Post-Game Talk: Let's Talk Domingue aka The Dominator

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Vancouver pissed off both goalies and they lost Schneider and Luongo.

We don't want to go down that path.

You can't have the former #1 as the backup...it never works out in sports history.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

You can't have the former #1 as the backup...it never works out in sports history.

Vancouver screwed up by trading away 2 very good goal tenders. Smith never was Luongo as a goalie, not even close, had one great year. He'll be fine as a back up and there is no market for Smith with his contract. We don't need to buy him out because he might pout.

Feb 12, 2003
Lets say LD is our starter next year. We would still want/need a veteran back up goalie. If we buy out Smith, the cost of a decent back up might be equal to the difference between a buy out and Smith's contract. If thats the case, I think Smith is a good back up goalie for the same total dollars we would pay to but him out and sign somebody decent. I don't see us going with 2 goalies under 25 either.

Great point and probably the most likely reason we won't see Smith with a buyout. It likely doesn't make financial sense plus you have the added bonus of a hungry Smith fighting for his job in case LD falters. I've watched enough over the years to see so many great young goalies that don't last because they have a weakness in their game that gets exposed the more teams play them. Especially if they make the playoffs there tends to be a spotlight shined on them and their game is picked apart. The truly great goalies get past that, so lets hope Lou has some longevity.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

I don't think it's black and white. Detroit, for example, has benched an expensive Jimmy Howard in favor of Petr Mrazek.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Put it this way...I have serious doubts about Mike Smith's ability to be a backup. I think he would make it difficult and not be a good team mate.

Therefore getting rid of him is the best thing for the Coyotes.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Put it this way...I have serious doubts about Mike Smith's ability to be a backup. I think he would make it difficult and not be a good team mate.

Therefore getting rid of him is the best thing for the Coyotes.

Hard to say. I feel like one thing that has hurt our goalies over the years was when Burke started to become less involved over the years. It was easy to sit either for a game or two, go over what was bothering them or needed improvements on, and then work with them. With Smith's goalie coach in Toronto, he isn't with the team at most/all times.

Also makes me wonder if Burke instructed the goalies to play somewhat differently with the defense that was in place. I remember both Bryzgalov and Smith stating that they were playing deeper in net than prior years, especially on pucks towards the sides of the net. Maybe that fit perfectly with coaching philosophy from Samuelsson, and as we have moved on, there has been less mentioned about syncing goalie to defense or vice versa.

As for the good teammate thing, unless contractually obligated, he did answer phones on his own time for the telethon. If a report came out that was contrary (i.e. asked to participate, but declined), then I would say that he is not endearing himself to any part of the organization.

Almost certain that if an expansion draft rolls around, we could make him available and offer a mid-round pick for him to get taken. Maybe a 3rd rounder. Starting goalies (even at a high price tag) are still needed by an expansion team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Smith is even more attractive in an expansion draft as those teams will need to hit the cap floor (even a potentially lower floor for an expansion team).

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
fd8b0fc243557a7f5e485ff6ceadd95d.jpg

CZdVc4_UMAA9f0z.jpg

Who wouldn't want a goalie, pizza delivery guy, and a telethon operator all wrapped into one mental package until 2019?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
fd8b0fc243557a7f5e485ff6ceadd95d.jpg

CZdVc4_UMAA9f0z.jpg

Who wouldn't want a goalie, pizza delivery guy, and a telethon operator all wrapped into one mental package until 2019?

You have to give smith credit for working the phones. How many pro athletes would think they are too good to jump in and help? Good for him, pretty good guy to do it.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I couldn't imagine getting Smith on the line if I were calling in to donate; it would be a pretty cool experience for a fan (despite his long contract and inconsistency). Props for manning the phones, but we (fans) can still have our fun (the team's paying him enough).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You have to give smith credit for working the phones. How many pro athletes would think they are too good to jump in and help? Good for him, pretty good guy to do it.

Come on now. Players do this all the time. If it's for a good cause for the community the organizations around the NHL like to get involved.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
You guys are also assuming he didn't just pick up a disconnected phone for the phone shoot. In the military, I've seen plenty of rank pretending to dish out holiday meals, build houses, visit recovering patients, inspect "deployed" sites, etc for a photo shoot and article just to leave immediately after the cameras dropped. He may also have actually done the work which I'm sure made the fans/donors entertained.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He's fallen back to earth a bit, but his numbers are still better than any other goalie arz has had over the past few years. Especially smith.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Domingues had a 950 so percentage in March through 8 games. Now a .917 sv percentage on the year. If he finished with that it will be the best sv percentage for an Arizona goalie since 2011-12. It would be the second best season of Mike smiths career, and he is a rookie.

Smith has played well the last few games, which has pumped up his stats, but he was at 903 over the first 20 games of the season. Really hoping Dominguez becomes starter next year, and Smith doesn't drive him out of town.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He's had a 950 so percentage in March through 8 games. Now a .917 sv percentage on the year. If he finished with that it will be the best sv percentage for an Arizona goalie since 2011-12. It would be the second best season of Mike smiths career.

Smith has played well the last few games, which has pumped up his stats, but he was at 903 over the first 20 games of the season. Really hoping Dominguez becomes starter next year, and Smith doesn't drive him out of town.

I can't imagine either of them leaving next season. Play them both, but don't make it a back up/starter scenario. I like the time Tip is giving them right now. Louie slowed down after consecutive starts in a row, which is normal. I think split the time a little more evenly next season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think we will have a tandem. Really glad Louie played last night. Shows that the coach has confidence in him and he came out with a big win.

A tandem may be best for both goalies. When Louie finally came back down to earth he desperately needed a break but we didn't have anyone who could play at the NHL level. Louie was forced to continue to play and you could tell he was increasingly getting frustrated at his lesser performances. Not really his fault though. When we would ride Smith this would happen to him as well.

I'd love to see a 50/50 split next season but it will probably be closer to 3/2 or 3/1. Either way it should help both goalies next year and hopefully the following season Louie starts to take the majority of starts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think we will have a tandem.

I think so too, and moreover I think this is the first time since I've been a fan of this team that we've had a true 1/1A goalie tandem upon whom we can rely rather than a starter/deeply-disappointing-backup.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Please help me understand why PLAYER A has been anointed the starter for 2016-2017 and PLAYER B is "playing" for the back-up role?

PLAYER A is 34 years old and is coming off hernia surgery. Stats:
2015-2016: Save % .913, GAA = 2.75
2014-2015: Save % .904, GAA = 3.16 (horrific team)
2013-2014: Save % .910, GAA = 2.58
Career: Save % .912, GAA = 2.68
Since coming back from injury PLAYER A has played 2 games against Edm (2nd worst record in NHL) and 2 against San Jose (88 points) and has given up 5 goals total in 4 games.

PLAYER B is 24 years old and finishing his rookie season/ELC. Stats:
2015-2016: Save % .917, GAA = 2.61
Career: Save % .916, GAA = 2.63
Since PLAYER A returned from injury, PLAYER B has played one game against Dallas (2nd overall in the NHL) and one against Tampa Bay (89 points). He has given up 2 goals total in the 2 games.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm hoping the distribution is closer to Smith 49 games and Domingue 33 games.

Of course if one goalie falters, the other may get a few more starts (and there's the whole possible injury thing for both that needs to be taken into account).

I'm guessing it will be closer to Smith 60/Domingue 22, but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad