Proposal: Let's go Wild and trade for Ryan Suter

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With news the Wild are open to moving Parise to Long Island, it's clear the era of dynamic duo in Minnesota is coming to an end. And that the Wild might finally be rebuilding in earnest.

With that news, if you can pick up Suter for minimal cost and the 5 remaining years of his contract... do you do it? Guy is still a useful defender, FROM THE LEFT SIDE, that is logging the 9th most minutes in the NHL.

The Wings would be taking on a $7.5 million dollar cap hit until 2025. But, due to the whole recapture thing, the Wild are taking all the risk here if Suter retires.

Pros
- We finally get Suter
- Stabilizes blueline a ton
- Plays left side
- Currently worth his cap hit
- No dead cap if he retires early

Cons
- Eats some decent cap space
- Likely overpaid last few years
- Ricelund is vindicated

This thread is tongue in cheek, but also... like I don't hate it. The next 3 years it would be a huge add. He's exactly the kind of guy we need to stop the bleeding. But I worry the last couple years, when the Wings would hopefully be swinging back around, and the cap hit being prohibitive then.

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You forgot the biggest Con. The cost it would take for Minny to trade him to us.

You think it would be significant? I don't. But obviously that changes things if it's expensive to acquire a 35-year-old under contract until he's 40.

Reactions: avssuc

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You think it would be significant? I don't. But obviously that changes things if it's expensive to acquire a 35-year-old under contract until he's 40.
He's still a really good player. If it were cheap I think many teams would be all over it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's still a really good player. If it were cheap I think many teams would be all over it.

I'm working from the position that I don't think many teams would be willing to take on a $37.5 million dollar contract for the next 5 years for a 35-year-old. Actually closer to 36 by the time the season starts. Age 41 when the deal is finally done.

Certainly less than Subban was moved for this off-season, for example.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm working from the position that I don't think many teams would be willing to take on a $37.5 million dollar contract for the next 5 years for a 35-year-old. Actually closer to 36 by the time the season starts. Age 41 when the deal is finally done.

Certainly less than Subban was moved for this off-season, for example.
If it was less than what Subban was moved for and Minny actually would accept the return, I think it would have happened by now. I don't think Minny is willing to gamble on the recapture without an overpayment.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If it was less than what Subban was moved for and Minny actually would accept the return, I think it would have happened by now. I don't think Minny is willing to gamble on the recapture without an overpayment.

Recapture is pretty sticky. This is all a thought experiment anyway. And I do think Parise gets moved this off-season. Too much smoke around it from the start of the season until now. If they are willing to move him, it's basically the same scenario with Suter.

It seems understood by teams that if you take on one of these guys, and they do retire, it's this gentleman's LTIR agreement. Like Zetterberg and Hossa, but you know, on another team.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Recapture is pretty sticky. This is all a thought experiment anyway. And I do think Parise gets moved this off-season. Too much smoke around it from the start of the season until now. If they are willing to move him, it's basically the same scenario with Suter.

It seems understood by teams that if you take on one of these guys, and they do retire, it's this gentleman's LTIR agreement. Like Zetterberg and Hossa, but you know, on another team.
ya but the question is, what does Minny accept for taking on that risk. I personally think it would be more than what Subban got.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
pp,550x550.u1.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I haven't run into him yet! Although his picture was up at a burger place I used to visit, he never stopped in with the family while I was there. But trust me, if I run into the guy the first thing I'm asking is what happened with Detroit and if he's aware that he ruined @Ricelund 's entire online persona.

I was thinking more you start the diabolical plan of taking half of Suter's stuff and his current lady so we can get him introduced to a Michigan lady. But fine you fight for @Ricelund that seems worth it...:laugh:

Reactions: Ricelund

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
hahaha the last 5 years of one of the league's highest paid defenseman and he is 35. So he will b e a 8 million dollar 38-39 year old the year we start making the playoffs. Ummmmm no

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m just trying to think of what R&B song fits this thread best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad