Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anybody stoked about season 2 of Santa Clarita Diet coming out tomorrow?

What's it about? I always see it when I'm scrolling the Netflix menu but was never tempted by it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What's it about? I always see it when I'm scrolling the Netflix menu but was never tempted by it.

Well if you ever liked Barrymore, you should look it up. Basically, she becomes undead and needs to feed on human corpses to survive and her reefer smoking husband played by Oliphant tries to help her while dealing with this new reality. Don't eat just before watching the 1st episode. She puts exorcism to shame.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well if you ever liked Barrymore, you should look it up. Basically, she becomes undead and needs to feed on human corpses to survive and her reefer smoking husband played by Oliphant tries to help her while dealing with this new reality. Don't eat just before watching the 1st episode. She puts exorcism to shame.

Thanks. Not sure it's my thing but I always like to see different POVs.

AboveandBeyond

Jun 1, 2013
Hollows Edge
No argument from me. Giovanni Ribisi is in the elite echelon of actors if you ask me.

Did you know that Bryan Cranston is one of the show's creators?
I didn’t know when I first started watching it but found out later on . He was excellent in the first season too I liked his character .

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Finally got around to watching Wind River. Excellent performance from Jeremy Renner and a good movie overall. A solid 7/10 from this critic :)

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So okay, I know I'll be mildly offtopic, but I just discovered another youtube gem. Can't believe that song only has 46k views. I almost pissed my pants. Funny guys, the Van Vuuren brothers:

Reactions: Bryson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Head-On: 8/10

The red violin: 7.8/10

28 days later: 7.5/10

About Elly: 7.5/10

I believe this is a first. You've finally broken the 7.9 ratings threshold.

tenor.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's this guy on You Tube, this channel called Talking Thrones and he said someone from the sets sent him emails of all the scripts from Seasons 8. It's a guy that usually is reliable and his guy also sent him images of the sets. It's probably bullshit cause the producers have sent fake things all over the net. But it's interesting so far reading these. Probably just fanfiction.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I finished Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States.
The Untold History of the United States - Wikipedia
Grade: B+

A lot of good content and information that is normally untold, but it's fact after fact after fact after fact with less actual narrative and discussion. It also only discusses the 20th century history.

Sounds like a dry presentation that is better rendered in a written format. If they're just mostly rattling out facts, how did they make it entertaining? How strong is the storytelling aspect?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sounds like a dry presentation that is better rendered in a written format. If they're just mostly rattling out facts, how did they make it entertaining? How strong is the storytelling aspect?

It was decent. They did have some common themes, for example the aggressive rise of the military industrial complex. However it did get exhausting toward the end.

Each of the episodes is independent on Netflix, feel free to try one and report back to me.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Dogtooth: 7.3WTF/10

I can't say that i love it and i can't say that i hated it either. The only reason i prefer Dogtooth to the Lobster or The Killing of a Sacred Deer is because it's 30 minutes shorther.

Kiss kiss, bang bang: 6.8/10

After the storm: 6.5/10

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes, the show is very good. The premise is clever, but what makes it shine is Ribisi's talent. He overshadows the rest of the cast easily and he is the reason I'm still watching it two seasons in.
I watched it all but found it "meh". Felt like they could have simply made a 90min movie out of this and nothing would be missed.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Collateral is undoubtedly the best show I've seen in 2018.

It came into it expecting a good time, but it stunned me a little as to how well executed it was. To me Collateral is a culmination of gradual evolution of British crime drama, as it balances high energy with emotional connections very well and isn't heavy-handed on either. Everything here works, everything makes sense at micro-level making its viewer enjoy each and every crumb of dialogue it drops.

And Mulligan's character is a force. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen while she was present on it.

Reactions: Zorba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad