OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Your reviews are sometimes better than the movies you're reviewing.

That's what i'm saying. :laugh:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, a brilliant use of machines as men on the backdrop of Ancient Egypt that link to our current war in the middle east. The shear chaos sends us in another state(that include wanting to throw up, dizziness, vertigo and near suicide). And for that alone I say: Genius!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
BTW I watched Family Guy at 9 and they killed Brian, the dog, for good and replaced him by another dog who happens to be Paulie from The Sopranos. Funniest thing i've seen in a while.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Ok the shield is terrible imo.

The wire on the other hand is the most intelligent and eye opening tv show ever created. It sheds so much light on police and crime on this continent its almost more realistic than reality itself. I think i may decide to re-watch just to immerse myself into the most well crafted piece of entertainement hbo will or has ever done.

This.

The Wire, to me at least, is not a typical TV show. It's more like an epic novel reflecting on our society as a whole with interesting characters that are based on real-life figures that happened to live in Baltimore.

The Shield is good in its own right, but the authenticity and writing is not even in the same category as The Wire.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This.

The Wire, to me at least, is not a typical TV show. It's more like an epic novel reflecting on our society as a whole with interesting characters that are based on real-life figures that happened to live in Baltimore.

The Shield is good in its own right, but the authenticity and writing is not even in the same category as The Wire.

I wonder if I'll see another show as good as The Wire in my lifetime.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I watched Starlight last night. It wasn't great. I think it is based on a Gaiman book of the same name, and to be honest, I am not a big fan of his. It seems like he takes interesting ideas that work in other situations and combines them in a way that really falls flat.

Anyhow, enough of that. The Wire is an amazing show, and everyone should watch it.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
BTW I watched Family Guy at 9 and they killed Brian, the dog, for good and replaced him by another dog who happens to be Paulie from The Sopranos. Funniest thing i've seen in a while.

I just saw that.. So no more Brian definitely? I like Paulie though.

TWD picking up steam again after being anemic with that stupid disease arc. I"m at the beginning of the episode but when I saw the wide shot with the tank in it before the intro I was like AWWWWW YEAAAAH!!! Because I know wht it's for.

Homeland the best show on TV in my power rankings right now.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i loooooooved the walking dead's last episode. a really nice change of pace and it humanizes a very one-dimensional antagonist.

edit: just realized there's a new one out, i mean the second last one

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Anyone catch the season finale of Boardwalk Empire? I thought that was it for the whole series but apparently they're coming back next year. Kind of a bummer that one of my favorite characters was killed though. I really like this show with the 1920's scenery, costumes and old cars.

Tonight's Sons of Anarchy should be a good one too, probably also the season finale. Now I'm waiting for Vikings and GoT to come back.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This.

Yeah im jumping all over The Wire the second i finish Sopranos (starting season 6, season 5 finale was AWEsome))

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I am just picking up season 6 of Sons of Anarchy. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed seasons 1-5 (with a mild season 3 letdown) I think some of the mojo's been lost in season 6. Not as edgy as in the past, slower pace and a little random at times.

I'd like to go back now and count the number of times a character says to a female character "are you alright". Writing pet peeve.

I noticed not all episodes are being written by Kurt Sutter , I hadn't noticed that in the past (although not paying attention to this until I started being less satisfied), I respected him for this series.

Another one of my pleasures falling back to mediocrity, will ride it out to series end but hope it comes back to life soon.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just saw Man of Steel. Loved it. Don't know why they kept putting gel in his hair when he'd wear the Superman costume though...

Anyways, I went in with low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Liked it a lot.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just saw Man of Steel. Loved it. Don't know why they kept putting gel in his hair when he'd wear the Superman costume though...

Anyways, I went in with low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Liked it a lot.

Curious, as this was a hugely controversial movie,

What is it you think you liked about it?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Just watched The Last Gladiators last night. Pretty mind boggling what Nilan went through. A real screwed up guy towards the end though, quite sad actually. The bit about Jean Perron was funny. Worth a watch.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I've been watching the League for the past few days, I love it. One of the few tv shows that makes me laugh.

And a little tip for my Canadian brahs, if you want to have access to Netflix USA (or pandora or other only american sites) go on Hola.org and download the plug in.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I've been watching the League for the past few days, I love it. One of the few tv shows that makes me laugh.

And a little tip for my Canadian brahs, if you want to have access to Netflix USA (or pandora or other only american sites) go on Hola.org and download the plug in.

Sounds real fishy brah.

/californians

ps. The League is really good. Ralfie is by far the most hilarious character I've ever seen on TV.

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's going to sell so much, lol. The books are better anyway.

Which books aren't better than the movie really?

I read all four Lord of The Rings books in a matter of weeks and finished it the day the movie came out hehe. Read Harry Potter, Ender's Game and am currently reading Life of Pi. I tried getting into the Count of Monte Cristo a few times but just couldn't for some reason. Might have something to do with the size of the book being rather intimidating. I might try reading it on my ipad mini and see if that makes it more manageable. Up next... Fifty Shades of Grey...hey if you want to understand women you have to read what they like... :naughty:

I wasn't very impressed by Hunger Games although I am hearing good things about the second one. Unfortunately the lack of gore and violence really took away from the movie. Everytime somebody died they cut away and added +1 to the scoreboard so the victims were nothing more that a number to me. Compare that to Battle Royale where the victims were their classmates, people they grew up with and were best friends with. I could see how killing them would be very difficult. Overall BR was just more believable and left more of an impression on me.

I also didn't get all of the Jennifer Lawrence hype but after watching Silver Linings Playbook, I'm in love. Highly recommended.

Other movies I've watched lately:

Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great And Powerful - both were really enjoyable and the visuals were great.

2 Guns - I'm a huge Denzel fan and rarely ever disappointed in one of his movies. Not only is he a good actor but he chooses his scripts wisely.

Prisoners - Worth a watch.

Resident Evil - Caught up on the whole series and really liked it a lot! Can't wait for the next one!

Kick Ass - Honestly I think these have to go up there with the best of the superhero movies. Really good action and writing compared to trash like Wolverine. Don't get me wrong I am a huge comic book fan, I even own Wolverine #1 but the movie was predicable as hell.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Started continuum last night, its pretty good.

Cop from the future is sent to present day to track down terrorist. I think its in Vancouver.

continuum-poster.jpg

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
I wonder if I'll see another show as good as The Wire in my lifetime.
I dont get the hype... Im from the hood so I expected something exciting... Its ok but not that good... Only watched season 1 a while ago (forced myself) and I heard season 2 was the worst so I really dont think Ill ever watch any other season, season 1 was so slow and often boring...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I dont get the hype... Im from the hood so I expected something exciting... Its ok but not that good... Only watched season 1 a while ago (forced myself) and I heard season 2 was the worst so I really dont think Ill ever watch any other season, season 1 was so slow and often boring...

I am with you. I watched 6 episodes and with the prospect of the season 2 letdown coming up, put the series to bed. I might pick it up again but the writers gave me no real reason to. I filed it with The Dark Knight for things that are wildly popular that I simply don't agree with.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I thought season 2 was the best one.

It deals with a very specific subject though: masculinity, whether you are into that subject or not will determine whether you can buy into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad