Post-Game Talk: Let's Talk Domingue aka The Dominator

Nutz4hockey

Dec 21, 2015
So what's the overall impression 2 games in.

37 saves tonight shutout against the islanders (28 saves). :handclap:

I can see a difference in game play from the rest of the team, and I feel this comes form having confidence in their goalie. He has come up with some crucial saves, and has stopped several breakaways and let's not forget the penalty shot tonight & 2 minutes with a 6 on 5!

So the real test will be the 26th against the Kings, is this a potential goal tender that recognizes his opportunity of a lifetime, and has elevated his game to a potential NHL goal tending level? or will he fall on his face and join the inconsistency in goal that the rest have seemed to suffer?

Is Domingue our answer? and what do you think about him charging the rush on the breakaway? I haven't seen someone come out of the crease like that since the Roy/Belfour/Hextall/Brodeur era of hockey play, and this was the second game he has done this.

Love to here your thoughts and comments (my first post) so be gentle (lol)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm happy as long as we don't go overboard and start making comparisons to Ed Belfour and Patrick Roy.

Domingue is 23, so the "opportunity of a lifetime" narrative is nonsense. He's young and developing. I wish we wouldn't even draft goalies because none of them ever do anything before 23 or 24. The jury remains out, but he's been a pleasant surprise these two games.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Let's see if he performs this well over 15 games or more. Plenty of kids come up from the minors and play well for a few games before the grind of the NHL gets to them.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hope he's at least a long term backup but goalies are so hard to project, and many come up to the NHL and start hot only to fizzle out. We have nothing to lose this year by giving him a shot to carry the load, smith is hurt and isn't the guy when healthy, lindback has been okay but isn't a long term answer.

Nutz4hockey

Dec 21, 2015
I agree more games will tell the tale, not really comparing him to Roy or Belfour (2 of the NHL's greatest) i was merely making a comment that you don't see that type of ply in the league anymore, it seems to me the unwritten rule is to back into the net, instead of coming out of the crease to take away the angles, and time the rusher has to make a decision.

I agree he does have a good head for the game right now, and he seems to be very calm , patient, collected and comfortable between the pipes.

Ck i disagree with the opportunity of a lifetime though, he played a few games last year and was sent down to the AHL, he is now playing in the majors, waling into a situation where Smith is out for 8 to 10 weeks, and with our regular back up rattled after being told he had an opportunity as a potential starter and giving up a ton of goals.

I think if you are Domingue you have to look at this as your moment or that opportunity of a lifetime to prove yourself and maybe earn a starting position with excellent game play. Especially when we know DT has made numerous statements if you win you play, DT doesn't care what your salary is he wants performance. I also think that if Domingue demonstrates some consistency Smith will have a hard time earning the confidence from the rest of the team when he wants to get back between the pipes.

Just my 2 cents

Nutz4hockey

Dec 21, 2015
Hope he's at least a long term backup but goalies are so hard to project, and many come up to the NHL and start hot only to fizzle out. We have nothing to lose this year by giving him a shot to carry the load, smith is hurt and isn't the guy when healthy, lindback has been okay but isn't a long term answer.

Agreed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's playing with house money and feels no pressure. It's great.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
He's had two really good games but it doesn't mean anything other than it's better than two average or two bad games.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Goalie's can be made for short term sucess pretty easily in today's NHL. Signing one long term 95% of the time never works out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Agreed. It would be nice to have a young goalie break out.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Goalie's can be made for short term sucess pretty easily in today's NHL. Signing one long term 95% of the time never works out.

Agreed, not too many big goalie contracts given out in the last few years have been worth it. Even the goalies who have played well I'm not sure are worth their current deals. Outside of price and lundqvuist is any goalie worth 5 or 6 mil when you could sign a cheaper and not much worse replacement? Teams are still giving goalies big deals for now, I'm curious to see if that changes in the near future though.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Domingue

I'd say Domingue has done well, but I don't see it being him only "seizing the opportunity." I would also attribute some of it to our goalie coach who is better suited to teach/develop young goalies. If I had my way, I'd waive Lindback (I doubt anyone would trade for him) and bring up Treutle or Langhammer as well (much to our affiliates' dismays--Rapid City had to go out and sign a goalie due to our lack of depth this season) while Smitty's recovering. If anything, they'd get some excellent guidance from Elkin for the next few months.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I thought he passed the test last year and should have been given the opportunity to at least play back up this year but instead we signed Lindback. Kind of had to scratch my head on that one. Not a very encouraging sign for any of our goalie prospects.

Nutz4hockey

Dec 21, 2015
You caught us on a good day. If Kyle Chipchura plays 18 minutes in a game, hide.

I'm not sure how I feel quite yet about Chipi, I think a few games I have seen he was needed, and brought some pressure to board play, but he needs to work on some offensive skills he seems to get a bit puck locked, and doesn't contribute to the play much.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's encouraging by let's not annoint him the saviour just yet.

Right now he knows shooters better than they know him. Limited book on Domingue at NHL level. As teams scout him and learn his tendencies they will be able to pick apart his game. It's up to Domingue to keep improving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad