Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Yeah we signed 38 year old Patrick Marleau who was looking for a Stanley Cup before he retired AND CHOSE US to give him that shot, for "learning experiences". We signed 36 year old Ron Hainsey for "learning experiences", we traded for 35 year old Tomas Plekanec at the trade deadline for "learning experiences".

Fact is, we geared up for a cup run, posted a franchise best win and points record and flopped, and part of it is because of players like Matthews not doing his part.

People don't want to smell the roses lol. This team made moves contenders (who don't know what they want) make. Trading picks at the deadline. Keeping expiring contracts before the seasons started and during the deadline and during it, etc.

While it may be a learning experience, that's just a side benefit. Babcock said he wanted to see help added at the deadline. Teams looking for learning experiences don't trade away futures for help.

Team took a gamble and 4 games into the playoffs it failed miserably. But maybe this is a learning experience. A learning experience for management. The Hockey God's were finally blessing Toronto and management lost sight of the ultimate goal and wanted to see if they could cut a few corners. However the future is unkind to those who don't learn from the past and here we are. Good thing is we only made small mistakes getting here (although that Z contract looks terrible). Hopefully we get back on track.

Reactions: dsred

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Boston this year is a much harder opponent than Washington last year. I have no doubt if this team played Washington last year they'd be up 3-1 or have swept at this point. The problem is nobody wants to admit that the Bruins this year are a really good team. I honestly don't think Tampa stands a chance in round 2 either, Penguins will be the first "real" test for them in the conference finals. At the end of the day, they Leafs got absolutely screwed by the playoff format.

We would have played the Pens in the first round in a "normal" playoff format setting...

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lmao

I'm lovin' these dumbass threads. Keep it going boys.

These young guns aren't cup contenders just yet. Let them gain experience and learn. Our time will come.

No one is expecting cup contenders. I personally didn't think we would make it any deeper than the second round had we gotten past Boston (which was a massive task in itself). Most of us are disappointed that the team has played like crap. As much as the Bruins have slapped around the buds, they have shot themselves in the foot just as much if not more. If we went down swinging, I don't think you would see 99% of us complaining.

If Matthews/ Willie want the big pay cheques they have to show they've earned it. What's the point of having a guy that can score 50/50 in the regular season but go MIA in the playoffs? At the end of the day we want to see effort and heart from the boys not fancy shots and dangles here and there.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's a 20 year old not quite ready to lead his team. I thought he would be, but he was not. And that's not the end of the world. McDavid wasn't ready to do the same last year either. Not everybody is Crosby.

Reactions: Liminality

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
People don't want to smell the roses lol. This team made moves contenders (who don't know what they want) make. Trading picks at the deadline. Keeping expiring contracts before the seasons started and during the deadline and during it, etc.

While it may be a learning experience, that's just a side benefit. Babcock said he wanted to see help added at the deadline. Teams looking for learning experiences don't trade away futures for help.

Team took a gamble and 4 games into the playoffs it failed miserably. But maybe this is a learning experience. A learning experience for management. The Hockey God's were finally blessing Toronto and management lost sight of the ultimate goal and wanted to see if they could cut a few corners. However the future is unkind to those who don't learn from the past and here we are. Good thing is we only made small mistakes getting here (although that Z contract looks terrible). Hopefully we get back on track.
How do you even type this out and not figure out how poorly reasoned it is?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Poorly reasoned? Please explain. Is trading picks for at the deadline not what contenders do? Is there another example of a team that isn't going for it trading picks for helps?

You are making it sound like the Leafs mortgaged their future for this run, they didn't even come close to doing that.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
He's been okay but nothing like he is capable of. I'll be surprised if we don't find out later that his injury is worse than we thought. I haven't given up hope for this year but I hope he gets healthy before next season then we'll see the real Matthews...(At least I hope so)

Reactions: NiftyMits

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's almost like different team styles match up differently, imagine that.

The Pens offense would pick apart our defense, and their centre depth is deeper than Boston's with Crosby, Malkin and Brassard down the middle...and Murray in net is no slouch...the Pens are making Philadelphia look like a peewee team...I mean Provorov is supposed to be light years better than Rielly according to folks on the main boards, right? Nope.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Matthews was not good tonight, nor has he been during most of this series. He doesn’t look right to be honest — he’s losing puck battles he normally wins, he’s turning the puck over in all three zones, he’s been poor defensively, he’s generally playing without much passion (notwithstanding a few spurts of energy here and there, particularly in game 2). I’m guessing (hoping?) he tweaked something at some point. Boston is a very good team, but there’s no reason a healthy Matthews should be playing this poorly against them. Bergeron wasn’t even playing tonight!

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
hello? GREAT long term news this is- the leafs will save MILLIONS in contract $$$ to the 2 no shows and use it hopefully for at least 1 two way big forward and 1 def. dman.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Correction Crosby did not lead his team in playoffs until his 4th year as a pro when he won the Cup. Very very few players have ever lead their teams to Cups in their first 2 seasons. Roy? Yes but he was the best there ever was in goal ever. I still have faith but Matthews is just not ready yet.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think a really scary question to ask yourself is, just how good was Anderson last year against Washington?

IMHO this is 2yrs in a row Anderson has not played well in the playoffs and that is the start of a trend

Reactions: hurricanematthews

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Most of the team has had a terrible series.

Matthews had 4 goals and 1 assist in 6 games last year. He can perform in the playoffs but the team collectively hit a wall this series.

Reactions: NiftyMits

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
He's been okay but nothing like he is capable of. I'll be surprised if we don't find out later that his injury is worse than we thought. I haven't given up hope for this year but I hope he gets healthy before next season then we'll see the real Matthews...(At least I hope so)

Well of course we will. But it doesn't make it legit. But whenever there is a criticism of a team's young star player, they will always say he was hurt to deflect the criticism.

If anybody remembers Joe Thorton and the Bruins, that was one of the reasons why the Thornton camp was mad. He bombed in the playoffs and Thorton and his family and his agent were mad that the Bruins management didn't protect him from criticism by saying he was injured.

So it's almost an automatic thing . If a star player performs below expectations, the team will always float out the "he was almost dying" in the media to protect their franchise player and earn points with the player and his agent. Otherwise the young star gets hurt feelings and demands a trade.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Boston covers their whole zone except our RD because they are all brain dead. I think that’s helping Marner be more successful because he controls the right side and boston can’t leave a gap. Maybe put Kadri center and Matthew RW for a few periods

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
The Leafs are up against an excellent team that will likely get to the conference finals or even win the cup if they move past the Leafs.
What team has won a cup 2-3 years into a rebuild?
Accept it for what it is. FFS.

No wonder some players don't want to play in Toronto with overactive media and fans like I see on here.

Dumb as a bag full of hammers.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Garry, Tucker, Domi, Sundin, McCabe we are missing these hard nosed players who can grind it through the playoffs. Hell even Kessel was putting up points even though he was afraid of taking hits. You need to bring it any way you play, it's frustrating when your top player has 1 point in 4 games.

I feel bad for Marner. Poor guy is bringing it every game and trying as hard as he can to win but the team is a total let down.

Even our defense is soft as butter. Get rid of Gardiner when his contract is up. Replace Polak with someone who can be useful. This round leaves many of us with an impression of underwhelming. If this is how you play in playoffs then I don't think these guys can get the job done. There is litterally no urgency in their games whatsoever.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Garry, Tucker, Domi, Sundin, McCabe we are missing these hard nosed players who can grind it through the playoffs. Hell even Kessel was putting up points even though he was afraid of taking hits. You need to bring it any way you play, it's frustrating when your top player has 1 point in 4 games.

I feel bad for Marner. Poor guy is bringing it every game and trying as hard as he can to win but the team is a total let down.

Even our defense is soft as butter. Get rid of Gardiner when his contract is up. Replace Polak with someone who can be useful. This round leaves many of us with an impression of underwhelming. If this is how you play in playoffs then I don't think these guys can get the job done. There is litterally no urgency in their games whatsoever.

How far did those guys take the Leafs?

Reactions: Ib4n3z

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
How far did those guys take the Leafs?

Lets wait how far this team takes us this season and we can compare. Forwards might not be in their to form but sometimes goalie has to give them a chance as well. If we want to win with Andersen then anything less than 4 goals on any night is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad