Lets talk about stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Part of me feels like I'm missing out but like you, I have zero patience for the learning process.

Most people that are jumping in right now didn't even go through that learning process. They just want to get rich, quick. Most of the time, that doesn't happen obviously. Usually, the more random people that don't know shit start talking about stocks, the closer we are to a crash.

But this could happen in 2 days or in 2 years, who knows. The US market is being propped up by the Feds so it could take a while. It's pretty much impossible to time. So the solution is to invest for the long term the money that you don't need right away. -30 to -50% in a few months doesn't matter at all if you're investing for 20-30+ years. If you're investing the money you need to pay your house, yeah good luck with that.

The simple approach if you don't want to learn anything: put a fixed amount of money each month in an ETF no matter if the market is in a good shape or bad shape. That's it. Don't worry about anything else. You'll have better returns than most active managers anyway. And with literally 0 effort, outside of quickly researching what ETFs are and why it's the best option for most individual investors with limited knowledge. But don't take my word for it, just look it up if you ever wanna learn.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Mine haven't been moving, like, at ALL since the pandemic. A large part of it is garanteed so it's not like I'm losing a huge chunk but I was kinda hoping to finish playing back my house before Im freaking 70, you know? :help:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Most people that are jumping in right now didn't even go through that learning process. They just want to get rich, quick. Most of the time, that doesn't happen obviously. Usually, the more random people that don't know shit start talking about stocks, the closer we are to a crash.

But this could happen in 2 days or in 2 years, who knows. The US market is being propped up by the Feds so it could take a while. It's pretty much impossible to time. So the solution is to invest for the long term the money that you don't need right away. -30 to -50% in a few months doesn't matter at all if you're investing for 20-30+ years. If you're investing the money you need to pay your house, yeah good luck with that.

The simple approach if you don't want to learn anything: put a fixed amount of money each month in an ETF no matter if the market is in a good shape or bad shape. That's it. Don't worry about anything else. You'll have better returns than most active managers anyway. And with literally 0 effort, outside of quickly researching what ETFs are and why it's the best option for most individual investors with limited knowledge. But don't take my word for it, just look it up if you ever wanna learn.
Good to know mate...thanks, I'll look into it.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I'm more into dividend stocks.

I recently started playing with fun money.
some small position with SCR, PSTH

Also started investing in BTCC (BTC ETF), bad timing but for the long term.
And on the process to acquire first bit of real BTC

man I’m in PSTH top only cause of BILL SPACMAN lol, but it’s been dead money for the longest time. I’m hoping we get the merger news soon

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Invested a bit in $PYR recently, important technology and Montreal company.

That's an interesting one. A lot of promising applications for their torches and could really take off if the stuff HPQ licensed works for car batteries too (silicate powder).

For a larger cap pick would be loading up AMZN at this level.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Moved my investment account mostly to crypto for swing trades, going long on Cardano, Eth and BTC. I have more faith in digital trends than paper money that can be printed over and over again

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I'll second this. It's extremely simple and has as good growth as anything else that isn't luck based.

For those interested they can check out Warren Buffet's 1 million dollar bet which he won by simply investing in an index fund and then not touching it beating out managed funds by a large amount.

There's also the whole FIRE community which is in part built around the idea of ETFs to fund their retirement.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

So true. All around.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know crap about stocks, I feel like everyone has jumped on this train, or maybe I'm just getting older and it's normal.

My brother is in same boat as you, saw me make money and wants to jump on the train.`

There's an illusion its easy or there's easy money everywhere but its really not the case.

Its really about timing and having a comfortable risk tolerance. Some people made ~50% overnight with Vaccine news. It created huge bumps in Canadian stocks like Air Canada, Suncor and others because it showed the light at the end of the tunnel. That a company like Air Canada wouldn't be burning cash forever.

In retrospect, sounds easy but when Air Canada was losing millions/billions with no end in sight there's a legitimate risk.

Air Canada is still losing millions but if you bought at the right time you'd have big returns now and could've sold.

Of course, they still have room to grow but they continue to bleed money for time being with no dividends or guarantees.

All this to say, if you came to the party early it was a lot easier. Still plenty of gains to be had but as a beginner investor such as yourself I want zero part of a stock market in 2 years. I do not have enough financial knowledge to navigate in a normal playing field or in a post covid bubble.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Used to invest in mining companies when I was working in that field.. since moving jobs I've slowly divested myself of all but a few "loser" stocks that I'll continue to hold on a prayer they go back up to the point where they break even.

My advice: Make hay while the sun shines , aka sell when you can make a decent profit. Don't keep thinking it will go up and up! lol. Wish I had a time machine.
( Not huge sums of money here just invest like 2,000-4,000 for a company)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I'm up over 100 percent in my stocks that I invested in at the time of Covid.
my porftfolio is overall both long term and short term. It's near sighted not to try to make "quick money". But it takes a strong stomach and a sense of what is trending.
For example I bought Fisker last week on the announcement of the Apple car. It's making me some serious money. I also consider it a long term stock , I'm staying in for a while as long as the agreement stays with Apple.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
The market is in a bubble fueled by money printing and low interest rates. Tech and high growth/disruption type stocks are way overpriced and if you start buying it now you will pay the price. There are parts of the market that aren’t bubbling (big tobacco, oil), I’d look there.

As for crypto currencies, there’s money to be made there but it’s a zero sum game like poker. For every dollar made a dollar is lost by someone else. Unlike stocks which represent ownership of a business selling goods and services for a profit - generating value.

My two cents. I’m seeing a lot of new blood getting in this game which generally indicates exuberance.

Reactions: Perrah

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Moved my investment account mostly to crypto for swing trades, going long on Cardano, Eth and BTC. I have more faith in digital trends than paper money that can be printed over and over again
Yeah Cardano has been good for me, got in under .40 cents and it held pretty good against the recent drop. Looks promising to me. Seen some predictions of $8 by the end of the year.

Reactions: jellybeans

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Years ago got into pot stocks but stopped after going too deep

the score was interesting with their reverse split recently, still think online gaming has potential long term

Reactions: canucklover123

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Cardano has been good for me, got in under .40 cents and it held pretty good against the recent drop. Looks promising to me. Seen some predictions of $8 by the end of the year.

It has a huge future with the failure of ETH gas fees right now, I'm holding on for a while. Sold DOT a few days ago at the top as well, been a great year so far.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Years ago got into pot stocks but stopped after going too deep

the score was interesting with their reverse split recently, still think online gaming has potential long term

Go with your gut, you are not incorrect. However do a little research and buy gaming altcoins, they are a massive market and the future. There are a couple out there, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Do not miss this opportunity to get gaming coins while they are cheap, next year they will be very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce