Let's Watch... (1966/4/14) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In the new installment of this feature we watch Game 4 of the 1966 Stanley Cup Semifinals between Tornoto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.

Previous editions:
(1960/4/7) Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs
(1963/4/18) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Detroit Red Wings
(1963/12/7) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Chicago Black Hawks
(1965/4/1) Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs

A little reminder of the objective of this project:
The point is that many pairs of eyes see more than one pair. We got people of various backgrounds, some really knowledgable about this subject, others have extensively researched that topic, and others are really good at evaluating players and tactics. The purpose (...) is to channel and focus the attention and the knowledge of the community on one specific game and learn from the debate about it.
Looking forward to your comments and observations!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Montreal Canadiens:

Head coach: Toe Blake

Gilles Tremblay (21) – Jean Béliveau (4) – Claude Provost (14)
Dick Duff (8) – Ralph Backstrom (6) – Bobby Rousseau (15)
John Ferguson (22) – Dave Balon (20) – Claude Larose (11)
Yvon Cournoyer (12)

Ted Harris (3) – Jean-Claude Tremblay (10)
Jean-Guy Talbot (17) – Terry Harper (19)
Jim Roberts, Noel Price

Gump Worsley (30)

Toronto Maple Leafs:

Head coach: Punch Imlach

Bob Pulford (20) – Red Kelly (4) – Ron Ellis (8)
Frank Mahovlich (27) – Dave Keon (14) – George Armstrong (10)
Orland Kurtenbach (20) – Pete Stemkowski (12) – Eddie Shack (23)
Brit Selby (11), Wally Boyer (15)

Marcel Pronovost (3) – Larry Hillman (16)
Tim Horton (7) – Bob Baun (21)
Kent Douglas (19)

Johnny Bower (1)

For reference:
Boxscore
Game coverage

Reactions: Killion

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Very interesting.Provides more insight into Toe Blake's PK strategies and his use of players' diversity - Dave Balon,LW to replace a slightly injured Henri Richard at center.

Also the second period intermission interview with Frank J. Selke Sr providesinsight into the 1945 semi-final series between the Canadiens and Leafs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I watched the game once and will probably do so again. I must say that Montreal's skating advantage is pretty evident. Beliveau gives you pretty much everything you realistically want out of your top centre, and to single out a much less heralded player Harper has a quality game here.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'm blown away by Beliveau each and every time I see him. Since I started being a HoH regular and being a student of the game (as opposed to knowing only the myths and "popular" opinions of hockey history) Beliveau is the player that has stood out the most and I've been the most in awe of...he's the guy I always pimp for the #5 spot of all time...it seems like few players in history personify the game, in its entirety, as well Beliveau can...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm blown away by Beliveau each and every time I see him. Since I started being a HoH regular and being a student of the game (as opposed to knowing only the myths and "popular" opinions of hockey history) Beliveau is the player that has stood out the most and I've been the most in awe of...he's the guy I always pimp for the #5 spot of all time...it seems like few players in history personify the game, in its entirety, as well Beliveau can...

Every so often we hear phrases like "that's what you want from you'r #1C" or something similar. Beliveau fits the bill in those phrases on the nose. I kind of dislike these vague wordings like "complete" but that's the word that comes to mind with him. Complete player. He's been my go-to guy for #5 for a while now. As much as I like scoring wingers (Bobby Hull used to be my #5) I can't help but to slot Beliveau at #5.

Derekhanna89

Jul 1, 2018
Best part about Beliveau? The guy is the nicest guy...ever. My grandma was friends with him (he lived on the south shore), offered to bring me and my sister to a habs-leafs game in montreal when I was 17, best moment of my life. Still wore my leafs jersey, though. My sister got her habs jersey signed by kovalev, koivu, etc. And it blew me away, how nice and funny him and his wife were.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00