Proposal: Let's get rid of the White-out

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The facts are that since the whiteout came:
- The Jets do better in away games.
- The Jets' home record was better before the whiteout.

IMO the whiteout inspires the opponent.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yeah but he said even the Hockey Guy had noticed!! Whoever that is, I guess someone on youtube.
Yeah, the Hockey Guy is a YouTuber. I actually have watched quite a few of his videos, usually is pretty balanced and has decent takes (when he even has takes, most of the time he just talks about the stats without opinions). I haven't seen the video in question, I doubt he said the WhiteOut should end, just noted the stat. Who cares, WhiteOut is for the fans, for fun, etc. as others have said. I don't have anything else to add above-and-beyond the bajillion posts I've already liked or loved in this thread.

I see people say that they've reached their limit for daily likes ... thought I was going to hit it, but it must be really high because HFboards hasn't stopped me yet.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
How deep do the jets need to go these playoffs for fans to realize the color of clothes fans wear don't determine the outcome of the game?

It's all about fun. But hypothetically let's say I agreed with you. You must then say the same
for other teams and sports who do the same thing . Like in the NBA playoffs . If your objection is solely aimed at the Jets, then I don't know what to say to you.. Why wear Jerseys then at all? Afterall it wont help determine the winner of games right? You must extend this to a pet oeeve you have about sports. It can't just be a Jets thing.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, the white-out looks cool. But it doesn't work. Time to bury it with the Arizona Coyotes. The Jets do better on the road!

(Even The Hockey Guy has noticed this.)
Sorry getting to a conference final is considered not working?

Some teams have not made playoffs since we came into the league fyi, while others have gotten out of the first round a single time in the past 12 years.

The whiteout is something special to this city, it reps old and new, you win with it and you lose with it, thats hockey.

WHITE OUT STAYS FOREVER!

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Flawed logic and no way to prove. Cant it inspire both teams to a degree or neither? Whos to say the Jets home playoff record would not potentially be even worse without the whiteout? If its no effect then it doesn't matter and its simply a fun experience for the fans . What about other sports like NBA fans all wearing the same clothes to cheer playoffs games? Why single out Jets fans? You can argue singing at soccer games can inspire the opponents of the other team. Taunting the goalie in hockey Etc

I guess my question is : Are fans allowed to have fun? And if there's no measurable way to prove if it effects the game either way, then you cannot assume it effects it negativity by default.

Last edited:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
1713362491979.gif

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

lol,, prove it. Prove that the Whiteout is the reason for the Jets playoff record so far. Prove they would have done better without the whiteout or with some other type of fan thing instead.

Just ridiculous...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

You mean pre-1987 (ie inception of whiteout) the home record was better? They won ONE series vs Calgary and got smoked 3 times by the Oilers. And not just smoked, swept out the door. Also swept once by the Flames and lost 3-1 to the Blues. Which means they lost a lot more playoff games than they won. Unless you are going farther back to the WHA days, perhaps their playoff win loss record was better without the white out. But I'm looking at the NHL.

OR if you mean since the Jets 2.0 re-introduced the white out their record was better which is true...because they didn't have any playoff games!

So basically, your facts are bullshit. The white out has no affect on the outcome. The Jets have just been historically mediocre in the playoffs outside of one season and a couple series wins in the 80s.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
All fans cheer extra loudly in the playoffs. Basically all fans wear the same colour as each other to playoff games. But our cheering and colour is wrong and causing the team to lose.

Reactions: Jets 31

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I agree 100000%
I have said exactly this from the first moment years and years ago.
it’s a loser tradition from a loser franchise.

Typical winnipeg living in the past.
Time to actually progress into something new!

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
Next thing you know this OP or someone else will post that the whiteout is racist and offensive to people of colour.

Reactions: Jets 31

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

soo the pressure of home games isn't the screaming fans or the massive media and public attention. that exists in the market during the playoffs....

it's the colour the fans wear.... OK..

so you are suggesting the pressure of a brown out or a green out or a "wear whatever colour you like " filled arena of screaming fans, media,.and public support and attention is a guarantee of success?

Correlation is not causation.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree 100000%
I have said exactly this from the first moment years and years ago.
it’s a loser tradition from a loser franchise.

Typical winnipeg living in the past.
Time to actually progress into something new!
Really? You actually feel this way? The Winnipeg Whiteout is great fun and something original created by us fans. It has absolutely nothing to do with losing in the playoffs . You don't think it looks absolutely awesome in the arena and on TV ? I personally love it, shows great passion from the fans.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Really? You actually feel this way? The Winnipeg Whiteout is great fun and something original created by us fans. It has absolutely nothing to do with losing in the playoffs . You don't think it looks absolutely awesome in the arena and on TV ? I personally love it, shows great passion from the fans.

haven't you heard?? It's time to progress into something new!! That wild and crazy new color purple is totally happening! Let's do that! Or, that hip new Aquamarine Blue! So fresh! No way we lose a home game with that color filling the stands!

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog and Jets 31

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Yes I actually do feel this way.
I know I am in the minority and I accept that.

I just feel it’s time for something new.

• Wow
Reactions: HighFlyingJets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad