OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
im a huge world war 2 nerd and this is the division that participated in the most brutal fighting on the german side. elite, well equipped, well led, experienced, impeccably trained, fought everything everywhere and were always outnumbered. movie or tv series, it'd be like a band of brothers except everyone dies every few episodes and they lose the war. if it's the 'ss' thing that's throwing you off, it was the waffen ss, slight difference and as far war crimes go, it's got a cleaner record than most (especially when you compare to, say, the 3rd ss Totenkopf). it's just something i'd be interested in seeing. it's a side of the war film makers haven't really touched yet: war from the german side

I'm familliar with WWII, I just don't see why they wouldn't make a movie out of it :laugh: They were a staple throughout the war. As for atrocities and war crimes, it's a myth that they didn't really commit any. Ukranian jewish groups know about it. The division was led by Steiner for three years I think, he didn't want any massacre/war crimes done by his soldier.

The Wiking division was also home to Mengele

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm familliar with WWII, I just don't see why they wouldn't make a movie out of it :laugh: They were a staple throughout the war. As for atrocities and war crimes, it's a myth that they didn't really commit any. Ukranian jewish groups know about it. The division was led by Steiner for three years I think, he didn't want any massacre/war crimes done by his soldier.

The Wiking division was also home to Mengele

I wanna see a war movie that can capture the spirit of the war without glorifying people needlessly. The end scene of Fury was like a dream sequence. But we cannot produce or accept a film about the German soldiers. I just can't happen. Our entire concept of military right and wrong depends on it. It's too deep, too complicated, too screwy, too offensive to even consider.

Hell, even the atom bomb shouldn't have been deployed. The entire timeline of the Japanese surrender, dating 6 months back from the bomb, is heart breaking.

War sucks, I'm tired of movies brainwashing us into thinking it's something heroic just because the blond eyed teenagers on the other side of the field had black uniforms. They're just as scared, lost and indoctrinated as anybody else - and they'll never get their say.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I wanna see a war movie that can capture the spirit of the war without glorifying people needlessly. The end scene of Fury was like a dream sequence. But we cannot produce or accept a film about the German soldiers. I just can't happen. Our entire concept of military right and wrong depends on it. It's too deep, too complicated, too screwy, too offensive to even consider.

Hell, even the atom bomb shouldn't have been deployed. The entire timeline of the Japanese surrender, dating 6 months back from the bomb, is heart breaking.

War sucks, I'm tired of movies brainwashing us into thinking it's something heroic just because the blond eyed teenagers on the other side of the field had black uniforms. They're just as scared, lost and indoctrinated as anybody else - and they'll never get their say.
The heroicness of war is not a modern theme. It goes way way back, especially in western philosophy. Hannah Arendt has a great dicusssion in The Human Condition on War, Glory and heroics.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The heroicness of war is not a modern theme. It goes way way back, especially in western philosophy. Hannah Arendt has a great dicusssion in The Human Condition on War, Glory and heroics.

Definitely. From the Greeks claiming that everybody who wasn't greek was a barbarian until today where league darling, garbage stat collector and all-american Peyton Manning is in the light and Tom Brady looks like a demon.
ce7unygpv7snlutqeu4k2o2pd.754x463x1.jpg

But seriously, they HAVE to glorify the people who fought because most of us don't and we can't rely on them to defend our walls without giving them credit for going there in the first place. The problem is that we no longer have to defend our walls like that, that proxy wars and wars with other intentions have taken over.

Did the Third Reich have to be stopped? Yes.
Are all the western soldiers who went over there heros? No.
Can we admit that, and therefore somehow discourage others from going over the next time this happens? No.

Same ****'s happening with ISIS in the mid-east... they're barbaric, regressive and all that bad stuff and we need to define a bad vs good paradigm to justify going over there. But we all know in the military there are a lot of ****heads who just wanna kill something or someone or just want to get paid.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah, I tend to agree. I just don't think painting Fury as a glorification of allied forces kind of movie is right. It's one of the only modern movie to actually show the american soldiers commit war crimes.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, I tend to agree. I just don't think painting Fury as a glorification of allied forces kind of movie is right. It's one of the only modern movie to actually show the american soldiers commit war crimes.
Off the top of my head, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers also depict war crimes by the Allies and just kinda shrugs it off, as if to suggest "yeah, they happened".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The problem is that the propaganda in fury was so blatant it made any ostensible good in the movie hard to follow.

- the only individual in the German army who can aim is wearing a mask;
- Once our American boy falls in love with a German woman, she dies right away, by German friendly fire;
- one of the Americans wants to **** that German woman, and he is also the least courageous one on the battlefield;

The movie is like Rocky IV and Transformers 3.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The problem is that the propaganda in fury was so blatant it made any ostensible good in the movie hard to follow.

- Once our American boy falls in love with a German woman, she dies right away, by German friendly fire;
- one of the Americans wants to **** that German woman, and he is also the least courageous one on the battlefield;

Am I reading propaganda against american propaganda here ?

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Was the movie suppose to be serious, or more like Inglourious Basterds? I haven't seen it yet, but I sure as hell am not expecting any facts or seriousness in it. Hell, I'm only expecting to be entertained by it. Nothing more.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think it was supposed to be serious, like a treatise on the courage of American soldiers.

Brass

Nov 14, 2007
laurentides
If you want to see a side on the german part theres a scene in saints and soldiers : airborne.

Or Joyeux Noel.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think you're sticking to the ending a lot. 2/3rds of the movie wasn't about the courage of american soldiers.

The main character started off as a coward/milquetoast, which sets up his character arc.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Within your grade system, wouldn't that be enough for at least a B?

:sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The main character started off as a coward/milquetoast, which sets up his character arc.

A coward ? I really think you missed the whole movie and you're just making a review to generate interest.

Machine doesn't want to fight because it's wrong to kill, not because he's scared. This is pretty clear in the movie and I don't know how you really missed that one.... That is if you actually watched it.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
my fault i guess, Rikiki Bousquet made the same mistake, but when i read "reviews", i think of this: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fury_2015/, not a detailed critique. mea culpa

for what it's worth, i still enjoyed your post so there...

Well, maybe it's a cultural thing, as I also clearly distinguish reviews and critique. Mainly because forums are practically never the place for college type of reviews. And it this review certainly wasn't one. Not because it lacked quality - I read the thing with great interest - but because it was used to rate.

Rated reviews, though, can also be precise in my eyes, but I'm used to reviewers screening the more important part of the plot or just be vague enough that only the ones that saw the movie can really understand what's being said.

I think that, all in all, reading a review that's not spoiler-free when many posters actually hide them is quite a contrast, and I'm hypersensitive when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Whatever :p:.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
That was "let's run amok in my GF DVD library" weekend

And I watched Interview with a Vampire friday. Not a great movie by any stretch, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Is it the most well-known movie whose lead character is an Acadian? (actually, a descendant of Acadian...)

7.5/10

I thought Louis was a frenchman that came to Louisiana afterwards. So a creole, in other words.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This week's Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is quite the tour de farce. Great footage and segues about corrupt and dimwitted lawmakers. Can easily be found as a re-run on HBO over the rest of this week.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Americans bring killed off screen prior to the timeline of the movie doesn't contribute much to the tone of the movie. What matters is what is shown in the movie, not the exposition dump of backstory. We're TOLD that the Germans are fierce warriors, but we're SHOWN total Anerican domination.

As for the tank battle, that was 90 seconds in the movie where more Americans than Germans died, but regardless the Americans won that battle.

I suggest that in general it's difficult to construct a good film where the antagonist loses not just the war every single battle.

Yea it's like in any movies, if you want people to care about the heroes, you better make the bad guys quasi-invincible cause it's not gonna work.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This week's Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is quite the tour de farce. Great footage and segues about corrupt and dimwitted lawmakers. Can easily be found as a re-run on HBO over the rest of this week.
I like it, but it's making us lazier and lazier. The general public should seek, and know about all these issues without John Oliver lightly grazing them once a week.

It's depressing as hell though. The more you learn, the worse it gets. The forces of evil are winning, of that much I'm sure.

Otherwise: I just watched Nightcrawler starring Jake 'my main man' Gyllenhaal. I loved the movie, the director exposed himself as a rookie in some instances but overall I loved the movie and loved Gyllenhaal's performance. Just captivating - it's less about the story and more about Louis Bloom, it's pretty much a character study.

Aesthetically, it will obviously remind you of Drive but without the overwrought self-seriousness of it all.

Up next: Interstellar I'm sure I'll hate the writing, the complicated jargon that Nolan will employ, the half-assed farts-worth of philosophy and meaning, etc. But I'll probably just like it for what it is.

Chris Nolan is a hack but at least he's ambitious.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Well it's heroic because Hitler was an Evil dude and the pure act of surviving in these conditions was heroic but you're right that we should know everything that is to be known down there, most of the guys on the other side were just a bunch of soldiers following orders too.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Definitely. From the Greeks claiming that everybody who wasn't greek was a barbarian until today where league darling, garbage stat collector and all-american Peyton Manning is in the light and Tom Brady looks like a demon.
ce7unygpv7snlutqeu4k2o2pd.754x463x1.jpg

But seriously, they HAVE to glorify the people who fought because most of us don't and we can't rely on them to defend our walls without giving them credit for going there in the first place. The problem is that we no longer have to defend our walls like that, that proxy wars and wars with other intentions have taken over.

Did the Third Reich have to be stopped? Yes.
Are all the western soldiers who went over there heros? No.
Can we admit that, and therefore somehow discourage others from going over the next time this happens? No.

Same ****'s happening with ISIS in the mid-east... they're barbaric, regressive and all that bad stuff and we need to define a bad vs good paradigm to justify going over there. But we all know in the military there are a lot of ****heads who just wanna kill something or someone or just want to get paid.

They are heroes to me just cause they have the balls to do this and I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad