Let's debate Powerplay QB: Letang vs. Schultz

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Another thing to look at would be zone entries, but I'm not sure where to find those stats. I'm sure they're out there though. This is an area where I think letang would have the advantage.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Another thing to look at would be zone entries, but I'm not sure where to find those stats. I'm sure they're out there though. This is an area where I think letang would have the advantage.
One would think, but if you watch him, he almost never skates the puck in. He skates it up to the red line and drop-passes to Phil, Geno, or Sid, who carry it in.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
One would think, but if you watch him, he almost never skates the puck in. He skates it up to the red line and drop-passes to Phil, Geno, or Sid, who carry it in.

Right, and that would make it tough to measure too, because they run that same play regardless of which D are out there. I guess my thinking was if you eliminate that drawn up entry, and rely on the ad lib reactionary entry then Letang is probably the guy.

At the end of the day were complaining about two guys who are both well above average as far as PP Defensemen go. Good problem to have.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah zone entry I don't think it's a fair argument either way. Both are subject to a pretty boring set play that we haven't changed in a good while. So I can't really tell you who is better because we refuse to do anything but our one set.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
don't care what the numbers say. letang is utterly laughable and forcefed opportunities

But, the numbers dispute this

I think the main issue is our collective power play. Letang symbolizes it perfectly because he overthinks every play, just like Crosby and Malkin.

I'd argue Schultz, Hornqvist and Kessel are our most effective players because they play the most stationary and simple games.

The issue is that Letang, Malkin and Crosby's creativity when working is what gives us a top three power play.

It is why Washington's power play has always been effective, there is little creativity, the play is built around Ovechkin's slap shot.

Our power play has too many cooks, which at times makes it extremely disjointed.

Not to mention Bylsma's strategy was literally just let them out creative the other team.

Last edited:
Reactions: SidCity

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Schultz is the better PP QB. I think most fans agree with that on eye test. I think the numbers were in his favour last season, and the number I'd really like to see (and might try calculating myself) is our PP success last season when Letang was injured. Memory says that one heavily favoured Schultz and I think its the most important one. Its not about who's producing themselves, its about who enables success.

But - all this said - Letang is clearly not chopped liver there. The stats speak for themselves. Getting to choose between Letang and Schultz is nice.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I will give the one clear advantage of recovery to Letang. I think he's the best in the NHL at recovering due to his athleticism and speed. No doubt on that one.

For our PP that’s a big advantage since the forwards make some high risk passes but do they do that more because they know Letang will bail them out. Chicken or the egg lol.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If someone mentioned it already I apologize, but what was the team's PP% success rate during the playoffs last year?

Anyway, I always think back to two moments last spring when it comes to the difference between Letang and Schultz on the PP. Schultz's winner in game 5 against the Caps, and his goal against Ottawa in the late stages of game 7.

When's the last time Letang blew one over a goalie's shoulder on a one timer, or ding one in off the inside of the post through a screen on a wrist shot with his head up the whole way?

The problem with Letang is that you can tell he lacks confidence with his shot. Unfortunately, that forces him to defer way too often (after a pump fake or two) making what he'll do all too predictable.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Two things I've always thought you need on the PP from your guy on the point.

1. He MUST be a threat as a shooter. Shot ideally will have velocity, but he has to be able to get it through with some regularity.

2. He MUST have not only the vision to see the entire offensive zone but also the subtlety to not telegraph plays and to look off penalty killers.

It's why a guy like Gonchar was so good there for his entire career. And, it's why Schultz is the preferred choice. Yes, Letang probably is better on zone entries, but on a properly designed PP with Sid, Geno, and Kessel, it wouldn't make as much of a difference as it does on our PP breakouts and transition.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Its commendable to provide stats here to compare but unless its apple to apple it just doesn't say anything.
Pts or shots/60 etc. only makes sense to compare in this situation if the role is identical. Our first unit PP is the one that scores. We only use one D-man there, and whichever minutes you get on the second will be much less productive no matter who you are.

This season Letang has much better numbers than Schultz because for the majority of the time, he is playing first unit. It is also very possible that his skating means he helps increase time spent in the offensive zone and that he gets to take more shots (I'd want that as the opposition too - Letang being the shooter on our PP, that is), but to the naked eye our PP looks much, much more purposeful and controlled when Schultz is there. I don't see how there could even be a debate on it.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Letang is the better player in all facets of game though.

Well yeah. He's much more athletic, he's better in the D Zone, and he's harder to outmuscle. If this thread was "let's debate #1 defenseman Letang vs Schultz, then Letang would be the obvious answer. But that would be a dumb debate, and it's also not what the thread is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If someone mentioned it already I apologize, but what was the team's PP% success rate during the playoffs last year?

Anyway, I always think back to two moments last spring when it comes to the difference between Letang and Schultz on the PP. Schultz's winner in game 5 against the Caps, and his goal against Ottawa in the late stages of game 7.

When's the last time Letang blew one over a goalie's shoulder on a one timer, or ding one in off the inside of the post through a screen on a wrist shot with his head up the whole way?

The problem with Letang is that you can tell he lacks confidence with his shot. Unfortunately, that forces him to defer way too often (after a pump fake or two) making what he'll do all too predictable.

20.5 for the play offs last year
And
23.4 for the play offs the year before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad