Lets talk tanking

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
ok I admit I'm older than most here mid 40's and at times its hard to understand our fan base on this forum.Can someone explain to me how some started talking tank the season after game 6 or 7? The facts are we started on a brutal road trip with a new coach and a new system with several key injuries.Is it just the younger generation way of thinking? There is a wise old saying..The cream always rises to the top..Think about it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Okay we get it, some people here have a hard time with their emotions. Does this really need a new thread?

This happens here every year. Every single year. Can we all stop trying to be the most right on a message board all the time?

arunnair87

Aug 12, 2009
But does 7 games make a season? Don't people take into consideration injuries new coach ect...??

The problem is you're trying to use logic to understand HFBoards. Here, a better frame of reference is mob mentality.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Because people are overreactive to what they're seeing at the present moment.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I am not trying to be the most right at all..Just don't understand why people turn and give up so fast? Its a marathon not a sprint...Mods if responses get snippy lock it..It was just a simple question on a night off

Okay we get it, some people here have a hard time with their emotions. Does this really need a new thread?

This happens here every year. Every single year. Can we all stop trying to be the most right on a message board all the time?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Although premature overreaction runs rampant here, there is more to the tank talk than that. People, rightly, point to the lack of a homegrown superstar forward (or two) and compare that to teams that have recently had success and get worried. The Rangers are a good team but not a great one, let's not overreact in the opposite direction after this recent good stretch.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Why would I browse the internet if I'm not gonna be right about everything? pls

I made a Suck Bad 4 Ekblad avatar after like 3 games so I shouldn't really talk, hah. Wasn't serious though.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Because all those posters, many of which were new to the forum, haven't yet realized nobody wants to hear them ***** and complain and make absurd statements about a team riddled with injuries 10 games into a season, all the while with a new coach and system.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
HF Boards remind of the stock market. It's driven by 2 forces. Fear and greed. When things are not going well, look out below. When things are going well, the sky's the limit. There is no logic.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
HF Boards remind of the stock market. It's driven by 2 forces. Fear and greed. When things are not going well, look out below. When things are going well, the sky's the limit. There is no logic.

Especially the trade threads. "Sell!" .... "Buy!"

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Was it premature? Well, obviously.

But to be honest in regards to tanking I don't see why people think it is such an absurd idea. This team, as constructed, will most likely make the playoffs (assuming Nash returns relatively soon). But what are they going to do there? Get knocked out in the first or second round?

I don't see this team having the scoring talent to go up against Chicago/LA /Boston, or Pittsburgh over 7 games. I don't see the Rangers as being *very* close to a cup. Last year was such a wasted opportunity. Imagine if Richards and Gabby were playing at the top of their game...

I hope tanking isn't the answer, but this team needs more raw talent. If it isn't going to be drafted there needs to be a trade for a legitimate goal scorer who will be here and who is young.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Was it premature? Well, obviously.

But to be honest in regards to tanking I don't see why people think it is such an absurd idea. This team, as constructed, will most likely make the playoffs (assuming Nash returns relatively soon). But what are they going to do there? Get knocked out in the first or second round?

I don't see this team having the scoring talent to go up against Chicago/LA /Boston, or Pittsburgh over 7 games. I don't see the Rangers as being *very* close to a cup. Last year was such a wasted opportunity. Imagine if Richards and Gabby were playing at the top of their game...

I hope tanking isn't the answer, but this team needs more raw talent. If it isn't going to be drafted there needs to be a trade for a legitimate goal scorer who will be here and who is young.

We had no depth last year. That's one part that people that complain about the Nash trade get right. That team was going nowhere.

Also, LA and Boston, don't have the high end talent either.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't get why people still find a need to state this team ain't doing **** 16 games in. It's like people were saying there's no way the Rangers get a good PP, not enough talent, there's no way that the Rangers can play anything that's not a Torts dump and chase, not enough talent. Turns out both of those things may be wrong (still early). We don't know how good or bad this team can be, it's 16 games.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Why would I browse the internet if I'm not gonna be right about everything? pls

I made a Suck Bad 4 Ekblad avatar after like 3 games so I shouldn't really talk, hah. Wasn't serious though.

aofhobon, pls

I believe the 2009 or 2010 season people had tank avatars at one point, a significant number of them. :D

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
If we tanked and traded Henrik AFTER we sign him to a long term deal, do you think we can load up on prospects, picks and get McDavid and win a lot of cups? Lewt's do it guys.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If we tanked and traded Henrik AFTER we sign him to a long term deal, do you think we can load up on prospects, picks and get McDavid and win a lot of cups? Lewt's do it guys.

Can you promise me right now they are gonna win a lot of Cups? If not I am not investing my emotions in to this.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
People flipping out and screaming "tank!" are no more annoying than the people who come out and say, "Where are all the doom and gloomers now?" When we win a game.

We're all ****ing annoying.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Not being a smartass but I don't think the OP realizes he is doing the exact same thing as those he is complaining about, just in a positive way instead of negative.

Its nice to follow up 2-6 with 6-2, though.

mti79

May 11, 2007
we should just pack it in. Not only didn't we win tonight, we didn't even score a goal. fire everyone!

oh, we didn't play? hmm, just get rid of Dorsett then.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The problem is you're trying to use logic to understand HFBoards. Here, a better frame of reference is mob mentality.

It has nothing to do with HFBoards, NY fans in general are totally irrational when it comes to sports. NY fans are all about the flashy move, the big trade, the crazy move, whether it be fire a coach for 7 bad games or trading half our core for a player like Yakupov when the team is finally starting to gel and play well.

That's why I have trouble talking to many NY sports fans, because they are totally irrational and don't seem to have the capability to put anything into perspective when it comes to sports and their teams. I've just gotten used to it and don't make a big deal out of it, because it'll never change, and it doesn't matter where you converse with NY sports fans, they're the same people wherever you talk.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
ok I admit I'm older than most here mid 40's and at times its hard to understand our fan base on this forum.Can someone explain to me how some started talking tank the season after game 6 or 7? The facts are we started on a brutal road trip with a new coach and a new system with several key injuries.Is it just the younger generation way of thinking? There is a wise old saying..The cream always rises to the top..Think about it.

It's basic human psychology. There are other things sure like the evolution of technology and it's role in instant gratification becoming so prevalent in society. The declining family structure which gives rise to selfishness and demanding unreasonable individual satisfaction. These are all things which decrease an individuals ability to appreciate things and to instead demand more while doing nothing to achieve more. This manifests even more so in sports because we have no control over sports and because they are really inconsequential so our selfishness and unreasonable demands have no real harmful effects. People can live out power fantasies and pretend that they are dictating how the men on the screen and behind the front office desks should do their jobs

But this post seems to have certain delusions that people haven't been making these same exact demands of sports teams for decades which they have. How many guys woke up ion a monday to discuss why "this team will never win with Randall Cunningham" or "Buddy Ryan is too much of a hot head so the team should fire him and trade half the D". Same games, different names. People made these demands over life and death gladiatorial battles centuries ago. When you look at it in that scope it kinda seems lame to complain about nerds raging on the net. But then again just because we used to be worse this does not mean that we should stop trying to be better. But there is certainly a catharsis you get when you ream out a team for not doing well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad