Salary Cap: Lets put Salary structure expenditures to the test.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Haha this article says we are a lesser team now with projected adv stats. I don’t know about these things anymore. I think we are better and deeper after keeping everyone we wanted and expected to. https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-proposed-canadian-division-domination-2021/

Advanced stats aren't exactly my M.O, but perhaps a number of our additions coming from lesser teams plays a part? Last season's team also apparently "looked elite on paper" only to then fall short of expectations on the ice, so there's also that. I'd just say right now that this is a different team. Hopefully it's healthier and subsequently better too.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Advanced stats aren't exactly my M.O, but perhaps a number of our additions coming from lesser teams plays a part? Last season's team also apparently "looked elite on paper" only to then fall short of expectations on the ice, so there's also that. I'd just say right now that this is a different team. Hopefully it's healthier and subsequently better too.
There isn’t a stat in the world to predict chemistry yet everyone insists on adv stats to indicate some kind of fore gone conclusion as to best players. Gutting out a important win when the chips are down is indicated in what stat at the end of a game when you won and were outplayed for 50 minutes. It happens lots. I happen to remember putting out 4 pretty great Senators teams that dominated the possession on us in the playoffs for instance. There isn’t a stat for that but it happened 4 times because we were tougher and meaner :)
They outshot us by a 2 to 1 ration too haha

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There isn’t a stat in the world to predict chemistry yet everyone insists on adv stats to indicate some kind of fore gone conclusion as to best players. Gutting out a important win when the chips are down is indicated in what stat at the end of a game when you won and were outplayed for 50 minutes. It happens lots. I happen to remember putting out 4 pretty great Senators teams that dominated the possession on us in the playoffs for instance. There isn’t a stat for that but it happened 4 times because we were tougher and meaner :)
They outshot us by a 2 to 1 ration too haha

Possession can only accomplish so much sometimes. Shot totals as well. Have to be able to convert on enough of the chances to make it all as meaningful as it should be. The name of the game will always be to outscore the opponent. Regardless, those are a few stats in a long line of them. Nothing wrong with any stat really as long as it's assessed effectively enough.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Barzal and Pulock for the Isles to get signed with only $8,906,000 isn’t going to happen. Barzal wants that himself likely

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m still waiting for the crowd that said we are so screwed on cap and can’t have four players taking half the cap and improve. Pretty weak when its yap all season and then scoot away when it looks like your narrative doesn’t hold up. Ha
Very competitive looking for next season. Whenever or if that starts. Nhl seems to be breaking or attempting to break the CBA.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m still waiting for the crowd that said we are so screwed on cap and can’t have four players taking half the cap and improve. Pretty weak when its yap all season and then scoot away when it looks like your narrative doesn’t hold up. Ha
Very competitive looking for next season. Whenever or if that starts. Nhl seems to be breaking or attempting to break the CBA.
I still believe that is a poor mix and going to be very hard to have the kind of success we all want.
I will hold on to that opinion until it is proven wrong and I truly hope it is proven wrong. However we really don't know how this latest mix of players will perform over the long haul and what kind of success they will have.
Either way I'm looking forward to whatever next season brings.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I still believe that is a poor mix and going to be very hard to have the kind of success we all want.
I will hold on to that opinion until it is proven wrong and I truly hope it is proven wrong. However we really don't know how this latest mix of players will perform over the long haul and what kind of success they will have.
Either way I'm looking forward to whatever next season brings.
Completely viewed differently by us but thats cool. Johnsson and Kapanen won’t be missed. Robertson can score as much as one easily. They only had 21 goals combined. Defensively we are better and more grit. Thats what we needed. The scoring will still be right up there in the league overall. Improved defensive play will determine how it shakes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad