Let's Stop Putting Marner on Matthews' Wing

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I also prefer Marner with Tavares. I think HF seriously underrates JT, and the 2 of these guys together bring out their best.

Last edited:
Reactions: ktownhockey

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With news that Keefe will be back, and knowing what a simpleton he is, I am hoping you will all join me and create future mock line-ups with Matthews-Nylander and Tavares-Marner as dedicated pairs.

In the 1/100 chance that he browses hfboards over the next couple months, it is our combined duty to attempt to get it through his thick head that the above lines are better and Tavares-Nylander do not work together

Thank you. This has been a public service announcement.

Better yet, for the simpletons that can't think past using Nylander on the top two lines, spread the talent out to three lines.

Tavares needs players who can play at his pace, Nylander can drive his own line, and despite the want to break up a top 5 line in the league, we should probably keep them together.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Domi - Holmberg - Nylander
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves

The top line will be one of the best in the league.
2nd line will be average.
3rd line will be one of the best in the league.

Keefe loads up on o-zone draws and when needed in a game, so you can move Nylander/Domi up to the top 2 lines when needed and roll a 3rd line of Lafferty/Kampf/Jarnkrok after for the shift off.

If anyone loading up the top two lines with a mix of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares/Domi/Bertuzzi, I am assuming the game plan is to not get scored on for the 20 mins a game the other two lines are out there and hope the big guns beat the other team? We need scoring depth...

Reactions: Puckstuff

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Admittedly I was only thinking about spreading out the offence. If you want to take into account defence as well as offence, then I think the best line combo would be:
Bert - Matthews - Nylander
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Both Bert and Tavares play in tight so I don't think they should be on the same line together.

Third line has includes Knies and Jarnkrok and who else?
Third line would have Kampf?

They’ll ice a team and have 4 line most nights, but no matter how they slice it it’s hard to put together the combinations.
If we see they I’m certain management does too and are working to rectify it.

a lot of work to do and it’ll take time

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Better yet, for the simpletons that can't think past using Nylander on the top two lines, spread the talent out to three lines.

Tavares needs players who can play at his pace, Nylander can drive his own line, and despite the want to break up a top 5 line in the league, we should probably keep them together.

Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Domi - Holmberg - Nylander

2nd line will be average.
3rd line will be one of the best in the league.

Keefe loads up on o-zone draws and when needed in a game, so you can move Nylander/Domi up to the top 2 lines when needed and roll a 3rd line of Lafferty/Kampf/Jarnkrok after for the shift off.

If anyone loading up the top two lines with a mix of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares/Domi/Bertuzzi, I am assuming the game plan is to not get scored on for the 20 mins a game the other two lines are out there and hope the big guns beat the other team? We need scoring depth...
Better yet, for the simpletons who can't think past using Nylander on line three.

Agreed, Tavares needs players who can play at his pace (slow), and the far too fast Nylander can drive his own line, so we should probably keep them apart.

One question is why is Nylander capable of driving his own line, but Matthews and Marner (two better players) aren't, and have to be kept together?

Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Holmberg - Tavares - Jarnkrok

2nd line will be one of the best in the league.
3rd line will be average.

Keefe loads up on o-zone draws and when needed in a game, so you can move Tavares up to the top 2 lines for faceoffs.

Reactions: arso40

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Better yet, for the simpletons who can't think past using Nylander on line three.

Agreed, Tavares needs players who can play at his pace (slow), and the far too fast Nylander can drive his own line, so we should probably keep them apart.

One question is why is Nylander capable of driving his own line, but Matthews and Marner (two better players) aren't, and have to be kept together?

Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Holmberg - Tavares - Jarnkrok

2nd line will be one of the best in the league.
3rd line will be average.

Keefe loads up on o-zone draws and when needed in a game, so you can move Tavares up to the top 2 lines for faceoffs.
Lol...
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander on the same line?
You really don't understand the importance of defensive minded forwards or 2 way players.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Knies - Matthews - Tavares
Bertuzzi - Domi - Marner
Nylander - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampft - Lafferty

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol...
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander on the same line?
You really don't understand the importance of defensive minded forwards or 2 way players.
Domi is easily better than Tavares defensively at this point of their careers. Tavares is a disaster defensively these days.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Domi is easily better than Tavares defensively at this point of their careers. Tavares is a disaster defensively these days.
I do not disagree. Tavares need defensive help as well. I'm thinking the team has little choice but to break up Marner and Matthews just to balance basic defense.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I do not disagree. Tavares need defensive help as well. I'm thinking the team has little choice but to break up Marner and Matthews just to balance basic defense.
Breaking up your best offensive combination to fix defensive issues just doesn't sit right with me.

Vegas' Eichel-Marchessault line wasn't all that good defensively either but they could cover up their weakness with how reliable their D was. Leafs need something similar.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Knies - Matthews - Tavares
Bertuzzi - Domi - Marner
Nylander - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampft - Lafferty
Tavares on the top line and Nylander on the third (and not even at C or RW)? Weird.

Switch those two for starters.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Breaking up your best offensive combination to fix defensive issues just doesn't sit right with me.

Vegas' Eichel-Marchessault line wasn't all that good defensively either but they could cover up their weakness with how reliable their D was. Leafs need something similar.
I was surprised to discover that our best offensive line last year was actually Bunting - Matthews - Nylander. Not too shocking, as they are the best scorers, but it seems a bit of a waste to have them together.

Spread out the offence or spread out the defence?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok, here you go:

WEfd5vO.png

If that doesn't work, I have a "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" gif ready as a backup.

Or the guy from the Duff Brewery tour

Duff: We've got a few things up our sleeves
Homer: LIke what?
Duff: Alright We've got nothing. You happy?
Homer: No

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I know how to solve the bottom 6 issue! And with clever line combos

Knies - Kampf - Laff (The start with leftovers line)
Jarn- Holm - Nylander (The is there a Swedish LHD line)
Domi - Tavares - Mitch (The 3 Knights line)
Bert- Matt - Steeves (The injured line)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I also prefer Marner with Tavares. I think HF seriously underrates JT, and the 2 of these guys together bring out their best.
I used to think this but Keefe does not use JT the way Babcock did. I don't like it but if they are sticking with Keefe that use won't change and if there in any chance that Tavare's ES deployment is hurting his offense, why attach Mitch to that? Leave Mitch with AM and Knies and put Tavares with Bert and Domi or Bert and Robertson when Domi is in the 3C spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad