OT: Let's Remember Some Guys

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
How many threads do we need to dump on Kakko?
giphy.gif

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
theres currently a main board thread on Aaron Voros, a guy we relied on for scoring in those awful post-Jagr days when we were lucky to have anyone score 20 goals or 50 points

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Wanna talk Sean Avery?
I still never got the hype with him. It was a joke comparing him to Tikannen. 1997 or 1998 regular season coasting Tikannen was as effective as full force Avery.

He was a jolt for one playoff run and spent the remainder of his time in the league going offsides 7 times a game and networking.

He became effective again for a minute in fall 2011 but then Torts looked for the first thing to het him out of town.

He even wrote an article for The Players Tribune I believe after his career of how difficult it was to enjoy playing hockey and get hyped on a nightly basis.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gene Carr apparently has passed. This was a kid that Bill Chadwick the Rangers color man in the 70's use to torment for no good reason. I wasn't a fan of Chadwick.....a bully and a blowhard IMO.

I think it was in his second year that the Rangers were in Boston and he and Mike Murphy another Rangers forward hung out with Bruins forward Derek Sanderson at Sanderson's bar that day. When Murphy and Carr left they took a cab and in a cross street the cab was hit by a police car chasing another car. Some minutes later Sanderson having also left the bar found the two of them staggering around in the street and took them to the hospital. Murphy was concussed and this was where Carr's back issues started which would plagued him through the rest of his career and into retirement and eventually put him in a wheelchair.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Gene Carr apparently has passed. This was a kid that Bill Chadwick the Rangers color man in the 70's use to torment for no good reason. I wasn't a fan of Chadwick.....a bully and a blowhard IMO.

I think it was in his second year that the Rangers were in Boston and he and Mike Murphy another Rangers forward hung out with Bruins forward Derek Sanderson at Sanderson's bar that day. When Murphy and Carr left they took a cab and in a cross street the cab was hit by a police car chasing another car. Some minutes later Sanderson having also left the bar found the two of them staggering around in the street and took them to the hospital. Murphy was concussed and this was where Carr's back issues started which would plagued him through the rest of his career and into retirement and eventually put him in a wheelchair.
Tremendous speed, but had more problems than Kakko trying to finish.

Will always remember him flying down the ice with the blonde hair flowing. R.I.P. #20

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I don't think that anyone who was there the night he made his Ranger debut will forget it: he had two goals and two assists. It seemed, for a brief few games, that we had stolen something special in a trade with the Blues. But, aside from blazing speed and, at the time really unusual, long hair, there was not much else to his game. But, in the playoffs in 1972, against the Blackhawks, his job was to shadow Bobby Hull, and he did a great job, helping propel us into the finals against the Bruins. He did have one 17 goal, 54 point season with the Penguins. But that debut....unforgettable.

Reactions: Mandar and cwede

0ldTimeHockey

Oct 31, 2021
What about Martin Rucinsky? I seem to remember him scoring an OT goal against St. Louis I think where he missed the net and it hit off the boards and in or something.

I remember this vividly... Shot was way high and bounced straight back off the glass and went in off the goalie's back. It was extra odd because we never get that kind of luck.

Another one that comes to mind is Sean Avery against the Thrashers in the playoffs. Dumped the puck out of the zone, took a weird bounce off the stantion in the glass, and went in toward the vacant net.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember this vividly... Shot was way high and bounced straight back off the glass and went in off the goalie's back. It was extra odd because we never get that kind of luck.

Another one that comes to mind is Sean Avery against the Thrashers in the playoffs. Dumped the puck out of the zone, took a weird bounce off the stantion in the glass, and went in toward the vacant net.
I didn't see that because I think it was before online streaming and I was already relocated to MD, but I remember listening to the radio (they did stream the radio broadcasts) and couldn't believe that really happened.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

When you said we don't get that kind of luck that's the goal I think of.

Another lucky goal was a playoff clinching goal by Cally in a game against the Canes I believe. I think it went in like the Rucinsky goal when we were down 3-2 in the third and that goal tied it. Then they won in OT to clinching a playoff spot.

Reactions: 0ldTimeHockey

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

Gene Carr. My most hated Ranger ever.

Chadwick was 100% correct about him.

"Gene Carr couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the end of the pier."

I hope they dig an extra large grave because no doubt he'll miss it wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad