OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
I saw The Wind Rises over the weekend. It was far less "whimsical" -- to use a word that is forever attached to Miyazaki and his works -- than one would expect, to the point of being quite somber, but its bleakness offset moments of startling life and color for reasons that become obvious in the context of the film. The animation was incredibly intricate and detailed, as expected from a Studio Ghibli production.

Voice acting was generally solid, but there are some notable exceptions among the supporting cast and a few moments of intensely clunky translation.

Historical inaccuracies abound, but Miyazaki obviously attempted to capture the essential core of a man (or, rather, of his vision of a man) – something that transcends events. People have criticized the film for being a sympathetic portrayal of Jiro Horikoshi, and to some extent it is, but I think that his representation was really rather complex; it was not as laudatory or nationalistic as some have suggested. Miyazaki's distaste for war showed through, despite the subject matter.

I saw it with two friends who don't really care for animation in general, let alone anime, but they seemed to enjoy it immensely. It left us all with a profound sense of ambivalence, not towards the film itself, which we all agreed was moving, but towards the character. I thought that it was an impressive capstone on Miyazaki's career, intensely self-reflective on issues of aesthetics and the artist's social duty. In this light, it feels like his last movie. I recommended seeing it if you can, especially if you appreciate visual spectacle, but I could easily see some people becoming bored by a narrative that may appear slow-moving and disjointed, even though all three of us were riveted. I have to let my mind... fester on it for a little while, but I would give it an 8/10 at the moment.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I know this thread is about movies but I thought it was the best place to ask this question. Does anybody know the best free software to get rid of whatever virus that makes random words appear like blue underlinded hyperlinks. I tried Ad-Aware but it doesn't do the job anymore. Thanks a lot !

BTW I think House of Cards is awsome ! And I'm so glad a bunch of tv shows started playing again since last week.

PS I didn't enjoy Gravity either. I didn't even finish the movie because it was so shallow and boring. Nice special effects thought.

Might be a browser add-on that was installed. Read this, take action depending on browser installed. There's also a software recommendation here. If this doesn't help, use software called Malwarebytes, there's a free version and a trial version it's saved me a couple times.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...hlighted/42b655de-d042-48dd-a198-4a5d1dbefc11

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Way to miss the damn point, there is a post just above yours from someone saying they did not enjoy it.

I sometimes wonder why I bother discussing things on this board. So many myopic nitpickers. I recall that the average person scores ~1000 when and if they take the SATs, they can't nail the reading comprehension section.

This has been a good thread so far but this is not cool. At least 5 people here have come out and said they didn't like this movie, do we all "have problems" , think irrationally and have low IQ's ? It's not a personal insult to you.

Talking to people I think there's a wide variance in opinion on WoWS, American Hustle, and Gravity. Might be why 12 Years a Slave, granted a worthy film too, split the vote and came up on top.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This has been a good thread so far but this is not cool. At least 5 people here have come out and said they didn't like this movie, do we all "have problems" , think irrationally and have low IQ's ? It's not a personal insult to you.

Talking to people I think there's a wide variance in opinion on WoWS, American Hustle, and Gravity. Might be why 12 Years a Slave, granted a worthy film too, split the vote and came up on top.
Not a low IQ for not liking gravity, but for misunderstanding my post.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

Wasn't a fan of WoWS or American Hustle at all. I have no interest in even watching gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad