some (possibly even many) NHL clubs at the time, but I'd still take the top level Habs, Islanders, Oilers over them in a season or series.

Secondly, as we all know, the political, economic, and cultural atmosphere was completely different back then. If the NHL had been an option for top easter bloc players in those days, one can safely assume that the Kharlamovs, Makarovs, Tretiaks, etc. would have likely suited up for NHL clubs (as was the case post-1990). With few exceptions, history has shown us that in the modern era the world's best players gravitate to north american teams.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
if shl, khl, liiga, nla is bad, then all soccer leagues outside of pl, la liga and bundesliga sucks too....thats the logic some people use ...

only because nhl is better it does not mean the quality of top euro leagues is bad..

And the funny thing is, posters on here constantly hype CHL and NCAA players, or young players in the AHL. A bunch of players on these rosters, including Canada's and USA's, were highly touted prospects. Now people act as if they are terrible, when in fact nearly all of them are better now compared to when they were 18 or 19. Bob Sanguinetti, Ryan Stoa, Jon Blum, Stefan Elliott, Gilbert Brule etc. I remember Ducks fans freaking out over Eric O'Dell being traded to Atlanta for Erik Christensen.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98 and Jon Riley

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
And the funny thing is, posters on here constantly hype CHL and NCAA players, or young players in the AHL. A bunch of players on these rosters, including Canada's and USA's, were highly touted prospects. Now people act as if they are terrible, when in fact nearly all of them are better now compared to when they were 18 or 19. Bob Sanguinetti, Ryan Stoa, Jon Blum, Stefan Elliott, Gilbert Brule etc. I remember Ducks fans freaking about Eric O'Dell being traded to Atlanta for Erik Christensen.
People are just obsessed with youth

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I'm lost, what do they mean? I think this observation on the cameraman maybe too stupid for me to even understand

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm lost, what do they mean? I think this observation on the cameraman maybe too stupid for me to even understand

They thought they saw a cameraman on the ice and think that’s how the film the game. Skating around with a camera. I can only assume theg saw a ref and assumed it’s a cameraman.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I like the Bill Murray Olympics rule. Have an average guy compete for reference. I’ve played with a couple of former AHL players at random points and seeing the talent level needed to reach just that level up close is really amazing.
Like 10 years ago, in my summer beer league game, an ECHLer came out. He was a winger, but was playing defense in our game. The guy was skating circles around everyone

You can only imagine how good NHLers really are when this ECHLer was putting on a clinic with us

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
And the funny thing is, posters on here constantly hype CHL and NCAA players, or young players in the AHL. A bunch of players on these rosters, including Canada's and USA's, were highly touted prospects. Now people act as if they are terrible, when in fact nearly all of them are better now compared to when they were 18 or 19. Bob Sanguinetti, Ryan Stoa, Jon Blum, Stefan Elliott, Gilbert Brule etc. I remember Ducks fans freaking out over Eric O'Dell being traded to Atlanta for Erik Christensen.

It's no different than when Canada's World Junior team plays tune-up games against an All-Star CIS team made up of players aged 20-25 (most of whom are ex-CHL players). Before they play everyone says that the Canadian team will destroy them. After Canada loses everyone says that Canada should be "embarrassed" to lose to a bunch of scrubs

Reactions: JBeast and Elvs

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Sure, the talent level in the Olympics is "elite" on a global scale compared to Joe Schmoes.. The guys aren't scrubs. However, these Olympics suck. The mystique is completely gone. In America, there's practically no mainstream media or fan interest this year. I'm sure it's different in Europe, and probably Canada. Here, nobody has a clue or cares tbh. My issue is, I don't like how it's a mashup of the amateurs and pros who just happen to be eligible. Instead of taking the absolute best, even if only at amateur level (boxing), it's a mix and match of guys good enough to play who don't happen to be under contract with the NHL. The Olympics are supposed to be about premiere and elite competition, and this is anything but. I used to treat the Olympics as a bonus Stanley Cup Playoff, and watch every game I could. It was just awesome. Not this year though, I just can't get into it.

Reactions: Elvs

sailshe

Feb 8, 2016
Chelyabinsk
I'd say that the level of these Oiympics is different in comparison with the NHL but i can't say that it's worse.Little players skate more on the large rinks.For example, Brian Rafalsky'd played for a long time in Europe before he became an NHL star . There've been a lot of good players like Rafalsky so far in Europe.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
People have unrealistic expectations of what this tournament should be. With zero NHL'ers, the rosters are significantly weaker compared to the World Championships. If you realize that before going in, it's easier to enjoy.

I don't watch these games to watch pretty goals. I watch for the competition. Most of these players might never get another shot at a medal, which means they are gonna leave it all out there. That's more entertaining to me than watching Connor McDavid play meaningless regular season games for a team that isn't going anywhere.

It's the same thing when I watch the NHL. If my favourite team isn't playing, I'll zap between the channels and stay where teams are competing the most. I'd rather watch Arizona-Buffalo giving 100% in a hard-fought battle, than a float-fest between Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
What I find confusing is the people who say they'll refuse to watch Olympic mens hockey cause of the quality but watch the womens games just fine. All due respect to the women athletes, they would get killed by any of these mens teams. The Canadian womens team regularly competes against boys midget teams in lead up to competitions.

You're right, women are slower and weaker so we shouldn't bother watching any sport they're in because they're physically inferior. :sarcasm:

The quality of the WOMEN are the best of the best in the sport right now, the same can't be said on the men's side they're like C level instead of A or even B. Would they get crushed by every men's team out there? Yeah but they're not men..if people can't understand that then idk what to say. Whichever country wins the gold in men's hockey is automatically getting an asterisk from just about everyone who watches the sport, kind of takes most of the fun out of it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So there's no truth to the old assertions that Team Canada doesn't need the NHL to be good?

Considering this team canada still has a chance to get a bye into the quarters with a win versus north korea and a loss by the czechs versus the swiss.

Yes it could still be said that team canada doesn't need the nhl to still be good.

This tournament is proving pretty badly though that team usa needs the nhl to be even slightly competitive.

Reactions: bert

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Considering this team canada still has a chance to get a bye into the quarters with a win versus north korea and a loss by the czechs versus the swiss.

Yes it could still be said that team canada doesn't need the nhl to still be good.

This tournament is proving pretty badly though that team usa needs the nhl to be even slightly competitive.

USA have good players in Europe, they probably didn't put enough effort into scouting them though. Ryan Lasch would look great on their team, leads the SHL in scoring.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
USA have good players in Europe, they probably didn't put enough effort into scouting them though. Ryan Lasch would look great on their team, leads the SHL in scoring.

Not to pour to much on, but thats not to shocking to think of about the scouting. They don't even do that good of that when it is nhl players lol.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Not to pour to much on, but thats not to shocking to think of about the scouting. They don't even do that good of that when it is nhl players lol.

They would have left off Phil Kessel this year even if they allowed NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad