Lets talk about stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My friend who is into BTC said that it should test the 42k before going up/down.

isn't too late? or there is room to grow.

Yes, i'm into BTCC. and on the verge to buy my first real BTC (waiting to drop to 42-43k).
I bought in BTCC when it was 10$ so meh. it's a long term move

we love dumb luck :) I went in GME at 272 and managed to sell at 412 in the open market the day after.

the timing is bad. there is a correction the growth market. tsla moved down 13%
Is BTCC ETF just Bitcoin? I am not thinking about getting in just wondering how it works

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Took a little bit of money and gambled on Dave & Busters (PLAY) when the market was tanking last March.. got luck and was able to flip. I got back in just prior to US Thanksgiving when vaccine rumors were floating about..again just based on a hunch parents can’t wait to get their kids out of the house to an arcade somewhere. I’m banking on that demand continuing...
I must be the only one to lose money in the stock market. Every post besides mine people are cleaning up

Reactions: canucklover123

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
Most people that are jumping in right now didn't even go through that learning process. They just want to get rich, quick. Most of the time, that doesn't happen obviously. Usually, the more random people that don't know shit start talking about stocks, the closer we are to a crash.

But this could happen in 2 days or in 2 years, who knows. The US market is being propped up by the Feds so it could take a while. It's pretty much impossible to time. So the solution is to invest for the long term the money that you don't need right away. -30 to -50% in a few months doesn't matter at all if you're investing for 20-30+ years. If you're investing the money you need to pay your house, yeah good luck with that.

The simple approach if you don't want to learn anything: put a fixed amount of money each month in an ETF no matter if the market is in a good shape or bad shape. That's it. Don't worry about anything else. You'll have better returns than most active managers anyway. And with literally 0 effort, outside of quickly researching what ETFs are and why it's the best option for most individual investors with limited knowledge. But don't take my word for it, just look it up if you ever wanna learn.

Agreed. Especially anyone jumping on IPOs and tech stocks atm. Lithium and Copper too. People who invest in companies that increased by over 50% in the last 3 months are going to get slaughtered

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
BTC is literally worthless. Also, with Bill Gates coming out and saying how BTCs creating an environmental disaster it's only a matter of time before that bubble bursts.
It is 50/50 gamble for sure. I seen Bill Gates interview last week. He put down Bitcoin and other crytos but refused to answer if he had any invested in Bitcoin

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
It is 50/50 gamble for sure. I seen Bill Gates interview last week. He put down Bitcoin and other crytos but refused to answer if he had any invested in Bitcoin

He probably does. All the big money players are getting into it right now because short term there's money to be made. Long term or for the average investor it's way too risky.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I must be the only one to lose money in the stock market. Every post besides mine people are cleaning up
No one in this world can match my stock market strategy which I execute to perfection all but a handful of the times

“Buy high sell low”

I’m willing to accept mentoring & tutorial fees to pass along the trade secrets!

Reactions: japhi

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
BTC is literally worthless. Also, with Bill Gates coming out and saying how BTCs creating an environmental disaster it's only a matter of time before that bubble bursts.

There are studies about environmental impact compared with gold mining/fiat currency

I remember 8 years ago people undermining the value of BTC and cryptocurrency.
I never invested in it since I thought it was some meme project.

I'm getting into it. it's only disposable income going in. so It's not the end of the world if you're right.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
For those interested in companies like Illumina/PACB/HTBX etc, my recommendation is just...don't. The industry is incredibly complicated to understand and to make sense of. Additionally, it's NOT for short term, you'll get burned super hard. You can look at the fundamentals all you like, but honestly, they all pretty much do the same thing. I got in PACB at 6$ and sold at 15$ cuz I couldn't make sense of why it kept going up. It eventually reached 50, but that seems super unsustainable just because...nothing changed in between the 6$ and the 50. So my guess is that it was pretty much all speculative buys.

If you're in for the long game, you buy into companies with solid proven fundamentals and you just stick to it. You dollar cost average when you can and you hold, it doesn't matter if it's high or if it's low, you always just hold. Investing is all about having the stomach to storm through the tough times.

You can't time the market and data shows that day trading doesn't out perform smart long term investing.

Oh and for the love of God, don't short stocks or buy options if you barely understand how to invest lol

Reactions: Ozmodiar and japhi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

It's like gambling, you only hear about the wins and hear from the winners. Lots of data on how active retail traders fare, short, not well. But, we have been on an insane tech bull run so lots of winners but that will change, it always does. The folks that lack diversity and are trying to time the market will get smashed like they always do.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He probably does. All the big money players are getting into it right now because short term there's money to be made. Long term or for the average investor it's way too risky.

It's not investing, it's gambling. Which is fine but people need to know what they are getting in to. I'm risk averse and like value so take my opinion with a massive grain of salt. But what I do know, because these things always follow the same pattern: the correction is usually proportional to the run up, so wouldn't be surprising to see it move back 40-60% at some point, like it has twice in the past few years. And 50 down wipes out 2x up. And when it starts going the wrong way money scrambles to find an exit.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It's like gambling, you only hear about the wins and hear from the winners. Lots of data on how active retail traders fare, short, not well. But, we have been on an insane tech bull run so lots of winners but that will change, it always does. The folks that lack diversity and are trying to time the market will get smashed like they always do.
Yup and more disconcerting, the market is disconnected from the realties of the economy - operating in an alternate universe

Reactions: Puck Luck Run Amok

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
1)Every teenager should read the Wealthy Barber books. Super basic and simple but oh so important
2) If you want to learn more abut stocks , go though this whole series

Key concepts for stocks I go by
-diversification
-dont take on dept to invest
-think long term ( compound interest is your best friend )
-invest in something you know. read up on it.
- make a plan and stick to it ( growth ? dividends ? )
-Don't Panic

#LSPD #ATD # HEXO #PHO

Last edited:

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Gold stocks are considerably undervalued at the moment. Part of it is that big investors are buying bitcoin and the perception that interest rates will increase.

But the big producers have costs at around $900 an ounce. With gold dipping to just over $1700, they are still cash machines. Expect shares buy backs, takeovers and one time dividend disbursements as these companies have more cash flow than they know what to do with. Lots of mines close to production as well.

If you think bitcoin is overvalued and the feds aren't inclined to raise rates anytime soon, these undervalued gold stocks are terrific buys right now.

Reactions: japhi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Yup and more disconcerting, the market is disconnected from the realties of the economy - operating in an alternate universe

Look at RE. Pandemic, highest UE rates in years and values up 30%+ in some markets. No homes for sale in my area, at all.

Interest rates are going to have to normalize at some point. I think another RE crash is what takes everything out again. I'm 20% cash right now - I think there will be some nice buying opps in 2021. But who knows, as you say nothing makes sense.

What I do know is once things start looking shaky, new / retail investors are going to sell at the bottom like they always do. Humans will human. That's what most people don't understand about self directed investing, it is mostly about having the balls to be able to withstand the bad times. If you were diversified and held through any of the recent events - 2008, 2020, you made out very well, and the turn was pretty quick. But most see their life savings going to zero and sell at the worst time. Nearly impossible to time markets.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
1)Every teenager should read the Wealthy Barber books. Super basic and simple but oh so important
2) If you want to learn more abut stocks , go though this whole series

Key concepts for stocks I go by
-diversification
-dont take on dept to invest
-think long term ( compound interest is your best friend )
-invest in something you know. read up on it.
- make a plan and stick to it ( growth ? dividends ? )
-Don't Panic

#LSPD #ATD # HEXO #PHO

My biggest pet peeve, in the education system in Canada, US & Europe. Everyone ...absolutely everyone works to make $ to put a roof over their / family’s heads, food on the table yada yada yada.. yet the most important aspect of education, to teach children even from K the value of money is not even mandated as part of a curriculum. Just don’t get it..

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Gold stocks are considerably undervalued at the moment. Part of it is that big investors are buying bitcoin and the perception that interest rates will increase.

But the big producers have costs at around $900 an ounce. With gold dipping to just over $1700, they are still cash machines. Expect shares buy backs, takeovers and one time dividend disbursements as these companies have more cash flow than they know what to do with. Lots of mines close to production as well.

If you think bitcoin is overvalued and the feds aren't inclined to raise rates anytime soon, these undervalued gold stocks are terrific buys right now.

I'm not a gold bug but have been buying ABX. They have almost no debt, PE of 14x. Dropping like a stone which makes no sense. I keep nibbling away, dollar cost averaging down which can be a mugs game, but hard to control myself. Will likely buy more this coming week!

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If you're looking fairly long term, there are some terrific undervalued energy stocks that offer great dividends and growth. Enbridge is almost a monopoly for transporting oil and gas and is diversifying into renewables. 7.5% dividend and they increase it every year.

With oil above $60 and heading to $70, big producers are becoming cash machines as they've mostly lowered their costs during the past years to $30 to $35. Third and fourth quarter financials will very good. Think Suncor, Pembina, Tourmaline, CNQ,...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If you're looking fairly long term, there are some terrific undervalued energy stocks that offer great dividends and growth. Enbridge is almost a monopoly for transporting oil and gas and is diversifying into renewables. 7.5% dividend and they increase it every year.

With oil above $60 and heading to $70, big producers are becoming cash machines as they've mostly lowered their costs during the past years to $30 to $35. Third and fourth quarter financials will very good. Think Suncor, Pembina, Tourmaline, CNQ,...

We agree again. I have ENB, SU and KEY. Thinking of adding to my KEY position this week.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'm not a gold bug but have been buying ABX. They have almost no debt, PE of 14x. Dropping like a stone which makes no sense. I keep nibbling away, dollar cost averaging down which can be a mugs game, but hard to control myself. Will likely buy more this coming week!
Yep. AEM has a price target of 130 and they've just dropped to just above 70. Makes no sense but good buying opportunity.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

FYI , for those interested in a sustainable play would recommend monitoring NextEra Energy. They surpassed ExxonMobil in market cap a few months back & with the new US administration’s focus on sustainability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad