Let's Take a Look Back

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Anisimov is so mediocre. Is nothing special at all.

I honestly never knew why anyone missed him.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
of course... but the point was no one thought going into the playoffs thought we could truly compete for a cup. Most probably hoped to get to the ECF again.. It was surreal, the teams current performance doesnt surprise me... Some of these guys are believing there own hype right now.

There were plenty of people on these boards that believed that. There were probably dozens of posts on the subject. -31- (aka Brian Boyle) likely wrote the equivalent of a novel on the subject.

Just check out this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1598965

This was one post I wrote:

The Rangers road to the ECF likely goes through Washington/Philly/Columbus in the 1st round and then Pitt in the 2nd round.

Assuming Pitt doesn't get knocked out in the 1st round as it did in '11 and '12, then we would play whatever wild card team beat them.

I've been thinking about two questions:
1) How have the Rangers stacked up against the rest of the east/league?
2) How do the Rangers compare to the '11-'12 team?

Since their 3-7 start (the last 49 games, about 85% of the season) the Rangers are:

6th in the league in points, 3rd in the east.
7th in the league in goals for, 4th in the east.
5th in the league in goals against, 4th in the east.
6th in the league in goal differential, 3rd in the east.

The Rangers finished the last 90% of the season as one of the top 5 teams in the league. As soon as they got healthy, they were an elite team. They were 5th overall in goal differential, 2nd in the East. They were 2nd overall in goals against, behind only the team they lost to in the Final, and 1st in the East.

Despite the slow start, it was obvious that they had the talent. The numbers, both advanced and standard, were trending upward. And the new alignment gives them a clear path to the conference finals. Even taking parity out of the equation, it looked like the Rangers had legit shot to make noise.

So it was discussed. It just drowned out by a recurring chorus of obtuseness and/or stupidity. Compare that thread to this one. See if you notice any recurring themes.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Could you expand on this a bit?

Sure.

The roster is very similar. The team is different. They lost a lot of leadership with Richards and Boyle leaving. They lost a line that had a ton of chemistry. when Pouliot left. They lost a defensive pairing that melded very well together when Stralman left.

So, while the roster might be very similar to the one that went to the SCF, this year's team is quite different.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
There were plenty of people on these boards that believed that. There were probably dozens of posts on the subject. -31- (aka Brian Boyle) likely wrote the equivalent of a novel on the subject.
Truth. I could have ended world hunger years ago, but I spend most of my time on here trying to show why I am right and all opposing opinions are wrong.

I need help.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The idea that they are being "thrown away" is pretty subjective.
Ok, again, this has been covered ad nauseum.

I think that this team is talented, but still flawed. And yes, every team has flaws. I know. But, again, no one remembers the '79 team for a reason.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No team wins the Cup at trade deadline. They can only improve their chances. The Rangers had a team to believe in before the St. Louis trade, and they got a much bigger slice of the Stanley Cup pie after it, as evidenced by the playoffs.

It's a probabilistic world. Trying to fit it into a Boolean checklist is a stupid exercise.

And I would say the exact same thing had Pittsburgh won Game 5.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ok, again, this has been covered ad nauseum.

I think that this team is talented, but still flawed. And yes, every team has flaws. I know. But, again, no one remembers the '79 team for a reason.

Yeah because I was not born yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad