OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I want to know why you wouldn't let that happen to your children and think it's not okay while simultaneously thinking it can't be abusive. So why wouldn't you let your kids sleep in the same bed as Michael Jackson and why is it not okay?
Not sure how many times I have to repeat it. It's weird AF...
Weird=/=abusive. I mean, you know what abuse means? It's to treat with cruelty or to a bad effect.
If Michael is messed up in the head, thinks he's 10 years old too and just wants to have a sleepover like two young kids would, it ain't abusive. It's weird and the guy has mental issues but he isn't abusing anyone.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not sure how many times I have to repeat it. It's weird AF...
Weird=/=abusive. I mean, you know what abuse means? It's to treat with cruelty or to a bad effect.
If Michael is messed up in the head, thinks he's 10 years old too and just wants to have a sleepover like two young kids would, it ain't abusive. It's weird and the guy has mental issues but he isn't abusing anyone.

So you wouldn't let it happen because 'it's weird af'. So putting your children in a situation that's weird af isn't abusive? You're saying it's so weird you wouldn't let your children do it for reasons you haven't made clear besides it being weird but it doesn't cross over to being abusive. Is the Adam Sandler situation weird af too? Because you seem to bring up the example to normalize that behaviour while calling it weird af.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Saw Captain Marvel yesterday and I would probably echo similar sentiments as some.

To be honest, the movie was rather underwhelming for me. It wasn't as bad as some may say, but it certainly didn't feel epic. I thought the movie was important in the grand scheme of the current Infinity War story arc and bringing Captain Marvel to the MCU, but the movie itself was a throwaway movie otherwise. Ironically, because it moves the Infinity War story along, this was the biggest issue as being set in the 90s, I felt they were held back from a narrative standpoint as they couldn't do damage to their own story timeline.

Also, while Captain Marvel's binary form was rather impressive, I am not sure if I would place her at a power level above Thor w/Stormbreaker. Yeah, tanking explosions and blowing up ships is impressive (shown in the trailer) and there's another feat not shown in the trailer which was pretty cool, but I think combination of Ragnorok and Infinity War shows Thor at a different power-level now. Taking the power of a star was pretty impressive to me.

Anyhow, back on topic, the movie changes a lot from the comics but within the context of the movie, it works fine. I do think they may be missing an opportunity with the Skrulls, but I'll reserve judgment if the rumoured Secret Invasion story-line is done.

I'd put this movie in the tier of Thor 2, Iron-Man 3 and maybe Ant-Man 2. Maybe better than Thor 2 but definitely a weaker entry in the MCU.

Reactions: ArsHabs

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's also what kills his movies for me. I don't get all gitty hearing imaginary two bit criminals spout their outdated philosophies, half funny anecdotes and typical outlaw exploits.

Kill Bill was an intellectual wasteland, worst than H8. Most spaghetti westerns are.
But at least it had women in it. Uma fits well, as did Lucy Liu. After PF and IB, I like the 2 KB's.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
That's also what kills his movies for me. I don't get all gitty hearing imaginary two bit criminals spout their outdated philosophies, half funny anecdotes and typical outlaw exploits.

Kill Bill was an intellectual wasteland, worst than H8. Most spaghetti westerns are.

I don't think anyone watched Kill Bill for the philosophy of it, it's a crazy homage to hong kong movies...

Like I understand the criticism but not all movies are supposed to be 12 Angry Men, gimme a John Wick here and there too. Sometimes I just wanna see the shooty people shoot other shooty people and clap like i'm a baby seal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think anyone watched Kill Bill for the philosophy of it, it's a crazy homage to hong kong movies...

Like I understand the criticism but not all movies are supposed to be 12 Angry Men, gimme a John Wick here and there too. Sometimes I just wanna see the shooty people shoot other shooty people and clap like i'm a baby seal

Amen.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Totally agree. Just saying how he shouldnt be put on such a pedestal, like many do.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Saw Captain Marvel yesterday and I would probably echo similar sentiments as some.

To be honest, the movie was rather underwhelming for me. It wasn't as bad as some may say, but it certainly didn't feel epic. I thought the movie was important in the grand scheme of the current Infinity War story arc and bringing Captain Marvel to the MCU, but the movie itself was a throwaway movie otherwise. Ironically, because it moves the Infinity War story along, this was the biggest issue as being set in the 90s, I felt they were held back from a narrative standpoint as they couldn't do damage to their own story timeline.

Also, while Captain Marvel's binary form was rather impressive, I am not sure if I would place her at a power level above Thor w/Stormbreaker. Yeah, tanking explosions and blowing up ships is impressive (shown in the trailer) and there's another feat not shown in the trailer which was pretty cool, but I think combination of Ragnorok and Infinity War shows Thor at a different power-level now. Taking the power of a star was pretty impressive to me.

Anyhow, back on topic, the movie changes a lot from the comics but within the context of the movie, it works fine. I do think they may be missing an opportunity with the Skrulls, but I'll reserve judgment if the rumoured Secret Invasion story-line is done.

I'd put this movie in the tier of Thor 2, Iron-Man 3 and maybe Ant-Man 2. Maybe better than Thor 2 but definitely a weaker entry in the MCU.

I havent seen it yet, but ive heard of how Nick Fury loses his eye, if the person wasnt messing with me, I thought it was completely ridiculous.

Think ill torrent the damn thing just before End game.

How much of its box office success will be because of End game, we'll never know, and oddly enough we'll probably won't hear much about that link. Sweep sweep rug...

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Totally agree. Just saying how he shouldnt be put on such a pedestal, like many do.

heh I think he's one of the most consistent director out there and that's not something to gloss over. I consider all of his movies to be at least good and interesting in their own way, and it's even more impressive considering the range of movie styles he's done, not many directors can jump between spaghetti western, non-chronological gangster, hong kong, WW2 and etc and make it work

If your only problem is that he's on pedestal to some people and enough for you to want to bring him down by not seeing his career as objectively as possible, it's kind of in bad faith. If you think his movies are bad then idk sure, your opinion I guess

People also put Nolan on a dumb pedestal and I still like most of his movies, pedestals don't matter, #stopPedestals2019

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
heh I think he's one of the most consistent director out there and that's not something to gloss over. I consider all of his movies to be at least good and interesting in their own way, and it's even more impressive considering the range of movie styles he's done, not many directors can jump between spaghetti western, non-chronological gangster, hong kong, WW2 and etc and make it work

If your only problem is that he's on pedestal to some people and enough for you to want to bring him down by not seeing his career as objectively as possible, it's kind of in bad faith. If you think his movies are bad then idk sure, your opinion I guess

People also put Nolan on a dumb pedestal and I still like most of his movies, pedestals don't matter, #stopPedestals2019

yeah the Nolan 'hate' is kind of weird to me on here. I mean people nit pick the hell out of his flaws and ignore the really really good. It seems to spring out of a reaction to the hero worship these guys experience which like you said is in bad faith. Mind you I do the same with Kendrick Lamar and Father John Misty so I guess I can't say much hahahaha.

Wasn't a big fan of Dunkirk though. Might have to re-watch it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
yeah the Nolan 'hate' is kind of weird to me on here. I mean people nit pick the hell out of his flaws and ignore the really really good. It seems to spring out of a reaction to the hero worship these guys experience which like you said is in bad faith. Mind you I do the same with Kendrick Lamar and Father John Misty so I guess I can't say much hahahaha.

Wasn't a big fan of Dunkirk though. Might have to re-watch it.
Dunkirk's ambiance and the play with sound was just overbearing... I think it portrays war in a really good way. The plane attack was fantastic IMO.

It's no enjoyable, at all, it's one of the most stressful movie I've ever seen.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The typical long boring conversational pieces in this movie that Tarantino has become famous for. The first half of the movie was so boring that nothing happens, lots of talk and literally nothing else. The chatter is silly and childish, not much to like about this film imo.

You guys are crazy, the dialogue in both those movies is amazing, perhaps just not your type of movie. I personally don't mind them, it's usually unnecessary/pointless dialogue in stressed environments (usually involving killing someone or being on the run) which makes it all the better for me because it's unexpected and he actually builds to action scenes unlike the current action flicks we see (like the Marvel ones) that just jump right into it. You guys must have absolutely hated Pulp Fiction, that movie had some amazing pointless dialogue in it as well like the foot massage scene and the royal with cheese :laugh:

Reactions: ArtPeur

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
Finally getting around to finishing up the Spartacus series. Bloody great.
RIP Andy Whitfield

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You guys are crazy, the dialogue in both those movies is amazing, perhaps just not your type of movie. I personally don't mind them, it's usually unnecessary/pointless dialogue in stressed environments (usually involving killing someone or being on the run) which makes it all the better for me because it's unexpected and he actually builds to action scenes unlike the current action flicks we see (like the Marvel ones) that just jump right into it. You guys must have absolutely hated Pulp Fiction, that movie had some amazing pointless dialogue in it as well like the foot massage scene and the royal with cheese :laugh:

Actually, I absolutely loved Pulp Fiction, when I first saw it as a 16 years old.

I'm 40 in a week and my tastes kinda evolved since then..

Maybe you should realign yoyr preconceptions.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained are all pretty good movies. It just so happens that a lot of the actors in those movies make them great. There's no RD without Tim Roth. No PF without Julius & Vincent. No Django or Inglorious don't cut it without Waltz and many of the other actors.

Really paint yourself as an irrational fanboy when you make these kinda assumptions.

Tarantino's a good director, but he's overrated because what he sells is sensationalism and people who lap at sensationalistic stuff do exactly like you do.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I used to love the DK trilogy. Not so much now. His movies are full of plot holes and i hate some of the cinematic devices he uses.

I still prefer Fincher over Nolan.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Actually, I absolutely loved Pulp Fiction, when I first saw it as a 16 years old.

I'm 40 in a week and my tastes kinda evolved since then..

Maybe you should realign yoyr preconceptions.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained are all pretty good movies. It just so happens that a lot of the actors in those movies make them great. There's no RD without Tim Roth. No PF without Julius & Vincent. No Django or Inglorious don't cut it without Waltz and many of the other actors.

Really paint yourself as an irrational fanboy when you make these kinda assumptions.

Tarantino's a good director, but he's overrated because what he sells is sensationalism and people who lap at sensationalistic stuff do exactly like you do.

Not sure I understand your argument...hateful 8 had Samuel L Jackson, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, James Parks, Michael Bacall who were all either in Inglorious Basters, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained or Pulp Fiction (each overlapping into at least 2 movies you mentioned). It's no secret QT recycles the same actors that he's seen so much success with in the past.

I really struck a nerve for a harmless comment somehow...get some fresh air?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I used to love the DK trilogy. Not so much now. His movies are full of plot holes and i hate some of the cinematic devices he uses.

look love isn't quantifiable

it's just science man

(I love Interstellar so much tho)

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Watched Black 47 the other night. Not a bad show. It's about the Irish famine back in 1840's and how a soldier tries to get revenge for his people.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

The DK movies are pretty overrated, but Interstellar was great IMO and plot holes aside, I think Inception is a lot of fun. That's my idea of a 'turn your brain off' action movie done right.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Dunkirk's ambiance and the play with sound was just overbearing... I think it portrays war in a really good way. The plane attack was fantastic IMO.

It's no enjoyable, at all, it's one of the most stressful movie I've ever seen.

yeah I thought it was technically incredible and what not. Tom Hardy was fantastic even though his face was covered by a mask. I just thought he nailed that kind of British accent from that era and he was just so captivating by just using his speech. I was wondering if Nolan was kind of winking a bit at us by having Hardy playing another character that has his voice kind of muffled by a mask a la Baine. Nolan is a big Kubrick fan (at least I think he is) and that kind of feels like something Kubrick would do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
yeah I thought it was technically incredible and what not. Tom Hardy was fantastic even though his face was covered by a mask. I just thought he nailed that kind of British accent from that era and he was just so captivating by just using his speech. I was wondering if Nolan was kind of winking a bit at us by having Hardy playing another character that has his voice kind of muffled by a mask a la Baine. Nolan is a big Kubrick fan (at least I think he is) and that kind of feels like something Kubrick would do.

Yeah, I love Hardy. He's also a complete babe to watch.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I want to know why you wouldn't let that happen to your children and think it's not okay while simultaneously thinking it can't be abusive. So why wouldn't you let your kids sleep in the same bed as Michael Jackson and why is it not okay?

You can disagree with something and not find it abusive. It's ultimately the parents responsibility to look out for their children. That should be the real outrage here, where the f*** were they?

Reactions: overlords
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad