OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIIII

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Ithaki is basically part of Cefalonia lol and nice! You're one of the few who knows our secret :P

Pretty sure that mostly locals know and a few sailors maybe. I probably would not either if not for the friends from Messinia area, they took me all over the place many times. You're a long way from home now though it seems.

Reactions: jackeymoon

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Omg Manifest is so bad how is this crap trending?

Shout out to the FBI agent guarding the interrogation room door with a m16 and a raincoat. These dangerous time bending civilians are a real threat lmao

Main actress is clueless and was hired based on her good look I guess.

Ended up watching the fried food series with Daym Drops these fried ravioli dayuuuum

The main actress? you mean the one with the scuffed knees?;)

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I agree, terrible show. I could maybe tolerate it if there were interesting characters but everyone, especially that kid, were completely unlikable.

The father,main male lead reminds me of the episode from Friends when Joey took method acting and learnt to ''smell the fart''

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm must have watched every war movies (at least those based on real events on WW2)......and The Pianist is at the very top of my list (not alone there...but still there).

WW 2 movies are very compelling especially accurate depictions. Years ago knew more than a few that were at D day,both sides, and heard stories from them and others and my family being occupied at that time. The things they say about the films is that they are fairly accurate but they can not replicate the feel,smell,taste and sound and the actual gruesomeness of war,horrific.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A friends wife picked this out of my library as never seeing it, fun,good time movie. Don't remember doing this sort of thing though back in uni:dunno:
View attachment 451717

Always uncomfortable saying it's a great war movie, but this film was very enlightening.
View attachment 451718
I saw Gotcha! years ago. It was a few years before Linda Fiorentino had her breakout role in The Last Seduction which, if you've not seen it, I wholeheartedly recommend.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
WW 2 movies are very compelling especially accurate depictions. Years ago knew more than a few that were at D day,both sides, and heard stories from them and others and my family being occupied at that time. The things they say about the films is that they are fairly accurate but they can not replicate the feel,smell,taste and sound and the actual gruesomeness of war,horrific.
Yeah, you can get extremely visceral, a la Saving Private Ryan, but you can't smell the cordite. You can watch Schindler's List but you can't smell the burning bodies in the crematorium.

Reactions: angusyoung

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a good one. I love A Bridge too Far but honestly I find Vietnam war movies much more compelling.

Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and Platoon are just epic.
I saw Bridge Too Far in the theater and it was one of the last "all star cast" war movies. So many A-lister's. I also recall that Robert Redford was paid the then ungodly sum of $2 million even though his role was basically a 5 minute cameo.

I remember seeing both Platoon and Full Metal Jacket at the old York Cinema on Ste. Catherine between Guy and Mackay.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That's a good one. I love A Bridge too Far but honestly I find Vietnam war movies much more compelling.

Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and Platoon are just epic.

FMJ vs. Apocalypse Now as best war movie has been debated here before IIRC. I watch them both almost yearly. I haven't seen a Bridge Too Far yet but I'll have to check it out.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Anyone here, NOT, seen the ROCKET.......

Great film imo.

Just saw brawl at cellblock 99, now, its not the best movie, not even of this year, or heck, maybe this month, but Vince Vaughn, put on one of the best alpha male performances of hollywood history. Got into the shape of his life, no fat, just pure grimace and gristle.

For that alone, its a must see.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
What’s your favourite (s)?

Mine is a series - Band of Brothers.

Band of Brothers....must have watched it completely at least 3 times.
That's a gem for sure. For a series, it's the best for sure.

I'm ultra bias when it comes to this subject, especially when it's based on historical fact.
But at the top of my head, Schindler's list, Valkyrie, Downfall, Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, ......I also really like the mini-series Hitler:Rise of Evil although not clearly as good as Band of Bothers

Reactions: shanewalsh

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
not a movie, but enjoyed the show called the deuce. also, i liked cruella with emma stone. lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I saw Bridge Too Far in the theater and it was one of the last "all star cast" war movies. So many A-lister's. I also recall that Robert Redford was paid the then ungodly sum of $2 million even though his role was basically a 5 minute cameo.

I remember seeing both Platoon and Full Metal Jacket at the old York Cinema on Ste. Catherine between Guy and Mackay.

A Bridge Too Far is good although I think I must have a different perception than most about the movie cause I think it's a comedy. It hit me I think in the middle of it. I was like "of course!". The appearance of Redford cemented the whole thing. He appears as a figure of hope out of nowhere....and then what follows is one of the biggest blunders in war history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad