Proposal: Let's play a game: Propose a realistic trade to help rebuild this team

Vieille Barbe

Radko's Modern Life
Apr 6, 2012
Hockey Paradise
Panthers need to add toughness, shutdown players, defensive forwards, size & energy to bottom 6, they do have enough skillful players to score that's not the problem. Panthers problem is they are run over every night, adding highly skilled forward without defense at all wont help there.

This. In today's NHL the road to the playoffs runs through the divisions. If you're going to compete in the Atlantic, you can't get "run over every night."

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
If you guys think this team can "score no problem" you're kidding yourselves and frankly, you've never watched a game of ours.

We desperately need scoring, but we also need toughness, grit, and size. The list is a long one friends...

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Barkov Bjustad Matthias looks like a solid combo up the middle... Keep these guys around. You have the playmaker on the PP in Huberdeau, what you need is the shooter... You guys should either draft a big minute PP d man or a sniper on the wing.

I dont really know what you guys see in Gudbrandson... He will probably be a minute eating d man at some point but hes no Pietrangelo.. Hes pretty dusty offensively.

Howden is a really nice player as well.

If you draft a d man like EKblad you should trade Gub for a right handed sniper.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
How would Panther fans feel about a Nick Schultz for Scottie Upshall trade.

Both make 3.5 per but Schultz' deal is up at the end of the year while Upshall has another year after this one, Schultz is still a capable vet who could likely resign for a nice deal.

Thoughts?

Crazy Caboose

Oct 25, 2013
FL

Both make 3.5 per but Schultz' deal is up at the end of the year while Upshall has another year after this one, Schultz is still a capable vet who could likely resign for a nice deal.

Thoughts?

If upshall keeps play like he has in his last 10 games he is going nowhere. Guy is finally starting to come alive the new coaching has given him new life.

And trust me that's saying something because not long ago we would've traded him for a bag of pucks! :laugh:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

Thoughts?

no, upshall just started to play great and we have no interest in it

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
no, upshall just started to play great and we have no interest in it

That's great for Upshall, I've been a fan since he was a Kamloops Blazer I've always wanted him on the Oilers, hopefully he keeps up the good play, he's always seemed to have the tools but putting it all together has been tough for him.

Thanks for the responses.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
As an outsider... let me put things into a non baised perspective for you kind folks.
I believe you are vastly overrating Kulikov.

No way you could get Eberle or Yakupov for him... a 3rd round pick or second tier prospect wouldnt even it out either.
I think even trading Kulkiov for Gagner 1 for 1 still favors Fla a bit...
Kulikov hasnt accomplished much.. Gagner has...and Yakupov hasnt accomplished much but he's a 1st overall pick..

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
As an outsider... let me put things into a non baised perspective for you kind folks.
I believe you are vastly overrating Kulikov.

No way you could get Eberle or Yakupov for him... a 3rd round pick or second tier prospect wouldnt even it out either.
I think even trading Kulkiov for Gagner 1 for 1 still favors Fla a bit...
Kulikov hasnt accomplished much.. Gagner has...and Yakupov hasnt accomplished much but he's a 1st overall pick..

Sounds like a lot of bias to me.

cats31

Jun 19, 2013
Sounds like a lot of bias to me.

Exactly, Gagner and Kulikov have pretty much shown the same to this date. 2 guys with great potential but haven't put it all together. Kulikov is 2 years younger. Flyers fans have been offering Simmonds for Kulikov straight up. Simmonds>>>>>>>Gagner

Krisberdeau

Aug 4, 2013
Simmonds would be ideal. We need tempo - Get that sorted Tallon!

I dont think we shall look at Edmonton. I'd instead try getting someone from Jackets, maybe Umberger or Atkinson.

Justin Williams? Could mentor Huby

Last edited:

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
FLA:
-Yandle

PHO:
-Flash
-Robak
-3rd rounder

and

FLA:
-Simmonds
-Meszaros (pure cap dump)

PHI:
-Kulikov

Top6:
Upshall-Bark-Boyes
Huby-Bjugs-Simmonds

D:
Yandle-Guds
Campbell-Gilbert/Olsen/JOVOCOP
Meszaros-Weaver

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yandle would cost more than that.
Would need to throw in a better prospect and a higher pick. However, I don't think draft picks have that much value to Phx than it does for a rebuilding team.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
FLA:
-Yandle

PHO:
-Flash
-Robak
-3rd rounder

and

FLA:
-Simmonds
-Meszaros (pure cap dump)

PHI:
-Kulikov

Top6:
Upshall-Bark-Boyes
Huby-Bjugs-Simmonds

D:
Yandle-Guds
Campbell-Gilbert/Olsen/JOVOCOP
Meszaros-Weaver

that wont even be close to enough for yandle. we would need to add a significant piece, probably something similiar to bjugstad or trocheck, which is a no. i dont think phx want quantity, but if they want good quantity pieces, there might be a deal around shore, robak, flash and a young roster player

dont think we need a cap dump to get simmonds for kulikov, especially not one making 5.5 this year...

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think dangling Timmy at the trade deadline in front of teams in need of goaltending who are in win-now mode would be our best bet to get a nice return. Maybe deal him to a team like the Isles.. We might be able to get a strong return.. Some nice young prospects/ picks to further strengthen the core. I say prospects or picks because I think it's unrealistic to get a solid, NHLer in return, unless we can get lucky with a guy who needs a change of scenery.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I think dangling Timmy at the trade deadline in front of teams in need of goaltending who are in win-now mode would be our best bet to get a nice return. Maybe deal him to a team like the Isles.. We might be able to get a strong return.. Some nice young prospects/ picks to further strengthen the core. I say prospects or picks because I think it's unrealistic to get a solid, NHLer in return, unless we can get lucky with a guy who needs a change of scenery.

Who would be our starter next year? Please don't say Markstrom, give him another 2 years in the minors. Some players need to be overripened before theyre ready.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Who would be our starter next year? Please don't say Markstrom, give him another 2 years in the minors. Some players need to be overripened before theyre ready.

Acquire him via trade/ free agency. The same way we acquired Thomas. I like Timmy, but he's 39 and not a part of this team's future. Also, I agree Markstrom needs to stew in the minors until he flips the switch.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Acquire him via trade/ free agency. The same way we acquired Thomas. I like Timmy, but he's 39 and not a part of this team's future. Also, I agree Markstrom needs to stew in the minors until he flips the switch.

I'd be ok with that, I'm expecting an upgrade on defense this summer anyways.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
Keep Timmy T.

Kulikov and Marstrom bye bye.

I'm going to catch heat for this but I don't think Marky is living up to the "potential" he was projected to have.

Flame away. I caught crap about JayBlow way back when. Weiss (currently 3 points in 19 games..LOL), Dineen.

Don't care. Hate on me.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I know it's been beaten to death but with the cap going up and new ownership I thought I'd give this another kick at the can...

How would Panthers fans feel about Luongo, with 25% salary retained by Vancouver?

Possibly something along the lines of

Luongo (25% salary retained)
Tanev (RFA this offseason)

for

Shore or Howden?

Just throwing it out there...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If that contract was 2-3 years smaller, the trade would have happened ages ago I think.

The last few years are truly a gamble no one is willing to take, retained salary or not.

Panthers607

I know it's been beaten to death but with the cap going up and new ownership I thought I'd give this another kick at the can...

How would Panthers fans feel about Luongo, with 25% salary retained by Vancouver?

Possibly something along the lines of

Luongo (25% salary retained)
Tanev (RFA this offseason)

for

Shore or Howden?

Just throwing it out there...

I love, I mean love, Luongo but I'm not giving up assets for that contract.

Sorry :(

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If that contract was 2-3 years smaller, the trade would have happened ages ago I think.

The last few years are truly a gamble no one is willing to take, retained salary or not.

I know. Although I do feel the risk/gamble has been exaggerated. Realistically it will be about 1.3M or less of cap recapture penalties of the Panthers. I don't think that's a huge problem, personally.

If he retires at 39 after being traded to FLA this offseason

Vancouver Canucks (2018-19 through 2021-22) $2,202,667
Florida Panthers (2018-19 through 2021-22) $1,380,667

If he retires at 40, this is how it breaks down

Vancouver Canucks (2019-20 through 2021-22) $2,936,889
Florida Panthers (2019-20 through 2021-22) $1,190,444

If he gets traded to FLA this offseason and retires at 41

Vancouver Canucks (2020-21 through 2021-22) $4,405,333
Florida Panthers (2020-21 through 2021-22) $0

I do think that Luongo and Tanev would be make the Panthers better next year as it seems goaltending and positional play by FLA's defenceman have been issues for Florida. As a package deal for peanuts, your team could do worse.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad