OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Oblivion for the 1st 30 minutes was amazing. As the movie progressed, it got increasingly more cheesy, obvious and stupid.

I agree. If you want something with a little more substance, watch Moon with Sam Rockwell.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.

I can completely understand this, but try It's always sunny. It's today's seinfeld, IMO. And I'm a HUGE fan of seinfeld.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I love Louis CK. That scene is as good as it gets for 'Lucky Louie', but it's nowhere near as good as anything on 'Louie'.

'Lucky Louie' is your (sub)standard TV sitcom with foul language and a bit of raunchiness. What makes it work is the chemistry between Louis CK and Pam Adlon.

luckielouieFlowersforkim.jpg

'Louie' is a one-of-a-kind **********ing piece of art. Such a uniquely great show. How Louis CK can write a show where he can portray himself as pathetic one moment then sublimely hilarious the next while keeping the stories compelling is beyond me. I love the discomfort (for lack of a better description) he sets in the situations he creates: he deconstructs the 'sit-slash-com' concept. Considering he does it all by himself (writing and directing alone for the most part), I'd say the guy's a storytelling genius.

Now I am interested, is Pam Adlon in Louie as well as Lucky Louie? I thought Louie was loosely based on Louis CK's real life, what part does she play?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I agree. If you want something with a little more substance, watch Moon with Sam Rockwell.

Great suggestion. Rockwell is solid as always, and Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son) is a great up-and-coming director. By no means a perfect flick, but much better sci-fi than the average Hollywod formulaic CGIfests :handclap:

Ground control to Major Tom

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
I think I am done with Homeland.

[spoil]Brody is gone and I really dont care about the Dana and her mother story line.[/spoil]

P.S. American Horror Story is fantastic

[spoil]For one second i tough you wrote dead rather than gone...or i misread...i dunno.. Nearly got an heart attack reading that Brody was dead and didnt watch it yet...Seriously this show is awesome still.[/spoil]

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What child-rearing?
The love story was not the point of the movie, it was tertiary.

You're commenting on things that are not central to the movie. The point was the allegory on drone warfare and its effects on the human condition, and current global geopolitics and social relations.

"We are... an effective team" is a lot more important than the child-rearing aspect I don't even remember. I wouldn't call that cliche and campy, as Oblivion tackled a social issue that is of tremendous importance to current social relations (the "human microphone" and crowd appeasement in general) and one that I have not seen tackled elsewhere. It can't be cliche to me if I have not seen it done before.

However, the social issue tackled "We are... an effective team" is one that people are not emotionally ready to listen to, so it doesn't resonate.

What the plot is about and what the plot is really about are usually different things.

It was a pretty interesting movie from the beginning but quickly lost focus and became a bit of a mess, I don't think it's fair to applaud it on its concept if it doesn't really address the question it raises.

Like Elysium, just bringing up an issue doesn't make the film profound. That said, it was entertaining enough... but I find a way to enjoy most of the movies I watch (knowing the immensity of what it takes to make them, I have to respect the effort), I even liked Start Trek: Into Darkness :)

What I absolutely detest and will NEVER watch is another superhero movie. No more Batmans, Supermans, Spidermans, IronMans, Avengers, Thors, Aquamans, whatever. Enough is enough. Their stories are non-existent and they all suck. If you just want "mindless action" there are more immersive movies than MEDIOCRE CGI 2: THE REVENGE OF THE CGI

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Now I am interested, is Pam Adlon in Louie as well as Lucky Louie? I thought Louie was loosely based on Louis CK's real life, what part does she play?

It's a twisted fiction, what Louis CK's life COULD look like. (I'm hoping he's not this poor helpless SOB in real life :laugh:) Pamela Adlon is one of the semi-recurring characters, but I won't tell you what role she plays, it'd spoil your viewing pleasure. Let's just say that this is NOT a sitcom and that character development is... unusual, to say the least. Things are rarely what you expect. It's one of those rare shows where you don't see the twists coming. The payoff is always rewarding.

I can rave about this show 'til tonight's game is over.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So the movie becomes a good if one if I don't pay attention to this or that or this or that. As a whole the movie was bad storytelling.

You must have pretty low standards to say a movie was solely on the uniqueness of its social message when the way it was wrapped up (in terms of plot and story) and presented was bad. The clone story was cliche, the love-triangle was cliche, the human vs drone battle was campy. Morgan Freeman ending up on the alien uterus thing was predictable and campy. The ending with the wife in the camp area being confronted by the clone and somehow being magically in love. It really was disappointed. I've never watched a movie that dipped that much into crappiness after having such an awesome first 30 minutes. It was the most disappointing summer movie after the Man of Steel.

You're accusing me of low standards even though you just brought up the mass corporate, pop-culture pulp of Seinfeld as the apex of humour. Dude, seriously.

[ETA: I like Seinfeld, but when somebody calls it the greatest thing ever, well ... ]

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but the fact you're focusing on tertiary plot elements supports my thesis that Oblivion failed commercially because its allegory flew over people's heads.

Morgan Freeman ending up in the alien uterus was predictable because that was the plan. Freeman and Cruise had agreed to join forces to fight the Tet. Of course it's predictable, they tell you it's going to happen.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Random movie: The American

It's slowly paced and meditative but an interesting foray... of course watch it after the game tonight.

I watched this a while ago because I like slower-paced movies and I thought the concept sounded interesting and Clooney's cool and all that...I didn't really care for it in the end, but as I watched it I said to myself that it probably works better as a book.

Not long ago I was in Chapters and the book was dirt cheap as part of some clearance sale so I picked it up and just finished reading it...and I still didn't care for it.

All that to say I invested a lot of time in a story I really didn't end up enjoying at all in the end. What can you do. :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Louie is a surrealist show but it is definitely worth the activation energy expended - it's about the nature of stand-up comedy, what bits of life come to inspire Louis CK's stand-up material and how they shape his perspective. The thing is, as a surrealist bit, there are no "characters" and the show kinda meanders between magical realism, fantasy, hyper-reality and all that. Basically go into the show just open to the idea that what you're seeing isn't a sitcom, it's more about the fleeting random scenes which inspire standup acts.

The multiple-episode arc with David Lynch and David Letterman in season3 was an impressive achievement in many ways.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.

Curb your Enthusiasm is closest to Seinfeld. It's regularly cited and some of the cast even make appearances. One episode even convinced M. J. Fox to get into sitcoms with ''The Michael J. Fox Show''. Give it a try, the formula is essentially the same.

I love Louie too but damn sometimes it's depressing. The greatest thing about the show is that it seems genuine. Also love the way he fathers his girls. I'm also a big big fan of his standup.

Parks and Rec is great, but too bad it's the last of the trifecta that included The Office and 30Rock which I both loved and it seems like time is ticking for this one too.

I don't know if many of you have heard about The IT Crowd, it's a bit obscure. While I love the four shows mentioned above in terms of comedy, none has made me laugh consistently and as hard as TIC, its balls to the wall tears in your eyes funny.

Louie is a surrealist show but it is definitely worth the activation energy expended - it's about the nature of stand-up comedy, what bits of life come to inspire Louis CK's stand-up material and how they shape his perspective. The thing is, as a surrealist bit, there are no "characters" and the show kinda meanders between magical realism, fantasy, hyper-reality and all that. Basically go into the show just open to the idea that what you're seeing isn't a sitcom, it's more about the fleeting random scenes which inspire standup acts.

The multiple-episode arc with David Lynch and David Letterman in season3 was an impressive achievement in many ways.

You explained it a lot better, and yes, the David Letterman arc was fantastic. Highlight of the show.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I watched this a while ago because I like slower-paced movies and I thought the concept sounded interesting and Clooney's cool and all that...I didn't really care for it in the end, but as I watched it I said to myself that it probably works better as a book.

Not long ago I was in Chapters and the book was dirt cheap as part of some clearance sale so I picked it up and just finished reading it...and I still didn't care for it.

All that to say I invested a lot of time in a story I really didn't end up enjoying at all in the end. What can you do. :laugh:

It's one of those random, decent movies. I'm not saying that everybody should watch it but as a slow, meditative movie set in Italy, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed The Tourist in a North by Northwest kinda way while apparently everybody hated it, so maybe I just have a thing for movies with pretty backdrops.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's one of those random, decent movies. I'm not saying that everybody should watch it but as a slow, meditative movie set in Italy, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed The Tourist in a North by Northwest kinda way while apparently everybody hated it, so maybe I just have a thing for movies with pretty backdrops.

I do too, which is why I was hoping I'd like The American more than I did (haven't seen The Tourist)...or why I stuck with it hoping to find something I'd like - it seems like the kind of thing I should enjoy.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I do too, which is why I was hoping I'd like The American more than I did (haven't seen The Tourist)...or why I stuck with it hoping to find something I'd like - it seems like the kind of thing I should enjoy.

Please tell me you've seen the Before Sunrise movies, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly... and Woody Allen's European movies.

edit: The Talented Mister Ripley had really pretty images too

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I can completely understand this, but try It's always sunny. It's today's seinfeld, IMO. And I'm a HUGE fan of seinfeld.

I never could get into Sunny' or Parks'. I don't know what makes them different but they just never got a laugh out of me. I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, Curb', Louie CK, Extras (anything with Ricky and Stephen), the first few seasons of The Office (then it fizzled, then it sucked). Everyone keeps telling me Sunny and Parks' are the same kind of humour as those, but I just can't get into them for some reason.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What the plot is about and what the plot is really about are usually different things.

It was a pretty interesting movie from the beginning but quickly lost focus and became a bit of a mess, I don't think it's fair to applaud it on its concept if it doesn't really address the question it raises.

Like Elysium, just bringing up an issue doesn't make the film profound. That said, it was entertaining enough... but I find a way to enjoy most of the movies I watch (knowing the immensity of what it takes to make them, I have to respect the effort), I even liked Start Trek: Into Darkness :)
Elysium, like Man of Steel, Thor 2, and Pacific Rim, had boring action sequences. In particular, the action sequences in Elysium went on too long.

Oblivion's concept is not "cliche", it's completely original as far as I know. It's an allegory for drone warfare, its effect on the human condition, and the sociological mechanisms needed to support that superstructure. I think the movie would have been more successful if it:
1) Came out in 2018 and not 2013, by which time people will be more ready for it.
2) Had more heavy-handed exposition to tell us what the plot is about.

Oblivion may come off as science fiction, but it's exactly what people in the middle east experience, and soon people in North America and Europe will experience that as well. Being watched from space, by a technologically superior object, driven by a false promise of joining the upper classes in some unreachable location (Titan) that probably doesn't even exist. You're fighting a false enemy on behalf of a boss who you think is your friend but you in fact have more in common with your enemy, most of the people you're fighting with are in fact your clones (an allegory for military uniformity and the inevitable uniformity of capitalism), the resources of your planet are being drained away as all you have left of a once mighty civilisation are remnants of books and statues.

And so on and so fourth. It's a fairly complete allegory, an allegory of something that hasn't been done in a major scifi blockbuster before. However, it flew over people's heads. I'll admit that's a failure of the film, as I wrote above: more heavy-handed exposition would have helped.

What I absolutely detest and will NEVER watch is another superhero movie. No more Batmans, Supermans, Spidermans, IronMans, Avengers, Thors, Aquamans, whatever. Enough is enough. Their stories are non-existent and they all suck. If you just want "mindless action" there are more immersive movies than MEDIOCRE CGI 2: THE REVENGE OF THE CGI
Some good comic book movies:
X-Men First Class
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
Sin City

Those are the ones I can recommend to people outside the nerd community. I think they're fundamentally good, as opposed to just being glorified nerdgasms like Thor 2.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Surprised californication hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Californication is great. Ironicially as much as people hate cliffhangers, the first season ended too neatly/perfectly and I never went back to it.

If you like Seinfeld then might I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's written and created by the co-creator of Seinfeld, Larry David. Some people even like the show better than Seinfeld so it's worth checking out.

For my comedic tastes I enjoy Modern Family, Community and New Girl.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Californication is great. Ironicially as much as people hate cliffhangers, the first season ended too neatly/perfectly and I never went back to it.

If you like Seinfeld then might I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's written and created by the co-creator of Seinfeld, Larry David. Some people even like the show better than Seinfeld so it's worth checking out.

For my comedic tastes I enjoy Community and New Girl.

Yeah, I've seen every Curb episode. I love it, not as good as Seinfeld, but still awesome.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And so on and so fourth. It's a fairly complete allegory, an allegory of something that hasn't been done in a major scifi blockbuster before.
I see the allegory but I still don't think it was an effective story. I might have to watch it again though.
Some good comic book movies:
X-Men First Class
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
Sin City

My list would begin and end with The Dark Knight and Watchmen, maybe Batman Begins but definitely not Rises. The rest of them, if the main characters didn't have superpowers, would expose the terrible dialogue, plot devices and acting which plague these movies.

X-Men could've been about what it means to be a mutant, what it means to be really different and all that. So much rich subtext available and they chose the wrong themes every. single. time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I see the allegory but I still don't think it was an effective story. I might have to watch it again though.
I'll admit to something else: I'm easily swayed by magnificent cinematography :) As another example, it took me a while to understand why Prometheus was a failed movie, because I found it so beautiful.

I agree the film has flaws, but it's a much better film than many films which did better, and I think those flaws apply to a lot of more successful films with both audience box office markers and critics scores. I think it failed in those regards because it was too advanced for the audience and critics.

My list would begin and end with The Dark Knight and Watchmen, maybe Batman Begins but definitely not Rises. The rest of them, if the main characters didn't have superpowers, would expose the terrible dialogue, plot devices and acting which plague these movies.

X-Men could've been about what it means to be a mutant, what it means to be really different and all that. So much rich subtext available and they chose the wrong themes every. single. time.
I agree on the X-men trilogy but not First Class. I thought that one told a good, character-driven and original story.

Did you not enjoy Sin City?

:-(

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Why do I get the feeling in this thread that to read your posts I should be wearing a monocle and tweed sport coat smoking a pipe and sipping XO cognac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad