OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
It also has a terrific score, Aaron Eckhart's performance, very good action scenes by a director who uses ~75% less CGI and less green screen than his contemporaries, an extremely focused script that is focused on a single issue (what kind of hero does Gotham need?), a setting (Gotham) that is well-built and actually provides a sense of place, and a narrative that flows organically from the continuity established in the first film.

But you shouldn't watch movies on TV. These are usually not the director's cut as hey cut out a lot of scenes, and the commercials really cut the mood and break the tension. Part of the movie's strength is that it has an incredibly consistent tone and build-up of tension and escalation... so you're stripping it of richness it when watching it on TV. It's like watching Avatar on a black and white cell phone, or watching "Chicago" or "Dirty Dancing" with the sound turned off.

It does not. It's vignettes building to the final resolution, but they're just replaceable plot devices. Don't tell me there's actual tension in the 'which ferry is going to get blown' situation. It makes for nice philosophical mumbo-jumbo (dirtbags have values, y'know), but take the scene away from the movie, you'll see it has no bearing on the outline. What's even worse, it actually demeans the Joker's character. Once he sees that these fine folks don't blow themselves up, he's faced with his own incompetence:

1- his great plan has failed

2- his backup plan of blowing the boats up himself is thwarted

So maybe they should edit the scene next time TDK plays on TV? :sarcasm:

Don't assume people watch movies on TV just because someone posts a comment about a movie playing on TV all the time. I enjoy the online chit-chat, but I don't need to be lectured on where and how I should view movies. You don't see me point out that you enjoy Avatar and Dirty Dancing (oops ;))

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It does not. It's vignettes building to the final resolution, but they're just replaceable plot devices. Don't tell me there's actual tension in the 'which ferry is going to get blown' situation. It makes for nice philosophical mumbo-jumbo (dirtbags have values, y'know), but take the scene away from the movie, you'll see it has no bearing on the outline. What's even worse, it actually demeans the Joker's character. Once he sees that these fine folks don't blow themselves up, he's faced with his own incompetence:

Don't assume people watch movies on TV just because someone posts a comment about a movie playing on TV all the time. I enjoy the online chit-chat, but I don't need to be lectured on where and how I should view movies. You don't see me point out that you enjoy Avatar and Dirty Dancing (oops ;))

I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoyed Avatar and Dirty Dancing, there's plenty going for those two movies. Avatar is the highest grossing movie ever, so the hate it gets is very shallow, mostly stupid arguments like "dances with smurfs" as if it's the only movie in history to borrow from other works. Actually Avatar is a lot more original than the majority of hollywood blockbusters, since it not only borrows from previous works, it also contributes new plot elements, principally the character of grace augustine, a character who is historically motivated by human terrain systems and their ilk in afghanistan and iraq. Avatar also stimulated discussion in the popular media and in the public consciousness. It is getting not one, not two, but three sequels.

Dirty Dancing had a compelling two leads, good soundtrack, and tackled a social issue (abortion) that is virtually never tackled. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other Hollywood movie where a prominent female character had an abortion and it was portrayed as the right decision. Most people, I'm sure, prefer Juno, because the baby is given up for adoption and not aborted. Whether or not it's "fun" depends on whether or not you can dig chick flicks. I have no problem with chick flicks, I don't seek them out but I enjoy them when they're there.

But aside from all that, not everything I like is high art :) I can enjoy french fries, soda, pop music, avatar, etc every so often. The very fact we're on a hockey forum means we can appreciate trashy pop culture.

The boat scene has significant bearing on the plot of The Dark Knight. The whole point of the movie is an exploration of the soul of Gotham. The boat scene lets us know, that at that point, the soul of Gotham is not corrupted, though it is at risk of being corrupted and does get corrupted in the following movie due to The Dent Act.

I can understabd you feeling that way. You're right about the switched settings. I wouldn't go as far as calling it 'bastardized', though I'm sure Alan Moore did :laugh:

I don't think that a straight-up adaptation of the 80's setting would have worked. And while I can understand Moore being protective about his work (and can't anyone in Hollywood come up with an original story anymore, FFS?), I don't buy this 'US liberal fantasy' bullcrap. Fact: history shows that fascist/totalitarian regimes CAN and WILL take control of any given society if you let them. The Wachowski siblings (now brother and sister :nod:) took the ball and ran with it. It was their choice to set the story in a more 'actual' world, and they made the most of it: a compelling, visually stunning movie that I enjoyed a lot more than Moore's books.
They actually made it less actual by stripping the story of all of its original meaning to tell a cheap allegory for Bush. They set the movie in a fascist society made to look like Bush's 5th term, and they don't do anything with it.

FYI, fascism doesn't come to power if "you let them", that has nothing to do with history, that's just... an American liberal interpretation ;) It's not about the people in power at any given moment in time, nor is it about other people being vigilante in directly fighting fascism beforehand.

Definitely out of Dirty Dancing, Avatar, TDK, and V for Vendetta... all four movies have "messages", however, the message of V for Vendetta is the least satisfying since it's based on an flawed reading of historical forces. Watching V for Vendetta is like listening to a condescending lecture defending young-earth creationism.

Last edited:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's a twisted fiction, what Louis CK's life COULD look like. (I'm hoping he's not this poor helpless SOB in real life :laugh:) Pamela Adlon is one of the semi-recurring characters, but I won't tell you what role she plays, it'd spoil your viewing pleasure. Let's just say that this is NOT a sitcom and that character development is... unusual, to say the least. Things are rarely what you expect. It's one of those rare shows where you don't see the twists coming. The payoff is always rewarding.

I can rave about this show 'til tonight's game is over.

I just watched season 1 and a bit of season 2 of Louie. It's brilliant. I see that Louis is divorced in real life with 2 daughters and obviously the main ideas of the series are biographical.

There is so much truth to this show that at times it hurts. I feel empathy for his character, real empathy because I am familiar with his situation.

If you're a divorced father the scene where he's brushing his daughters teeth and she reveals thoughts on how she loves her parents , that's powerful gut wrenching stuff a single father can barely watch with dry eyes. How he recovered the scene with comedy is brilliant.

The funniest episode so far to me was the one with his mother making the surprise visit. Great acting.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Finally got to watch Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris last night, after the game (needed something to cool off). I was delighted. Really entertaining and intriguing. I think it's his 3rd movie (that I saw) where he has another actor playing his role.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Finally got to watch Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris last night, after the game (needed something to cool off). I was delighted. Really entertaining and intriguing. I think it's his 3rd movie (that I saw) where he has another actor playing his role.

I wanted to rip my eyeballs out of my head during that movie. I gave it like 45 minutes and then I couldn't take it anymore.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I wanted to rip my eyeballs out of my head during that movie. I gave it like 45 minutes and then I couldn't take it anymore.

How so? You don't like Woody Allen in general or this movie in particular?

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
it seems random at first, but if you follow it for long enough you start to see an actual world, one with its own history. You only run into the history incidentally, it is never explicitly stated. Lots of off hand references and half stories. As a result it makes it feel more real, for some reason. It is probably my favourite cartoon!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
it seems random at first, but if you follow it for long enough you start to see an actual world, one with its own history. You only run into the history incidentally, it is never explicitly stated. Lots of off hand references and half stories. As a result it makes it feel more real, for some reason. It is probably my favourite cartoon!

lol i dont know who your trying to fool bud, ..but its like the show was made to be watched on shrooms man, and i advise AGAINST it lol

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Hold on, why are you using that as a negative in a case against the movie? Let's not forget these are superhero movies - they're supposed to show the villain's incompetence in the end, and their plans are supposed to get thwarted in the end. TDK's ferry scene is in effect a demonstration of the triumph of the good of regular people over evil like the Joker. I don't think it demeans the Joker, I just think it shows what all superhero comics or movies generally and inevitably do about their villains - that they're wrong.

The Dark Knight movies have their problems, I won't deny that, but that seems like a strange point to make in a Batman movie. The Joker isn't supposed to be "right".

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I just watched season 1 and a bit of season 2 of Louie. It's brilliant. I see that Louis is divorced in real life with 2 daughters and obviously the main ideas of the series are biographical.

There is so much truth to this show that at times it hurts. I feel empathy for his character, real empathy because I am familiar with his situation.

If you're a divorced father the scene where he's brushing his daughters teeth and she reveals thoughts on how she loves her parents , that's powerful gut wrenching stuff a single father can barely watch with dry eyes. How he recovered the scene with comedy is brilliant.

The funniest episode so far to me was the one with his mother making the surprise visit. Great acting.

Update on Louie, I am almost caught up on this series. Some of the most interesting comedy I have ever seen.

For those who watch it will know what I mean when I refer to the 'duckling' episode. It might be one of the best and most memorable pieces of comedy television I've ever seen.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A hilarious honest trailer of Pacific Rim:

What if the Man of Steel movie had been a cartoon?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Like Nolan, the Wachowskis are ambitious (or at least they were), but there's only so much high concept you can cram into a 2-hour flick before it feels forced or unnatural (for lack of a better term). Matrix 2 and 3 could have played on the original movie concept and introduced a few new 'rules', and moviegoers would have been OK with that. Instead, they went heavy on philosophical issues and a brilliant idea went down the crapper.

It's usually better to streamline/refine/purify the script in order to make a better flowing movie (linear or not). V For Vendetta is a good example of that. The Wachowskis took a great story by Alan Moore, adapted it to the medium, and added just enough of their own touch (both storywise and visually) to put together their best movie.

The problem with the Matrix sequels was the last two movies were split in two and it made them quite clunky watching separated. There's probably a good movie somewhere if you take some elements of Reload and some elements of Revolutions but even then there's just too much ******** philosophical talking mumbo-jumbo. Kubrick always said there's too much talking in movies and as such he made the Greatest sci-fi movie in 2001 just with images and showing the action.

About V for Vendetta, I agree, good movie but vastly interior to the Graphic Novel. It's a good thing the brothers ignored a huge part of the GN cause knowing them, it could have gotten messy.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thanks to whoever brought up Louie CK. I watched all of Lucky Louie first and had some real good laughs. Pamela is great too. Then I started on Louie and I'm like wtf is this? It's so realistic it's brilliant. It's not easy to go from outrageously funny to totally sad and depressing in a matter of seconds. M.A.S.H. could do it, but this is on a whole other level. Will definitely watch the whole series.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The problem with the Matrix sequels was the last two movies were split in two and it made them quite clunky watching separated. There's probably a good movie somewhere if you take some elements of Reload and some elements of Revolutions but even then there's just too much ******** philosophical talking mumbo-jumbo. Kubrick always said there's too much talking in movies and as such he made the Greatest sci-fi movie in 2001 just with images and showing the action.

About V for Vendetta, I agree, good movie but vastly interior to the Graphic Novel. It's a good thing the brothers ignored a huge part of the GN cause knowing them, it could have gotten messy.
The Matrix sequels were just a mess...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Thanks to whoever brought up Louie CK. I watched all of Lucky Louie first and had some real good laughs. Pamela is great too. Then I started on Louie and I'm like wtf is this? It's so realistic it's brilliant. It's not easy to go from outrageously funny to totally sad and depressing in a matter of seconds. M.A.S.H. could do it, but this is on a whole other level. Will definitely watch the whole series.

I am a Louis CK fan and I don't know why I was totally blown away with the freshness of this series. I watched Lucky Louie years ago when it was aired but until recently never got around to watching his new series. After watching all 3 seasons I have to say it's some of the best comedy I've ever seen.

He's written himself as the perfect loveable loser - a middle aged underachiever who openly makes fun of his own insecurities and imperfections. He can take you on a skeptics journey of learning , self reflection and inspiration, make you laugh out loud at the garbage life throws on you, then get you to truly wonder if this is the episode he puts a gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger. It's great acting and great writing about stories that are real. He's brilliant.

I can't imagine any TV more insightful about human nature than the duckling episode and the 2 Letterman episodes. if you haven't seen them yet you'll know what I mean when you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad